Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The new ICE

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

The new ICE

Unread postby vampyregirl » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 23:43:10

The Scuderi Group is expected to release a prototype of there Split Cycle Combustion engine later this year. link can explain the tech better than I can. Research indicates a major improvement in fuel efficiency and much lower exhaust emissions.
This along with other projects such as HCCI technology and the Sturman Combustion Cycle could make the current generation ICE obsolete.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: The new ICE

Unread postby Gerben » Wed 16 Jul 2008, 01:31:55

I like it. Since they don't have a prototype yet it's probably not going to be as good as they hope it will be. It's a good idea though.
Gerben
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: Holland, Belgica Foederata (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands)

Unread postby runcar » Mon 28 Jul 2008, 21:23:29

An interesting read indeed. I hope they are able to jump through all the patent hoops and bring this to market. Of particular interest are the low NOX emissions, which I will be much needed technology if they can deliver on this.
runcar
Wood
Wood

Unread postby aflatoxin » Mon 28 Jul 2008, 23:03:03

It looks cool.

I'd like to see the math that shows that it can exceed the efficiency of a modern turbosupercharged ICE.

This reminds me of a Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine. They were very fuel efficient, light, and tremendously powerful for their size.

The checkvalved intermediate passage is a neat idea, but I suspect there will be a lot of pumping loss. Sort of like the difference between a DI and IDI diesel.

If they can reduce heat rejection through the coolant system, and get good combustion with minimal exhaust temperature and low excess O2, they will have something.

Don't hold your breath.
aflatoxin
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Energy Technology