Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sustainability Party 2008 Convention

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Sustainability Party 2008 Convention

Unread postby Cynus » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 10:02:54

The 2008 Sustainability Party convention is hereby called to order! As you surely know, the Sustainability Party has the distinction of being the only party that consists entirely within a message board on a fairly obscure website.
Our platform:
1. Pay off the national debt and then have a constitutional ammendment for balanced budgets (except for times of war).
2. Strong environmental protections against pollution and protecting biodiversity.
3. Phase out of fossil fuels through strict enforcement of annual reduction targets.
4. Large gas taxes used to fund renewable-energy-powered mass transit projects.
5. No immigration except to keep population steady.
This year we're adding a new plank:
6. Localization. Political power and decision making should be as decentralized and democratized as possible with localities given the ability to decide policies.

Like in 2006, this year we will simply be endorsing other candidates. So the Sustainability party hereby endorses Roscoe Bartlett.
Does anyone have any other candidates to endorse? No? OK, the convention is hereby adjourned.
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Sustainability Party 2008 Convention

Unread postby venky » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:05:37

Appear there is already a sustainability party in Australia. I like their headline;

"economically literate environmentalism"

Lets face it, we are never going to make a dent if the public continue to think of us as tree hugging hippies.

We have to be economically competant in order to join the mainstream.
I play the cards I'm dealt, though I sometimes bluff.

Only Man is vile.
venky
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Sustainability Party 2008 Convention

Unread postby holmes » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 13:54:21

Ecological Economics needs to be the backbone. It will take care of many things all by itself. Do some research on Ecological Economics. The outdated, no limits, flat earth neo-classical economic theory needs to be scrapped for any kind of sustainability to be reached.
"To crush the Cornucopians, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
holmes
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to North America Discussion