Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What fraction of your income goes for energy?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

What fraction of your income goes for energy?

Unread postby Denny » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 20:54:07

According to this, 7% of Canadians inocme goes for energy in various forms. That is supposed to be a record.

"The pain Canadians feel when they fill up at the gas pump or open their electricity or gas bills will only get worse as energy now consumes a record seven per cent of Canadian household spending, says a new report

Gasoline prices averaged just under $1.40 a litre across Canada on Wednesday, a record high. And they should move even higher as demand picks up during the summer driving season.

Meanwhile, natural gas prices and electricity prices have also risen, taking a bigger bite out of the average homeowner's pocket."

First off, it surprises me that this 7% is a record at all. Think back to things like the Great Depression, many people could not even afford coal.

Secondly, 7% is a small number for what amounts to the greatest servant any human generation has employed. Just 7% to keep warm in winter, cool in summer, get ourselves and all our stuff from pont A to point B, power all our communications infrastructure and assist so greatly in food production. Millions and millions of mechanical muscles in our factories, mines and mills.

7% is a real bargain, let's stop whining. Canada spends 10% of its GDP just for health care. We sure have a lot more to show for the measly 7% spent on energy.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: What fraction of your income goes for energy?

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 21:09:52

Gross or net?
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Precipice » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 22:00:20

7% may not sound like much I agree-but it's the relative income expenditure on energy that is important. The whole viability of the present (global, capitalistic endless growth) economy is built on the foundation of cheap energy, because cheaper energy means greater output per input efficiency in production and in consumption (especially the acquisition of goods and services for consumption). It also guarantees continued economic growth so long as it is sufficiently avaliable at low prices.

A bad analogy: the amount of blood in a human body might only make up a small percentage of total body mass, but even if that percentage decreased only slightly it could severely disrupt the whole bodily system (perhaps fatally).

The General Equilibrium effects have to be taken into consideration: if everyone starts spending 30-50% of income on energy, that's 30-50% of every person's income that is not going to consumption of other goods (esp luxuries) which has devestating implications for whole industries and sectors. At the household level, someone spending a large fraction of income on energy compared to before is bound to see a sharp decline in living standards.
Precipice
Wood
Wood

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 22:09:39

I that direct energy expenditures or total? The total is probably at least 5 times the direct. If 7% is total, then that's not bad at all.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 22:09:44

I think we spend around 5% on energy, but we live in a cold state. We use half the energy we used to, but the cost of energy has more than doubled, so we're in the same place.

A lot of people around here are falling back, however.
Here are the changes we've made to use less energy: link

Click on the pics for an explanation.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Denny » Wed 09 Jul 2008, 22:15:00

RedStateGreen wrote:Gross or net?

The article says 7% of household spending. So, I expect that is from net income. We do not count income taxes, EI (employment insurance) or CPP (social security in the U.S. term) deductions as part of household spending.

Whereas, the 10% I quoted for health spending is from GDP so that would be about 10% of gross income. Thankfully, I spend a whole lot more time using energy than I spend using health care.

I that direct energy expenditures or total?

I assume its only direct energy expenditures. So, its basically fuel for the car, natural gas and electricity for the home. So, I was in error thinking the 7% included the energy built into food, manufactured goods and transportation of goods. Still, I think 7% is not too bad.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 00:41:54

About 4%... maybe 5% from NOV to MAR.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 00:55:04

At this exact moment... 10% in the summer (April-August) because I work less and income is down.

In the winter (we heat with wood so our expenditure does not change much but I am making more because I work more overtime) it is 7%.

If I can get the new job to come through it will hover between 5-7% depending upon the availability of overtime. My daily commute will actually decrease by 75% but the pay will also be less
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 01:13:46

It's a hard question for me to answer. My home utilities and gasoline is maybe 3-4% of my net. I also travel for business a ton. I'm not sure how to count things like airfare and cab fare. I have an office, but the electricity there is included in the rent, so I don't really know how much it is.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Denny » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 01:16:20

I forgot to put in my own estimate. It would work to about 8% of our combined net income.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mobil1 » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 01:21:17

7% sounds about right.

We were paying about $6,000 per year for 2 cars gas and electric and heating oil a few years ago.

At current prices that would be about $8,000.

But I bought a Prius so gas cost is lower. But I commute to work now. But my wife is taking leave and she will drive less and we will make less.

But with current energy prices and the Prius and conservation and using electric heat and with our lower income, I think we will still be at 7% for 2008-2009.
mobil1
Peat
Peat

Unread postby skeptik » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 02:15:05

Quite small, I've never felt the need to work it out. Certainly rent (expensive here on the coast) and food&booze are my major outgoings- I do like to eat well! At my location on the Spanish Mediterranean coast the climate is comparatively mild. I have no central heating. Occasionally during the last winter I lit a log fire in the evening for a few hours- a couple of dozen Oak or Almond logs over the winter. I have no A/C . Cooling in summer consists of a couple of ceiling mounted fans and a tiny 16W tabletop. No TV and not many gadgets. iPod and 25 year old HiFi.

Small sub-counter fridge and automatic front loading washing machine, both less than one year old , good quality German models, Miele and Liebherr, top rating for energy efficiency. No tumble drier - not needed in the Spanish climate. Cooking is by bottled butane - the most common method in Spain. I've been using the same small size bottle for over a year @ €12 a bottle as of last October - burns noticeably hotter than methane! Some people also run central heating on bottled butane and for a family size house take delivery of one or two 6 foot high bottles per season. I think most of this butane comes from Russia and North Africa. Spain has very little domestic fossil fuel resource but is rapidly ramping up wind and solar energy.

My main means of transport is a 125cc motor scooter, as most round trips are >10Km. Costs 7 Euros to fill @ €1.30 a liter - gone up a lot in the last year! - for a 200+Km range. Also have a 50MPG (combined cycle figure, US gallons) diesel Citroen C3, 4 seater compact hatchback, but don't use it that often, maybe once or twice a week.
skeptik
Coal
Coal

Unread postby IslandCrow » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 04:32:14

After-tax about 8%, that includes all driving (I get some of it paid back by the company I work for). The break down is house 3,6% and car 4,4%.

However, what this doesn't show is that after buying the house I spent nearly 25% of the purchase price on energy improvements which works out at 70% of my after-tax income for a year (I made a huge bet that prices of energy would rise!). If I wrote off the expense over 10 years than I would be spending about 15% on energy. At current energy costs the savings made would pay for the investment in about 7 years!
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MrBill » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 05:14:12

I reduced my personal fuel expenditure to zero. Now I take taxis.
The organized state is a wonderful invention whereby everyone can live at someone else's expense.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kevincarter » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 09:41:43

Not much really as I live in Spain too. I'd say 50% of our energy expenses go to electricity and city gas and the other 50% goes to the the car and public transportation.

BUT, if I have to add car insurance, car taxes, driving taxes, public transport taxes, driving tickets (wrongly issued to me, of course!), insulation materials for my home and so on then the bill is a lot higher
kevincarter
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Jotapay » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 13:43:21

About 2.9% of my take home pay and 1.9% of my gross.

I only spend about $50 a month on gasoline now that I have a Yamaha scooter (90-100 miles per gallon). Natural gas and electricity for my house (1700 square feet) fill the balance of my energy usage.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby cube » Thu 10 Jul 2008, 16:40:43

Energy is a necessary component in the production of everything from hamburgers to houses so who knows how much society pays for energy. Somehow I like the number 10%.
My energy use is ridiculously low. I just moved to a high density neighborhood with restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance. I barely put miles on my car. I also live in a small studio with no air conditioning and it never gets too cold in Seattle, so my computer sucks up more energy than my entire heating and cooling bill.

I have no idea how much I spend on energy, I just know I'm paying more for the monthly parking garage rent. :roll:
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MrBill » Fri 11 Jul 2008, 04:04:51

I commend you, Cube, but your restaurants, cafes and grocery stores near your house also consume energy. That was my facetious comment about reducing my own personal energy consumption by taking taxis! ; - ))
The organized state is a wonderful invention whereby everyone can live at someone else's expense.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance