Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Open Letter To New Orleans Residents . . .

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Open Letter To New Orleans Residents . . .

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 11:58:20

I'm going to post a map of Gustav's most likely path. You'll note that it is headed right for New Orleans. Predicted landfall in Monday. That gives you 5 days.

You have no excuses. Leave now, or make plans to leave in the next 3 days.

Do not call me for my tax money from the roofs of your houses in 6 days.

99% of the population can leave without assistance in 5 days.

For the other 1%, ask for help now from your neighbors.

No excuses this time.

I hope you've been saving the partying and tit-flashing money.

Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Open Letter To New Orleans Residents . . .

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 12:41:28

And next time don't use my tax dollars to "rebuild," except maybe 200 miles inland. In 20 years New Orleans will be out to sea whether hurricanes hit it or not.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby burtonridr » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 12:54:33

It is absolutely mind boggling that they would build a city of that size where they did. I mean the city is 10-20 feet below sea level!

Who is the fucking genius that decided to build a massive metropolitan area right there?

Better question, Who is the fucking genius that decided to rebuild "again" after katrina hit?

I say again because back in the 30's(or something) the whole city flooded because of another hurricane.

Another dumb thing they have decided to do is rebuild the levees that hold out the water back to category 3 strength.... which is exactly the same level they were built to sustain before katrina.

I hope what happens this time is everyone evacuates, the city completely floods again, and they salvage what they can and abandon the rest..... Its just stupid and a waste of money to maintain a city in that location.... :-x
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 12:56:04

So you're unsympathetic, is what you're saying? If I had a nickel for every tax burden we've had unjustly weighed upon us in the last few decades, I'd have...probably a mass greater than the Earth's weight, actually. :-x

Jindal's making preps, state of emergency may be declared by Thursday, 311 lines open, fire up the school buses, which, as I've posted elsewhere, will be the MT of the near future.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:03:36

I have a great affection for the concept of New Orleans (a liberal oasis in the very armpit of redneckdom), and I have been there. But the city has no future and will sooner or later (probably sooner) be literally underwater for good. That isn't conjecture, it's a scientific and engineering certainty. It's fine if individuals want to hang on romantically for as long as possible, but not on my tax dollar. Such spending is as insane as the Bridge to Nowhere.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:04:30

burtonridr wrote:It is absolutely mind boggling that they would build a city of that size where they did. I mean the city is 10-20 feet below sea level!

It didn't start off below sea level. The land that it's built on is slowly subsiding. In the natural scheme of the delta, it would flood every year, new silt would deposit, and the land would maintain it's level. People don't like being flooded, so they build levies. No flooding, no silt, and down it sinks. It was built there because it's the mouth of the Mississippi. It's not hard to understand how things got where they are. What's hard to understand is the hubris of thinking we can continue to maintain a city that far below sea level right in the path of so many hurricanes. The time has well passed to blow the levies and turn New Orleans into a scuba diving park.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:09:39

smallpoxgirl wrote:
burtonridr wrote:It is absolutely mind boggling that they would build a city of that size where they did. I mean the city is 10-20 feet below sea level!

It didn't start off below sea level. The land that it's built on is slowly subsiding. In the natural scheme of the delta, it would flood every year, new silt would deposit, and the land would maintain it's level. People don't like being flooded, so they build levies. No flooding, no silt, and down it sinks. It was built there because it's the mouth of the Mississippi. It's not hard to understand how things got where they are. What's hard to understand is the hubris of thinking we can continue to maintain a city that far below sea level right in the path of so many hurricanes. The time has well passed to blow the levies and turn New Orleans into a scuba diving park.

Amen.

They could have a special area where you go and, if you momentarily lift up your bikini top, you get a string of shells.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Forney2008 » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:12:55

Cashmere wrote:I'm going to post a map of Gustav's most likely path. You'll note that it is headed right for New Orleans. Predicted landfall in Monday. That gives you 5 days.

You have no excuses. Leave now, or make plans to leave in the next 3 days.

Do not call me for my tax money from the roofs of your houses in 6 days.

99% of the population can leave without assistance in 5 days.

For the other 1%, ask for help now from your neighbors.

I hope you've been saving the partying and tit-flashing money.

No excuses this time.

