Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Got a call from the oil and gas industry.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Got a call from the oil and gas industry.

Unread postby killJOY » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:00:27

This is rich. I'm eating dinner when the phone rings.

I almost didn't pick it up.

A woman wanted to ask me questions.... about energy!

"Why, sure!" I said. "It's right up my alley."

The gist of the interview is this:

The "oil and gas industry" is apparently interested in what the American public think of their various advertisements about the high price of "energy."

Did I agree or disagree that the price of crude oil is the most important factor behind gas prices?

Did I agree or disagree that the American public benefits from oil and gas prices through retirements and pension funds?

Did I agree or disagree that 2/3 of our current energy supply comes from "North America"?

Did I agree of disagree that by the year 2030 we're going to need X% more oil and gas?

She asked questions about the details of various TV and radio ads. The TV ads I've only seen by chance in public places, because we don't have a TV here, but I distinctly remember the one of the woman strolling across a map, bragging about all the energy we have right here in "North America."

I was asked an open-ended question about the advertisements from the "oil and gas industry," which the woman promised to type out verbatim.

Oh, goody!

"My impression of these ads is that they want to project a cocksure attitude about the future, that everything is going to be A-OK."

"Could you say more about this cocksure attitude?"

"Sure. I think it's hiding something."

"What would that be?"

"The dirty secret of oil depletion."

"What do you mean by oil depletion?"

"The fact that the major oilfields in the world are in a state of permanent decline."

:twisted:

My overall impression of the interview is that "the oil and gas industry" want people to "know" that "we" have enough oil and gas to supply us "North Americans" for X amount of time, and don't worry about high prices because all Americans benefit from them!
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Got a call from the oil and gas industry.

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:04:16

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You should have told her about the 6 billion die-off man!
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:07:58

Well! What was her response to your last statement about the permanence of decline of major fields?

Man, I hope I get a call like that.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby killJOY » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:11:32

You should have told her about the 6 billion die-off man!

It was very scripted. I had to answer questions about certain ads. Plus, I wanted her to take me seriously (even though I secretly think die-off is possible).

Well! What was her response to your last statement about the permanence of decline of major fields?

Nothing, but I could hear her typing madly. There was never a chance to engage in conversation.

In fact, on the question about high crude oil prices being behind the high cost of gasoline, I tried to say that high crude oil price is a symptom of a greater problem, but she said, "I can only address what's in the question," or something like that.
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kpeavey » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:56:53

The probability of any other member getting that call is low. The chances of someone getting the call who is Peak Oil aware is low. This is a PR/propaganda campaign.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby CarlinsDarlin » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 21:12:05

I got the same call here about 3 weeks ago. She was asking me all kinds of questions about my opinions of their advertising, etc... I told her she needed to check out peakoil.com :)
K
CarlinsDarlin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 21:49:22

Sounds like a classic Push Poll.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 01:58:19

Too bad you didn't rattle her cage. They probably record every conversation.
mos6507

Unread postby ClassicSpiderman » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 13:24:04

I got a call like that once. It was asking for my opinion on hydrogen fuel cells. Totally rigged to make me say that hydrogen will solve the energy crisis.
ClassicSpiderman
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Peak Oil Discussion