Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

First deaths attributed to PO

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

First deaths attributed to PO

Unread postby allenwrench » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 08:42:51

On the news they reported that Meals on Wheels is having problems meeting its demands due to high gas and food costs.

They said that 2 persons died from not having deliveries of the meals due to volunteers not being able to afford the gas.

These may be some of the first deaths attributed to PO.
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: First deaths attributed to PO

Unread postby Jenab6 » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 09:21:25

allenwrench wrote:They said that 2 persons died from not having deliveries of the meals due to volunteers not being able to afford the gas. These may be some of the first deaths attributed to PO.

A distinction. But probably not an honor.
Jenab6
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby blukatzen » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 11:47:22

allenwrench wrote:On the news they reported that Meals on Wheels is having problems meeting its demands due to high gas and food costs.

They said that 2 persons died from not having deliveries of the meals due to volunteers not being able to afford the gas.

These may be some of the first deaths attributed to PO.

Having delivered Meals On Wheels myself for several years (not lately though) I would say that this sounds false. The hospital that runs the operation is well aware and there is a cadre of social workers, etc. that are charged with NOT letting something like this happen. In mid to larger cities, there are also Senior centers where seniors can get a hot cooked meal for little to no charge.

If there was a case where 2 people died, it may have been from natural causes, especially since many of these folks have multiple other problems, the people I delivered to were in many cases, in their 90's, or had diabetes (they were amputees), and it could have been attributable to the illness instead of starvation.

Do you have a news source for this please? I cringe when I see things like "they said"...WHO said? (yes, BESIDES the news reporter....)

Blu
who has done senior care for members of her own family.
blukatzen
Expert
Expert

Unread postby VMarcHart » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 17:31:48

Alas, the correlation of high gasoline price and peak oil is weak. Gasoline/oil is high-priced because of the highly-correlated high DEMAND. The last barrel of oil could cost a penny, if there's no demand for it.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:47:25

allenwrench wrote:

That's quite a few missed meals.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 21:19:53

Some would argue that the "first deaths attributed to PO" happened a long time ago.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BigTex » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 23:22:38

MonsieurX wrote:Congress murdered them with their gas tax and prohibition of hydrocarbon drilling on over 10,000 miles of US coastline.

I disagree.

This was clearly an act of terrorism.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mommy22 » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 21:57:23

I actually do this for my job...delivering meals to the elderly. I work for the county and the meals are free to the elderly.
I would have to say that, while many of the elderly really look forward to the meal, they often have family looking in and making sure that they have additional food. Plus, we have quite a few social workers who visit them regularly.
It's not happened to me (yet) but several of my co-workers have had the experience of delivering a meal, and finding someone who has passed on. The good news is that they did die in their home, rather than in an institution.
I would question whether this is really PO related.
mommy22
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby bobcousins » Sat 12 Jul 2008, 18:07:36

Two down, 4,999,999,998 to go...

News source CBS: High Gas Prices Deadly For Sick & Elderly

Hmm, a couple of old people died. Not really news.
It's all downhill from here
bobcousins
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ushoys » Mon 21 Jul 2008, 22:30:35

First deaths where? Worldwide, one would expect that many thousands have already died as a direct result of peak oil. The poorest of the poor countries, whole populations now barely holding on, will be the next to go. "Meals on wheels" recipients, as a whole, are probably well down the dispatch order.
Last edited by ushoys on Tue 16 Sep 2008, 20:28:31, edited 1 time in total.
ushoys
Wood
Wood

Unread postby girlscout » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 05:10:54

Sadly, I'm sure there will be many deaths this winter as some will not be able to afford to heat their homes. My brother has a job delivering oil, and last season he delivered to a house where an elderly woman was living in a converted chicken coup in her backyard because heating the house was too expensive.
girlscout
Wood
Wood

Unread postby slesh » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 07:55:48

girlscout wrote:Sadly, I'm sure there will be many deaths this winter as some will not be able to afford to heat their homes. My brother has a job delivering oil, and last season he delivered to a house where an elderly woman was living in a converted chicken coup in her backyard because heating the house was too expensive.

girlscout, you are dead on with this post here. My mom and dad had home heating oil, hell, roughly 20-25% of homes around Niagara Falls, Buffalo, New York still have fuel oil heating systems.
Last year families were forced to shelters or donations to keep the heat flowing and that was when oil was much cheaper. My father paid (in this area, Buffalo never really grew so this should be an eye opener to people) 800.00 a month to fill a 200 gallon tank.
This year he estimated that if he had kept his fuel oil furnace he would have paid almost 2,000.00 a month. How can the low income families even remotely touch this number. No, I agree with you, this winter is truely going to tell the tale. Thanks for the post.
slesh
Wood
Wood

Return to Peak Oil Discussion