Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

WTH is going on with the markets right now?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

WTH is going on with the markets right now?

Unread postby jdumars » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 13:59:25

Everyone is acting like mystically everything that was wrong has suddenly been resolved. Oil dropping, Dow up, financial stocks recovering.

What is going on? What has fundamentally changed? Dante? Mr. Bill? paging all experts...
Dismantle globally, renew locally!
jdumars
Coal
Coal

Re: WTH is going on with the markets right now?

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:05:56

People were expecting earnings to be horrible this quarter. Really, really horrible.

As it turns out they are merely awful.

They are beating expectations (who cares if those expectations were of economic collapse?)

When the Markets realize that the economy is NOT recovering quickly, I expect to see the Dow fall below 10,000. Maybe even by the end of the year.

We aren't out of the woods yet, this is merely a dead cat bounce.

Don't forget that $150 billion in economic stimulus checks have allowed consumers to spend more than they earn in the past quarter. All of that money is gone.

Q3 is going to scary.:evil:
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JJ » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:06:31

ditto...they were ridiculing me at work yesterday...stock markets up, oils down, blah blah... hows that nostradamus...
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby joeltrout » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:08:19

Don't let daily, weekly, or even monthly swings in the stock market get you. They trade on news.

This time the news was bad but not as bad as everyone expected therefore it was good.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jdumars » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:11:06

JJ wrote:ditto...they were ridiculing me at work yesterday...stock markets up, oils down, blah blah... hows that nostradamus...

Yeah, I am losing some street cred on this too.

Something Simmons said recently regarding oil price floor has been sticking with me. His idea was, every time there's a new record, that becomes the "floor price" -- so people aren't foolishly waiting for it to go back to $40/barrel and not investing in new infrastructure.

So, these retracements are EXTREMELY damaging even if they are only short lived. People will use this is as an example of why it's a "bubble" and not fundamentals. Never mind that it's only going back to the $120 range and not $80.
Dismantle globally, renew locally!
jdumars
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:12:38

Stocks are up today on a mix of cheaper oil, reasonable earnings numbers, and a semi-decent housing starts figure.

Housing starts were good this month (up 11.6% from last month) but we're 26.9% below last June's level.

Housing Starts #

But the gold market wasn't fooled.

Gold is up another $15 today. We're up more than $100 in the past month alone. :)
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:13:11

And do not join up with yea brethren of little faith. Oil is heading upward for all the reasons. It just likes to return now and then to pay brief social visits with old prices along the way.

Nothing can stop the march upward other than a catastrophic economic calamity which isn't scheduled to arrive until later.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Peepers » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:13:44

I realize America hasn't been around for a long time, but to judge the future of the republic and the global economy on several days' worth of economic news? What in the world is the attention span of these people? Geez, my cat has a longer attention span....
Peepers
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby HEADER_RACK » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:17:34

DENIAL
Nothing is more dangerous than a man with nothing left to lose but has everything left to gain.
HEADER_RACK
Coal
Coal

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:18:58

the sec going after short sellers in financials has also had a large impact i think...Short Sellers
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby heroineworshipper » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:19:46

It's the dot bank boom. Banks are the next big thing. You gotta get in because it's only a matter of time before banks turn a profit and once they start making money, there's going to be a Google bank.
People first, then things, then dollars.
There will be enslavement, cannibalism, & zombie invasions.
heroineworshipper
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Starvid » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:28:22

So when do you think the DOW hits 4000?
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:34:05

Tyler_JC wrote:Stocks are up today on a mix of cheaper oil, reasonable earnings numbers, and a semi-decent housing starts figure.

Housing starts were good this month (up 11.6% from last month) but we're 26.9% below last June's level.

Housing Starts #

Read [s]that[/s] this article a little more closely.

A change in zoning practices in NYC is what prompted the increase, all of which was multi-family.

Single-family housing starts were still down 4% M/M (and, of course, Y/Y).
Last edited by emersonbiggins on Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:37:57, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby HEADER_RACK » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:36:53

After an amazing five-year run when the world saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) increase in value fivefold, prices peaked at 381.17 on September 3, 1929. The market then fell sharply for a month, losing 17% of its value on the initial leg down. Prices then recovered more than half of the losses over the next week, only to turn back down immediately afterwards. The decline then accelerated into the so-called "Black Thursday", October 24, 1929.

Wiki

Intresting
Nothing is more dangerous than a man with nothing left to lose but has everything left to gain.
HEADER_RACK
Coal
Coal

Unread postby UncoveringTruths » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:37:04

Is this the rinse and repeat scenario?

Are we rinsing off all the bad data trying to make a comeback in the markets only to be beaten back down later by higher energy prices?

IMO we will have to use more energy to drive the economy back up and when that comes to a realization then it will be two steps back.

Rinse and Repeat...

I'm glad we have some optimists out there. It gives us some time.
It's a cold cold world when a man has to pawn his shoes.
UncoveringTruths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:54:37

emersonbiggins wrote:
Tyler_JC wrote:Stocks are up today on a mix of cheaper oil, reasonable earnings numbers, and a semi-decent housing starts figure.

Housing Starts #

Read [s]that[/s] this article a little more closely.

A change in zoning practices in NYC is what prompted the increase, all of which was multi-family.

Single-family housing starts were still down 4% M/M (and, of course, Y/Y).

Good pick up EB - I had come across that as well, but I wasn't sure iif the cited numbers were from NY or all of the U.S..
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JJ » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 15:03:26

UncoveringTruths wrote:Is this the rinse and repeat scenario?

Are we rinsing off all the bad data trying to make a comeback in the markets only to be beaten back down later by higher energy prices?

IMO we will have to use more energy to drive the economy back up and when that comes to a realization then it will be two steps back.

Rinse and Repeat...

I'm glad we have some optimists out there. It gives us some time.

:):):)
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 15:04:22

My take, oil prices finally got high enough that demand destruction happened and price is correcting down to a more sustainable slope. Actually it happened to all the fossil fuels. Natural gas and coal are way down too.

The airlines and others have predictably got out their kazoos and are having a little party about the busting of the energy bubble. Somewhere between a week and maybe a month from now, energy commodities will finish their correction and head back up. All the partiers will turn back into Eeyores.

It's pretty amazing to watch isn't it? Yesterday American Airlines announced $1 billion in losses. On that news their stock is up 50% in two days.

Tyler_JC wrote:But the gold market wasn't fooled.

Gold is up another $15 today.

Not anymore. Down $5 at this point. Faked me out. :( Hopefully it'll stop at $955 and reverse tommorrow.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby emeraldg40 » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 15:32:44

smallpoxgirl wrote:My take, oil prices finally got high enough that demand destruction happened and price is correcting down to a more sustainable slope. Actually it happened to all the fossil fuels. Natural gas and coal are way down too.

The airlines and others have predictably got out their kazoos and are having a little party about the busting of the energy bubble. Somewhere between a week and maybe a month from now, energy commodities will finish their correction and head back up. All the partiers will turn back into Eeyores.

It's pretty amazing to watch isn't it? Yesterday American Airlines announced $1 billion in losses. On that news their stock is up 50% in two days.

Wondering if AA will take GMs lead and slash retiree health.

Tyler_JC wrote:But the gold market wasn't fooled.

Gold is up another $15 today.

Not anymore. Down $5 at this point. Faked me out. :( Hopefully it'll stop at $955 and reverse tommorrow.
emeraldg40
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Economics & Finance