Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Journalist Arrested For Photographing Senator With Donors

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Journalist Arrested For Photographing Senator With Donors

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 20:11:58

Police in Denver arrested an ABC News producer today as he was attempting to take pictures of Democratic Senators and VIP donors leaving a private meeting at the Brown Palace Hotel.

Police on the scene refused to tell ABC lawyers the charges against the producer, Asa Eslocker, who works with the ABC News investigative unit.

link
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Journalist Arrested For Photographing Senator With Donor

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 22:15:56

Poor guy, they slightly wrinkled his shirt from the looks of things.

"Eslocker was advised numerous times by police to stop blocking the sidewalk prior to his arrest," Ross said.

"Police were telling him to please move," he added.

ABC News said they were told by police that the complaint against Eslocker actually came from the Brown Palace Hotel management.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cloud9 » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 07:10:44

If this was a journalist outside a Republican convention, you guys would be screaming Gestapo, thought police and first amendment violation. Since the Dems only have good people donating and their politicians are above reproach, then the only thing we worry about is the wrinkles in reporter’s shirt. Can anybody say double standard?
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby hope_full » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 08:08:07

hello? Did anyone read this story? This is an OUTRAGE. This is not just some reporter from ABC whose rights are being trampled. This is the freedom of the press - one of our hard won freedoms, by the way - going down the toilet with a single flush.

I found the accompanying video *highly* disturbing. A reporter is pushed and shoved and threatened and restrained and put in jail because he was photographing "big wigs" and big money hanging out with Democratic Seantors. Filming whilst on a public sidewalk, he CAUGHT them on film and the democratic response is imprisonment and arrest?

The Denver Police are thugs and I hope those corporate lawyers at ABC sue the city of Denver into bankruptcy. This is outrageous.

HF
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gnm » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 10:49:35

hope_full wrote:hello? Did anyone read this story? This is an OUTRAGE. This is not just some reporter from ABC whose rights are being trampled. This is the freedom of the press - one of our hard won freedoms, by the way - going down the toilet with a single flush.

I found the accompanying video *highly* disturbing. A reporter is pushed and shoved and threatened and restrained and put in jail because he was photographing "big wigs" and big money hanging out with Democratic Seantors. Filming whilst on a public sidewalk, he CAUGHT them on film and the democratic response is imprisonment and arrest?

The Denver Police are thugs and I hope those corporate lawyers at ABC sue the city of Denver into bankruptcy. This is outrageous.

HF

+2 agree.... Neither side will change the status quo, but both sides will increase the fascism all in the name of change...

-G :-x
gnm

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 11:35:17

The "cops" knew who he was and handled him with the kid gloves. He was being a pain in the ass to stir up controversy. Putting him on the same pedestal as Amy Goodman or Alex Jones is pretty silly. Notice that he works for an arm of the MSM, who are part of the problem.

Not saying I applaud police brutality, having seen it in action up close.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 12:04:40

TheDude wrote:The "cops" knew who he was and handled him with the kid gloves. He was being a pain in the ass to stir up controversy. Putting him on the same pedestal as Amy Goodman or Alex Jones is pretty silly. Notice that he works for an arm of the MSM, who are part of the problem.

Not saying I applaud police brutality, having seen it in action up close.

What was he charged with? Fooken skin-heads with a badge!!!!!!!!!!!
vision-master

Unread postby gampy » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 01:12:12

I dunno, from what I can ascertain, the fellow was doing the paparazzi routine. Being a nuisance.

There is freedom of the press, and there is harrassment.

I call the "Gestapo" on my neighbours when they crank up their stereos at 3am, does that make me a fascist?

The hotel called the cops to rid their property of a nuisance to their guests. Seems like a non-event to me.

Some reporters like to push the envelope of civilized behavior, and use freedom of the press (whatever the hell that means) to jusify invading people's personal space.

I am all for an open, and transparent society, but good manners are good manners. Hope the guy learns that discretion is the better part of valour.
"Some people are like Slinky's. They don't serve a useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."
gampy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby neenerneener » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 11:38:19

hope_full wrote:hello? Did anyone read this story? This is an OUTRAGE. This is not just some reporter from ABC whose rights are being trampled. This is the freedom of the press - one of our hard won freedoms, by the way - going down the toilet with a single flush.

HF

ABC won't do anything, its the journalist that needs straightening out.

As Great grandpas Bush's defense once said when they di an investigation in 1935, "Don't worry, we own the media."

The only reason this was printed was to warn the reporters who don't get it, that you don't incriminate the PTB.
neenerneener
Wood
Wood

Unread postby allenwrench » Sun 31 Aug 2008, 12:30:33

Well, we don't have perfect freedom in the US - we have imperfect freedom. I have received 'puter viruses and threats for some of the stuff I've written over the years.
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to North America Discussion