Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is your bank on this list?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Is your bank on this list?

Unread postby drew » Fri 18 Jul 2008, 12:14:55

NO.......

However, I am playing the volatility in the sector. Sadly my timing and balls are slightly off, despite being in the money.

Bought CIBC (CM-T) at 57 last week and promptly watched it slide to 49 this wednesday.

Didn't have the cahones to buy more.

It is at 59 today!

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Fri 18 Jul 2008, 15:15:00

Irrelevant! FDIC covers up to $100K deposits. Now I'd be bummed if I owned shares in WaMu.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Fri 18 Jul 2008, 15:27:17

Bank Rate.Com

Another place where you can find a rating on your institution.

My Bank= 4/5 stars

My Employer's= 4/5 stars
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 18 Jul 2008, 15:34:12

Serial_Worrier wrote:Irrelevant! FDIC covers up to $100K deposits. Now I'd be bummed if I owned shares in WaMu.

Sort of like Santa Claus covers the Christmas presents?
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby xarkz » Fri 18 Jul 2008, 15:51:01

Is your bank on this list?

what about this list? :wink: http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/troubledbanks.htm

(from tickerforum). Its a list made to try to identify what banks are on the fdic troubled list, by using the "Texas Ratio". A bank with a ratio over 100% is likely to fail.
xarkz
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ferretlover » Fri 26 Sep 2008, 10:21:37

Bump: Cur lists a good link ( Bankrate.com )
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 26 Sep 2008, 13:03:48

Tex et al,

I respect our little group here and would like to hear comments on my post from another thread:

Repost:

Exactly how did WAMU get "bailed out"??? The bank was seized by the Feds and sold at a big discount to JPM. No depositors lost a penny and thus no FDIC funds were needed. JPM now has a much bigger base to expand lending. Given the apparent big discount JPM paid they'll likely make a nice profit on WAMU mortgage biz. WAMU still functions as a retail bank just fine (I know first hand...it's my bank and nothing has changed).

Of course, the WAMU shareholders were slaughtered (including that fund manager who put $8 billion onto WAMU last spring). But that's how it’s supposed to work, isn't it: you invest in a risky enterprise looking for big returns but the plan fails and you loose your investment. That's the same rule I accepted with every investment I've ever made.

Now WAMU failure is off the table. So how does this add pressure to Congress to bail out any banks??? The depositors lost no money, the mortgages are still in place and JPM now has a much bigger lending base and thus brings money to the market. And biz goes on as usually. The WAMU situation seems to argue against any bail outs. The only folks hurt were the shareholders. As I see it the US banking system is in better shape today due to WAMU's failure.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance