Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

the growing American nightmare

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

the growing American nightmare

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 20:18:14

link Mad-max style coming to suburbia near you.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: the growing American nightmare

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 20:28:05

And it's going to keep getting worse.

That's the scary part.

Home values are going to keep dropping and dropping and dropping.

Some poor fools actually believe scam shops like the NAR when they say, "it appears we're near the bottom - good time to buy."

I think they're close.

I'd amend it, scatological, to say, "it appears we're near the bottom - good time to put on the biohazard suit to avoid direct contact with the discharge."
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aldente » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 20:40:48

Cashmere!

Your Avatar is ugly.

Here is one that would be great: link

Simply copy, download and go from there.
Albente
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 20:50:59

Great article, straight out of The Long Emergency I think some suburbs can be saved with light rail but others will fade instead of "the inner city gangland" we'll have "the outer city suburbs"

The article even says McMansion, that' the first I've seen the MSM acknowledge the word. It'll be in Webster’s by 2009...
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 22:06:52

It's already in Wikipedia: link
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 22:51:44

Plus, some suburbias are different than others ( I'm not familiar with California's ) because I certainly live in suburbia and most certainly don't need to move to be closer to work or a grocery store, or a community, or the kids schools or anything. Maybe I'm already in a different kind of suburbia than the ones where people accepted 60 mile one way commutes to get a cheaper house?

I'm with you. I've lived in two suburbias and neither are all that bad. My first one was about 7-10 miles from town center (the town was pretty spread out) and it was rural. Not the worst thing, but pretty good also, especially if I lived there long term (good farm land, close to rail lines and town, etc).

Now I'm about 4 miles to my nearest town center, 2 miles from the grocer, 1.5 miles from a mall, and 7-10 miles (depending if I take the bus) from my school and work. Very commutable on a bike. Mass transit is shit, but we've got enough money that it's possible for a transition before it gets too bad (doubtful it will go through).

But from what I've read about Western suburbia, it sounds like Hell. Who wants to spend 50 minutes each way to work for five days a week? And then have to go 10 miles to the store, school, dentist, etc.?
I didn't see any references to Mad Max in the article

I doubt we'll ever see Mad Max in an article. A bit too doomerish for the always-optimistic media. Same goes for Easter Island, cannibalism, etc. Just too "icky" for most people.
But it was pretty clear that he was talking about the vandalism, crime rates, "ghettoization" of the suburbs, etc.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 22 Jul 2008, 23:00:20

Hogan wrote:
The so-called McMansion, he said, will become the new multi-family home for the poor.

:twisted:

Are you kidding? All those stinky dirty non-white people???? no way myen!
Say hello to my little friend! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: [smilie=qright2.gif] [smilie=qright2.gif] [smilie=qright2.gif] [smilie=qright2.gif]
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance