Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Canadian innovation

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Canadian innovation

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 10:59:27

www.gizmag.com/go/7586
BC based FuelVapor have completed there prototype, the Ale, a super efficient car. How efficient? It can drive from Vancouver to San Francisco on one tank of gas, as a result of advanced technology that vaporizes gas before it eneters the Ale's engine.
That is one hell of an accomplishment for six guys working out of a garage in Maple Ridge, BC.
Last edited by vampyregirl on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 12:36:27, edited 1 time in total.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: Canadian innovation

Unread postby Cashmere » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 11:57:05

VG, right on time with your weekly serving of CornuCrap.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 12:38:52

So what do you think of the car? I really don't care what your opinion of me is, what is your opinion of the Ale?
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby lper100km » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 12:43:17

It's one year old news. The content is as vaporous as the fuel. What's today's news?

I have no personal interest in this web site but put it up to illustrate how this approach has been explored over and over.

http://fuelvapors.com/

If there are so many patents out there – current and expired – and the approach is viable, how is it that not one of the major auto makers are using it? Wouldn’t Toyota love to have four seater sedan with 100mpg in mass production? Japan especially would have an interest in gaining maximum fuel efficiency. Please don’t give me conspiracy theory. If it’s doable, then it would be done as a standard design feature by now and splashed all over the media. On the other hand, maybe it’s already being incorporated, but without the media splash. Auto fuel consumption figures have steadily been improving for ‘standard weight’ vehicles. It’s a no brainer that the fuel consumption of a really lightweight vehicle would be considerably less. It’s simply not credible that a backyard tinkerer has found the keys to the kingdom – again. Maybe there is something adverse about running an engine on a lean mixture for an extended period of time. One would have thought that whilst it might promote a complete burning, it would actually reduce engine efficiency.

Of course it’s been done before. In the years following WWII, Europe was flooded with three wheel, two cylinder engines, two seaters from auto manufacturers struggling with rebuilding capacity and with material and fuel shortages. Which is not to say that this won’t occur again. So maybe the idea of a lightweight two seater is simply ahead of it’s time.
Last edited by lper100km on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 14:03:15, edited 2 times in total.
lper100km
Lignite
Lignite

Location: Over the tracks, left under the overpass, right, third boxcar on the left, ask for Jack

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 12:52:42

Today's news is FuelVapor may have a winner for the million dollar X prize. More news to ocme in the near future.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby lper100km » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 13:55:14

vampyregirl wrote:Today's news is FuelVapor may have a winner for the million dollar X prize. More news to ocme in the near future.

VPG: This is not news, it's pure bs. The award is at least two years away. In any case, it's ten million, split between 'progressive' and 'alternative'. Go back to your cave.

X prize information: http://tinyurl.com/2sm3go
lper100km
Lignite
Lignite

Location: Over the tracks, left under the overpass, right, third boxcar on the left, ask for Jack

Unread postby Cashmere » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 18:49:59

VG, right on time with your weekly serving of CornuCrap.

Come on VG, that's not an attack on you.

It's an attack on the crap you post.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby oiless » Sun 17 Aug 2008, 21:47:20

These guys apparently are right near me. I've never even heard of them until now, not that that means anything.
I second comments about fuel vapour "technology". It's been done over and over.
I have no problem believing that this thing is capable of 92 mpg. If you take a "slick" vehicle with a small engine, high gearing, and drive it well over moderate terrain that should be achievable. I don't know if 5 second 0-60 runs will fit in with the 92 mpg though.
Also, I don't see mentioned anywhere (didn't look really hard either, maybe it's there) whether they are talking US or Imperial gallons, that makes a difference. Canada used Imperial gallons until we switched to litres. I would hope they are using US gallons, since they are aiming at a US audience by the look of it, but I wouldn't bet on it.
oiless
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vampyregirl » Mon 25 Aug 2008, 09:17:37

FuelVapor is working on a hybrid to win the X Challenge. It should win easily. When the Ale goes on sale it will retail for about $75k Canadian.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Mon 25 Aug 2008, 10:15:38

i don't know why people are so negative about this.

anyway, thanks again for the info. any technologies that improve our fuel mileage affordably are worth developing. i like hearing about them.

VampyreGyrl (seems like you're being treated more like Joan of Arc for your technology posts), there's a company in Eastern california you might be interested in. it's a bicycle company, they adapt bicycles to work vehicles, to carry heavier loads, etc. can't remember their name.

there's a lot of people doing work in this area right now. and a lot of venture capital available.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Return to Energy Technology