Exactly..You hit the nail on the head. If they encourage everyone to evacuate, DO IT!! No, if, ans, or buts about it...These people who choose to ride out serious storms should not be eligible to be rescued by the Coast Guard, National Guard, etc. They are only putting themselves in further danger by going in days after, with flood water sky high to make risky rescues. And that doofus Mayor needs to use these this time.

Forney2008
Peat
Peat

Unread postby burtonridr » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:30:49

If you live there and plan to ride it out, do yourself a favor and buy a small aluminum row boat and oars. Then put it on the second floor of your home packed with supplies, such as bright flash lights to navigate the dark, glow sticks, food, water, rain coats, life jackets, etc....

Dont be stupid and just rely on someone to save you, in an emergency situation, everything is but business as usual and those who prepare have a better chance of survival.

This time there is no excuses, you know what can happen, just prepare yourself. :cry:
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:36:11

And for god's sake, fill every container you can find with drinking water!
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 13:55:33

smallpoxgirl wrote:And for god's sake, fill every container you can find with drinking water!

And this time don't forget about the people in hospitals and nursing homes. They are human beings too! Please arrange for them to be evacuated as well.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rdsaltpower » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 14:41:35

I agree. Get the hell out now, no excuses or be cut off like a terminal cancer.
rdsaltpower
Peat
Peat

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 14:42:41

The weatherman this morning said he thought it was going to hit Houston, or perhaps a bit to the east. We'll see what happens, I guess.

And this time don't forget about the people in hospitals and nursing homes.

That was so appalling ... those people should have been the first evacuated. Let the able-bodied get their own way out!
Last edited by RedStateGreen on Wed 27 Aug 2008, 14:45:36, edited 1 time in total.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 14:43:29

Not a static geographic feature by any means.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 15:08:09

RedStateGreen wrote:The weatherman this morning said he thought it was going to hit Houston, or perhaps a bit to the east

Local Weatherman/National Hurricane Center.

Tough call?
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MidwesternMom » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 16:02:40

And if you have a 2 day old baby, don't cry to the media that you don't have any formula to feed it, brestfeed it it for God's sake!

I will never forget seeing that on tv, oh i just wanted to scream!
MidwesternMom
Wood
Wood

Unread postby burtonridr » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 16:05:44

GASMON wrote:Why not rebuild in New Orleans ?. BUT rebuild smart.

Houses built on flood areas in Thailand are designed for the flood. Built on stilts.

Just build em a bit more sturdy, to withstand hurricanes. Yes some areas flood deep - just dont re-build there. Use a bit of common sense.

Gasmon

Yea it would be nice if they would build houses for specific conditions instead of the cheapest way possible...

For example, why not build houses along tornado alley underground... or pile dirt along side the houses with a retaining wall between the dirt pile and house?

Its not rocket science, its even common knowledge, it seems american mentality is to build things to be replaced in a few years instead of building things to last :roll:

burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 16:08:36

Interesting discussions. We, Europeans, only got the media shouting that the inept US Govt. wouldn't help its people. And that Bush was a _________________ (insert swearword).

Netherlands conquered a lot of land to the sea and most of the country is below sea level. But the fact is it isn't hurricane area.

The Netherlands is a geographically low-lying country, with about 27% of its area and 60% of its population located below sea level.[2][3] Significant areas have been gained through land reclamation and preserved through an elaborate systems of polders and dikes.

Wikipedia Link
Environmental News and Clippings:
http://www.google.co.uk/reader/shared/1 ... 4898696533
Environmental Economics and Systems
http://enviroecon.wordpress.com/
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 16:25:13

All right, I have to admit it.

I'm hoping for zero loss of life and no injuries, and I'm hoping for a direct hit on New Orleans.

There, I said it. Or wrote it.

I'm sick to death of people making stupid decisions and being allowed to get away with them with few or no consequences.

New Orleans is living testament to that stupidity.

I remember when one Congressman commented immediately after Katrina - "the question is, should we even want to rebuild New Orleans?"

The Gov. of Louisiana, upon hearing that, was almost in tears with her answer that she couldn't even imagine anybody suggesting that.

The Congressman recanted and apologized the next day, and noted that his words were taken out of context and misunderstood.

I'm waiting for the day when some d-bag comes on TV to apologize, and it starts something like this. . .

"I apologize for any hurt my words caused, but they were taken out of context. When I called so and so a dirty, fat slut, what I really meant was . . ."

It's only a matter of time.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion