Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SEC going after Rumor Mongers

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

SEC going after Rumor Mongers

Unread postby Peleg » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 13:26:11

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

Something to take note of. Could this spread out into control of dissenting non-official opinions about the state of the economy? I would not be surprised to see it. Several professional disciplines already have laws supporting their exclusive right to speak about the issue they are expert in (even though not all experts agree on what those issues are.)

Something is afoot! On the other hand this might be a good step if it is what is appears to be, an attempt to make markets more transparent and information more reliable, especially when it comes form those who make a career out of anlyzing the markets.
Peleg
Lignite
Lignite

Re: SEC going after Rumor Mongers

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 13:37:02

Spreading a rumor is not illegal, though starting one can be. If you are in possession of privileged knowledge about a firm and and use that information to profit, then you may be guilty of insider trading. If you falsely claim to be in possession of privileged information about a firm and start a rumor in an effort to profit from the rumor, you may be guilty of fraud, slander, etc.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Peleg » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 13:59:09

Kingcoal wrote:Spreading a rumor is not illegal, though starting one can be. If you are in possession of privileged knowledge about a firm and and use that information to profit, then you may be guilty of insider trading. If you falsely claim to be in possession of privileged information about a firm and start a rumor in an effort to profit from the rumor, you may be guilty of fraud, slander, etc.

My understanding is that it is not slander unless it is'nt true. Well people and companies get slandered all the time, most cases are not prosecuted.

A question of some interest to us here is when does telling the truth about peak oil start to be considered 'harmful.' I hope we go the other way and that what we are doing here is seen as a quest for the truth and an attempt to warn, but is that really what you see in the history of the world? It helps that we have high profile public figures speaking about peak oil, Simmons, Heinberg and others. Are we so certain that it will always be that way? What if the sell in May and go away, retiring to their cozy green homesteads?

I'm concerned that sites like this might become a legitimate target of the war on terror at some point. What is the only logical conclusion of peak oil as regards the PTB?

I'm not trying to be paranoid (even though I tend to be.) I'm just saying, we have traders around here who are taking the info they get here and turning it into money. We used to constantly see guys coming in trying to advertise trading newsletters.

So incase the SEC is listening (added to the FBI and NSA who do stop in from time to time.) We did'nt do it! :-)
Peleg
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 19:20:52

Peleg wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=att8WSGL47u0&refer=home

Something to take note of. Could this spread out into control of dissenting non-official opinions about the state of the economy? I would not be surprised to see it. Several professional disciplines already have laws supporting their exclusive right to speak about the issue they are expert in (even though not all experts agree on what those issues are.)

Something is afoot! On the other hand this might be a good step if it is what is appears to be, an attempt to make markets more transparent and information more reliable, especially when it comes form those who make a career out of anlyzing the markets.

Could this extend to dissent about the state of capitalism?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 20:01:37

That's what I meant. If you make a lie and spread rumor and then put yourself into a position to profit from that falsehood, then you have committed fraud. Fraud is lying in order to profit.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance