Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

WTO Future in Doubt as Talks Collapse...

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

WTO Future in Doubt as Talks Collapse...

Unread postby roccman » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 12:22:47

Link

JOHANNESBURG (Business Day) --Hopes of saving a world trade deal were dashed when World Trade Organisation (WTO) talks collapsed last night in Geneva, dealing a major blow to the global economy and raising questions over the continued viability of the WTO.

The meeting was the last chance to strike a deal on cutting tariffs and subsidies in agriculture and manufactured goods before the US presidential election in November.

Talks collapsed when the main protagonists — the U.S. and India, with the latter supported by China and Indonesia — failed to reach a compromise on a measure to shield developing countries against massive agricultural import increases.

SA’s chief trade negotiator, Xavier Carim, said essential gains would be lost, which could have grave implications for the trading system and the WTO.

Hmmmmm...
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: WTO Future in Doubt as Talks Collapse...

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 12:35:38

A power shift to the East or globalization in Jeopardy?

Here's a link provided by a friend.
Environmental News and Clippings:
http://www.google.co.uk/reader/shared/1 ... 4898696533
Environmental Economics and Systems
http://enviroecon.wordpress.com/
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Concerned » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 15:58:49

Dealing a "major" blow to the global economy LOL.

So rich Western corporations / governments are no longer able to run as easily rough shod over once much poorer nations. My heart bleeds...

Lets crank development, profits, capital and growth. I wonder where it will all end :roll:
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Thu 31 Jul 2008, 18:21:16

Concerned wrote:Dealing a "major" blow to the global economy LOL.

So rich Western corporations / governments are no longer able to run as easily rough shod over once much poorer nations. My heart bleeds...

Lets crank development, profits, capital and growth. I wonder where it will all end :roll:

No money in the west, no food in the east. Yeeehaa!

You want great blame throwing? Try this on for good measure

Peter Mandelson, European Union trade commissioner, said: ”I realise that you will ask who is to blame for this failure. The answer of course is that it is a collective failure.”

But Mr Mandelson said that the agriculture talks had been harmed by the five-year programme of agricultural subsidies recently passed by the US Congress, which he said was ”one of the most reactionary farm bills in the history of the US”, though he did give credit to President George W.Bush for attempting to veto the bill.

And that's from the Financial Times. Hell, hadn't heard the "r" word since the last coffee with my commie friends!

Link
Environmental News and Clippings:
http://www.google.co.uk/reader/shared/1 ... 4898696533
Environmental Economics and Systems
http://enviroecon.wordpress.com/
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Concerned » Fri 01 Aug 2008, 12:05:19

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Concerned wrote:Dealing a "major" blow to the global economy LOL.

No money in the west, no food in the east. Yeeehaa!

You want great blame throwing? Try this on for good measure

They say ignorance is bliss, you must be on cloud 9. Time for people to wake up and smell the coffee in Brazil.

http://www.counterpunch.com/weissman07312008.html

By the way, it's not as if this is a North vs. South, rich country vs. poor country issue. Although there have been multiple lines of fragmentation in the Doha negotiations, the best way to understand what's going on is that the rich country governments are driving the agenda to advance corporate interests, not those of their populations. That's why there is so little public support for the Doha trade agenda, in both rich and poor countries.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance