Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE US Northern Border Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE US Northern Border Thread (merged)

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:11:30

The United States will unveil new border surveillance measures Friday in a move that has one New Democratic MP decrying what he sees as the "weaponization" of the Canada-U.S. frontier.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is slated to open an air and marine border-monitoring outpost just north of the Detroit-Windsor border at Selfridge Air National Guard Base on Lake St. Clair in Michigan.

The $17-million Great Lakes Air and Marine Branch will help fight human and drug smuggling, U.S. officials said. The post will use 11 aircraft, including Blackhawk helicopters, and five boats to patrol the Great Lakes waterways daily, said Eric Rembold, director of aviation operations at U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Windsor West MP and NDP border critic Brian Masse voiced his concern Thursday about the implications of the new surveillance measures.

"If we're going to continue to see weaponization that is used in conflicts like Afghanistan and Iraq put on the Canada-U.S. border, saying that it's required for safety and security, it really changes the nature of our relationship," he said.

link

<i>Guess the Bush Administration figures it's time to move it's focus to those scary Canadians. Heck, it worked in Canadian Bacon</i>. :lol:
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: U.S. tightens security along Great Lakes border

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:28:17

Windsor West MP and NDP border critic Brian Masse voiced his concern Thursday about the implications of the new surveillance measures.
"If we're going to continue to see weaponization that is used in conflicts like Afghanistan and Iraq put on the Canada-U.S. border, saying that it's required for safety and security, it really changes the nature of our relationship," he said.

This guy is an idiot. What he really means to say is, '" . . . it really changes the <i>way I view</i> our relationship."

It's almost as if this guy thinks that Bush and his cronies view Canada as something other that an Iran that hasn't figured out yet that all of its resources belong to the U.S..

Ah well, give him time. Maybe give him some of that free mental health treatment.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:37:44

Cashmere wrote:It's almost as if this guy thinks that Bush and his cronies view Canada as something other that an Iran that hasn't figured out yet that all of its resources belong to the U.S.

"Surveillance measures" sounds a lot more like you guys are worried about what we're gonna take. :)
New England would be nice. And Alaska really should be ours anyways. Well, when the bills you can't pay all come due, we'll sort it somehow, I'm sure. :)
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:42:16

I grew up in Algonac, MI. All they're going to catch is a bunch of people going back and forth to the bars in their boats.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:45:52

Cid_Yama wrote:I grew up in Algonac, MI. All they're going to catch is a bunch of people going back and forth to the bars in their boats.

Hard to believe it's turning out like this. You can drive from Romania to Holland without once stopping at a border check, and when you get there you can buy a house and take a job... but some 19-year-old Michiganite who wants to drive to Sarnia to drink beer and watch strippers who don't wear G-strings is going to need a passport. "Land of the free, home of the brave," my Royal Canadian ass.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:56:13

So ... I guess the NAU didn't work out?? :lol:
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 12:57:09

Text deleted-FL. “COC: Flaming and ad hominem attacks are most definitely off-topic.”
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:12:16

Text deleted-FL. “COC: Flaming and ad hominem attacks are most definitely off-topic.”
Last edited by Nickel on Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby f2tornado » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:12:47

More beheadings in Manitoba than in Iraq this week. Gotta watch out for those crazy Canucks.
f2tornado
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:14:37

Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:19:01

Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:28:07

Nickel wrote:Oh, yeah, we might be invaded and overrun and really shown our place just like ohhh, saaayyyy, Venezuela when they cut back US exports, selling the rest of China, and started trading in euros;

Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:32:05

Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:39:11

Nickel wrote:Oh, yeah, we might be invaded and overrun and really shown our place just like ohhh, saaayyyy, Venezuela when they cut back US exports, selling the rest of China, and started trading in euros;

It's not my back pocket. I don't agree with what the gov. is doing in the U.S.. Unlike you, I'm not blinded by my pride - I'm properly embarrassed by my government. You're proud of your government.
Real simple Nickel. Next winter, try to stop shipping the U.S. NG..
That's it. Real simple test.
The bottom line is, Chavez talks up a good storm, but he's only allowed to continue because, just like you, all he does is talk.
If he cut shipments to the U.S., the U.S. would remove him.
If Canada voted to stop shipping oil and NG to the U.S., Canada would cease to exist. Test it. Do it.
Even if you, as a Citizen, wanted to do it, you couldn't. Your government is bought and sold, just like in the U.S..

You're confusing this, as usual, as a Nickel pride vs. Cashmere pride thing.
I have no pride in my country. I'm neither a Patriot nor a supporter of any part of the current Regime.
But, unlike you, I'm not naive enough to think that I live in a "free and democratically elected" country.
You don't and I don't, but you think you do and I know I don't.
You're the Hugo Chavez of this board - never stop talking, but don't do anything.
You're owned, just like I am, and the owners will take what they want, when they want it.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:49:16

This agressive talk against Canada is very disturbing. I guess maybe Michael Moore was right when he showed a US knee-jerk response to propaganda against Canada. They are like the least offensive country on the entire planet. (and the nicest people)

Yeah, I know, I'm now scheduled to be picked up for reeducation because I said nice things about Canada. I guess growing up just across the river made me a security risk.

I can't imagine a parade without pipes and drum, and I like curling. Sue me.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:54:52

Cashmere wrote:Unlike you, I'm not blinded by my pride - I'm properly embarrassed by my government.

Unlike you, I don't feel I have reason to be. (Afghanistan notwithstanding.)
Cashmere wrote:Real simple Nickel. Next winter, try to stop shipping the U.S. NG..

Why would we do that? We like the money, and you're such convenient customers. :)
Cashmere wrote:The bottom line is, Chavez talks up a good storm, but he's only allowed to continue because, just like you, all he does is talk.
If he cut shipments to the U.S., the U.S. would remove him.

You really need to get out of your navel a little more and see what's going on in the world outside No Fat Chicks County:
May 12 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuela shipped 1.29 million barrels a day of oil and refined products to the U.S. and Virgin Islands in March, the least since a strike in the South American country ended in 2003, as Asia bought more crude and fuel oil.
Venezuela, which last year was the fourth-biggest provider of crude to the mainland U.S., has fallen to fifth place behind Nigeria this year, according to a monthly report released today by the U.S. Department of Energy. The drop coincided with Venezuela boosting supply to China to 250,000 barrels a day and sending at least 2 million barrels to India that month.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is seeking to diversify markets in order to reduce dependence on the U.S. The country plans to ship an average 400,000 barrels a day of crude to China this year, Asdrubal Chavez, a board member of state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA, said in an interview at a May 9 ceremony in Caracas.
Venezuelan shipments of crude to the U.S. excluding the Virgin Islands fell by 178,000 barrels a day, or 17 percent, to 858,000 barrels a day, compared with March 2007, the Energy Department said.

...Looks like you're not bad at "talking up a good storm" yourself, there, Caz. :)
Cashmere wrote:If Canada voted to stop shipping oil and NG to the U.S., Canada would cease to exist.

Just like Iran did in '79, huh? Tell me, how many helicopters do you think you'd honour us with, crashing them into the Alberta badlands? I don't see why Iran should rate higher than your old pals.
Cashmere wrote:Even if you, as a Citizen, wanted to do it, you couldn't. Your government is bought and sold, just like in the U.S..

As if you were the only people who'd want to buy the stuff. The people who presumably "buy and sell" my government couldn't care less whether their trips to the Bahamas (or Cuba) are the result of sales to Boston or Beijing.
That's one of the great things about raw materials. Now, if our economy consisted solely of making little US flags, I might be concerned about finding other markets. But it isn't, so I'm not.
Cashmere wrote:I have no pride in my country.

Well, these days, it's not hard to see why.
Cashmere wrote:You're the Hugo Chavez of this board - never stop talking, but don't do anything.

Please remind of that the next time I shoot down yet another of your bullshit blimps with fact flak.
Cashmere wrote:You're owned, just like I am, and the owners will take what they want, when they want it.

So, got Fidel's head on your mantle yet?
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 13:59:44

Cid_Yama wrote:This agressive talk against Canada is very disturbing. I guess maybe Michael Moore was right when he showed a US knee-jerk response to propaganda against Canada. They are like the least offensive country on the entire planet. (and the nicest people)
Yeah, I know, I'm now scheduled to be picked up for reeducation because I said nice things about Canada. I guess growing up just across the river made me a security risk.
I can't imagine a parade without pipes and drum, and I like curling. Sue me.

Cid - Come on. I support you as our historian, but let's get this straight, right here, right now.
The only difference between Iran/Iraq and Canada, from the perspective of the PTB, is that they wear, on their heads, turbans in the first place and knit wool in the other.
What is more disturbing?
The invasion of a sovereign land 1/2 way across the planet or the tightening of control over the one right next door?
The only reason there hasn't been any issue with Canada so far is that Canada has done everything the U.S. has wanted.
The day that changes is the day that Canada will be a hot bed of home grown terrorism.
People laugh and chortle and post smiley faces.
But the writing has been on the wall for some time.

In the end, the Canadians may be the only population that approaches the credulousness of the average American - based on some of the louder Canadian opinions I'm seeing posted here, they have no clue what's coming and how valuable their resources are.
<i>These flag wavers north of the border actually seem to think that they're going to be allowed to determine themselves what happens to their resources.</i>
What's the equivalent of Apple Pie in Canada
In the U.S., I'd say these people have too much Apple Pie up their ass to see the train coming.
Last edited by Cashmere on Fri 08 Aug 2008, 14:05:04, edited 1 time in total.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 14:02:33

Nickel wrote:[lots of anti-U.S. stuff.]

Nickel, you're not getting it. We probably agree on 99% of "what's wrong with America".
Why do you answer my contention that Canada is subservient with, "your country is behaving badly."
We agree. No need to continue the argument.
But you're missing the point. The point is, Canada has no free will.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 14:08:23

Hugo Nickel wrote:So, got Fidel's head on your mantle yet?

It's not my mantle. But I have no doubt that the only reason that Fidel's head was not given to a U.S. prez was because it wasn't wanted badly enough.
Cuba was and is meaningless to the U.S..
The missiles left, and it's an island.
If it had oil, Castro would have been out a long time ago.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 08 Aug 2008, 14:17:11

Cashmere wrote:Nickel, you're not getting it. We probably agree on 99% of "what's wrong with America".

No, you're not getting it. You wanna know what's wrong with the US? Get up and look in the mirror. It's guys like you.
Text deleted-FL. “COC: Flaming and ad hominem attacks are most definitely off-topic.” If you didn't have pride issues, why insist on something that's clearly not the case, in so many ways?
Text deleted-FL. “COC: Flaming and ad hominem attacks are most definitely off-topic.” We don't agree on 99% of anything, as far as I can see.
Last edited by Nickel on Fri 08 Aug 2008, 14:29:25, edited 1 time in total.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion