Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How long until PO goes mainstream?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

How long until PO goes mainstream?

Unread postby Dreamer » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 00:43:58

I realize that peak oil is now a relatively known concept, but how long does everyone think it will be until it's a household phrase? How long do you think it will be before everyone realizes that gas prices are do to production, and not to speculators/not enough drilling/ the war/ hurricanes, whatever? It seems to me that that point is really when TSHTF. That's when oil prices will skyrocket, people will make genuine changes to their way of life, and when the global economy will really collapse. As a student with massive debt, no real property, and to be honest a bitter hatred of the mass consumption economy, I am concerned and just a bit excited for the time when this all comes to light. From what I've seen, I'm guessing that we've got a few more years before demand destruction and failed excuses run their course. Let me know what you think.
Dreamer
Wood
Wood

Re: How long until PO goes mainstream?

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 00:52:43

There are at least 3 sub-questions:

1. When will PO become known to the mainstream masses?

2. When will PO become accepted as a fact, much like gravity and the speed of light?

3. When will the full implications of PO become known to the masses, such that the stock markets tank and people panic big time (TSHTF)?
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby ki11ercane » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 01:35:44

When you can actually get the point across to Zombies.

To be honest, you should be praising the fact that less than 10% of 10% of the world gets it. Gives you more time to prep before there is chaos.
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Munqi » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 03:51:24

I would say that most people who follow their time even a little bit know the concept of peak oil, they just dont understand what it means. You know: "big deal, i'll just drive less"

And ive seen really intelligent people do the same thing. Most of us just dont understand how important oil is.
Munqi
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby TreebeardsUncle » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 04:04:22

Within 5 years, will start hearing it more in the news.
Will take at least 10 years for folks in general in the US to understand what it really is, in terms of oil production peaking rather than running out.
Give them another 5 to 10 to understand the implications.
TreebeardsUncle
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Interfector » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 04:20:15

With the recent price drops I expect a lot of people will retreat back into their coccoons. Perhaps when Oil gets past $200pb?
Interfector
Wood
Wood

Unread postby MD » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 06:36:40

It's a question that's been discussed endlessly here, and the answer is still vague.

I'm of the opinion (likely to change without notice) that it's just about as main-stream as it's ever going to get.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby vilemerchant » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 07:49:49

MD wrote:I'm of the opinion (likely to change without notice) that it's just about as main-stream as it's ever going to get.

vilemerchant
Peat
Peat

Unread postby patience » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 08:03:16

We live in a poverty pocket of south Indiana, where fuel prices are a BIG topic currently. I've found we can use our area to help predict what will happen in recessions, as we get hit first, and come out of it last.

With that in mind, I think PO going mainstream is going to be a function of the financial impact on individuals, and it doesn't appear to be all that far away. The looming financial problems of the coming year will bring it on, I'm thinking, as people look for a scapegoat for their woes. In that blame game, I'd expect to see oil prices get their due of attention, and no end of nonsense ideas will surface before the truth wins out.

Locally, some of the brighter bulbs have got it figured out, and are diligently working on alternatives. Almost everyone is looking for ways to save a buck on energy costs.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Nano » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 08:14:58

If recession draws out into depression and commodity prices remain stubbornly high, I do think that public debate concerning the ramification of "Limits to Growth" in general will certainly intensify.

But if the world enters a hyperinflationary depression then it might not happen. In such an environment it will become increasingly difficult to pinpoint cause and effect in the global economy, which is already very difficult, witness the ongoing debate over the quantitative effect of the biofuels craze on global food prices.

There are plenty of respected analysts even now who view the oil prices 'spike' as an artefact of dollar weakness only. Imagine what will happen if hyperinflation sets in! It could push the date of Peak Peak Oil Awareness back for years, if not decades.

There will quite literally not be any formal 'mainstream' awareness about anything as the global economy enters a state that is not only uncontrollable, but increasingly unobservable as well.
Nano
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Twilight » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 08:23:15

If "peak oil" ever becomes mainstream, what will people understand by it? It may not necessarily be what we understand by the term. I expect to constantly have to correct the pop culture definition of the term in a few years' time, once there is one. Because it will probably be wrong or politicised.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 09:47:10

People love scapegoats. It is more comforting to blame "the libs" or "big oil conspiracy" or some other group for not having enough oil than something they can't control like geology. Since oil is underground, it yields all sorts of wishful thinking about how much is there. So joe sixpack doesn't care about the accumulated oil industry studies that attempt to put numbers and charts on the problem.

I'm already seeing some of this, ironically, from the Democrats. They don't want ANWR/OCS drilling because they first want the oil industry to drill on the land they already have permission to drill on. My suspicion is that the reason more drilling isn't being done on this permitted land is that there ISN'T ANY APPRECIABLE OIL THERE. The fact that oil production in the US peaked almost 40 years ago doesn't come up in the debate. But the rhetoric from the politicians is that every time you drill, you'll automatically yield oil, and the more square miles of land you permit, the more oil you'll get back. It's a real layman's view of the industry.

I expect this sort of argument to go on in all countries with waning oil resources. Mexico, for instance, is panicking over how to increase production. How many countries will honestly concede that they can not restore their production quotas because they are post peak?
mos6507

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 09:51:53

Never. It will never happen in the US, especially. The surge we and other PO sites got as we approached $4 gas is probably all we'll get. A few more will trickle in over time, but I think that most of the people that want to know already do know. Everyone else will want something else: a solution, when none really exists.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby VMarcHart » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 09:53:27

Not until we have a reality show on prime time network, which for the time being is tight up with wannabe singers, dancers, survivors, cooks, models, designers, etc, all the essentials of modern life.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SheikYarbhouti » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 11:11:58

baha wrote: I am betting TSHTF on Dec. 28 2012. :twisted:

Crap. That's my birthday. "Oh.. wow.. a feces-encrusted fan. ..Thanks. No, no, it's really great. "

[smilie=occasion1.gif]

Anyway, I am with Mos on this one.. we have only seen the tip of the finger-pointing iceberg, as it were. When the scapegoating turns to lynching, that's my cue to give a headfake and bolt for the door.
SheikYarbhouti
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 13:24:47

The comments have reminded me of an incident over 30 years ago. During the late 70's oil price spike we were eating lunch in a bar across the street form our offices at Mobil Oil. An old bar fly was going on and on about the damn oil companies. One of our guys (whose real and well deserved nickname was "Mad Dog") got up to take issue with the fellow. But then the guy said "we don't need anymore damn oil wells....what we need are more gasoline wells". That got Mad Dog laughing so much he just sat down and finished his sandwich.

It so easy to pick on the general lack of education of the US public that we really shouldn't. But it will always be a factor to some degree. And that impact will be proportional to the efforts of politicians trying to pander to the masses. There just seems to be some rules in US politics these days that just won't be repealed and following the lead of the majority appears to be one of them.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cube » Thu 07 Aug 2008, 16:47:51

ROCKMAN wrote:The comments have reminded me of an incident over 30 years ago. During the late 70's oil price spike we were eating lunch in a bar across the street form our offices at Mobil Oil. An old bar fly was going on and on about the damn oil companies. One of our guys (whose real and well deserved nickname was "Mad Dog") got up to take issue with the fellow. But then the guy said "we don't need anymore damn oil wells....what we need are more gasoline wells". That got Mad Dog laughing so much he just sat down and finished his sandwich.
woah that takes the cake.
I've heard of some pretty dumb things said before but never anything on that level.

I don't think PO is "mainstream" yet.
"Mainstream" meaning peak oil becomes a common everyday word like Yo Yo, Superman, or Blog.
We have to admit PO hasn't reached that "level" yet.
Give it another 5 years.

my 2 gasoline wells :lol:
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby s0ul5 » Mon 11 Aug 2008, 15:27:17

ROCKMAN wrote:what we need are more gasoline wells

Not long ago I had a conversation where my friend asked me if I knew if milk still comes from cows.. After that I pretty much lost hope that he would ever get PO. :(
The best about PO is that it constantly unbores me.
s0ul5
Wood
Wood

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 11 Aug 2008, 16:06:16

s0ul5 wrote:
ROCKMAN wrote:what we need are more gasoline wells

Not long ago I had a conversation where my friend asked me if I knew if milk still comes from cows.. After that I pretty much lost hope that he would ever get PO. :(

Hey, Hollywood still thinks it's acceptable to release a movie where cartoon bulls have udders.

mos6507

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion