Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Local/State Politics

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Local/State Politics

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 02 Sep 2008, 09:24:18

Here in Virginia, people are engaged in the presidential election as I have never seen them - I guess because we could go either way.

Typical Article I thought this was pretty funny:
When Mildred Hartless, 78, was asked whom she plans to vote for, she responded: "Bahama, Omama or whatever his name his."
"I like him. I really do," she said, adding: "But I really like Warner. I hope in four years or eight years, he is running for president. "

But, in this thread, I'd be interested in what are the big issues in your local and state elections.

Here in Arlington where every elected office is held by a Democrat, the Republicans can't even field a candidate for the open County Board spot or either of the two School Board slots. There is a Green Party candidate running for County Board but the Democratic incumbant is expected to get 70% or more. The biggest issue locally by far is affordable housing with an initiative on the ballot to form a housing authority. The Green Party supports and the Democrats opposes - it will likely fail. Environment, energy, transportation and smart growth are always issues here, but with no opposition or ballot initiatives this year.

Our State Senator Mary Margaret Whipple (wife of Peak Oil doomer, Tom Whipple) is as far as I know running unapposed.

I don't know if others are interested in what's going on in other people's local area but I am, so I'll read whatever you post.

This is also interesting and could have an effect
The Independent Green Party of Virginia has collected enough signatures to place New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I) as a candidate for United States president and U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tx.) as a candidate for the nation's vice presidency on the Virginia's ballot in November.

Overall, this increases McCain's chances in Virginia, I think.
Last edited by dinopello on Wed 10 Jun 2009, 11:30:57, edited 1 time in total.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Local/State Politics 2008

Unread postby benzoil » Tue 02 Sep 2008, 09:46:30

Here in West Michigan, we have the reverse problem. The Dems couldn't get arrested (unless they went to St. Paul, MN this week). There are many open slots in the county and state races where Republicans are running unopposed.

Of course, being Michigan, the big issue should be the economy. You wouldn't know it from the rhetoric, which is more about family values than state budgets and economic programs.

Energy? What energy? If you take a look at a wind map, coastal Michigan could be a huge wind energy producer, but other than a limp proposal by our governor, we're hardly talking about it. In other words, energy policy here is about the same as everywhere else.

[Edited for grammar]
TANSTAAFL
benzoil
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 08:34:59

The Virginia Senate Race

Two former governors are running against each other for the open Senate seat. Gilmore is likely to get his ass handed to him and nobody deserves it more. I'm still trying to find an actual person that will admit they are voting for him.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 14:23:46

Oklahoma is a strange place. Lots of campaign signs but you have to be psychic to know when election days are, they don't come out and actually tell you when. Or where to vote, either.

We're one of five states that doesn't allow write-ins, and I don't think any of the third party candidates got on the ballot. We're supposed to be neon red but I've heard (and seen) A LOT of interest in Obama. And Ron Paul -- there are still signs up for him!

We got an expanded stadium instead of a decent public transit system (because, yanno, nothing in Oklahoma is more important than sports :roll: ) and now people are complaining that gas is too high and they can't get to work. Probably the same ones who clamored for the stadium.

But the politics here is quiet and mannerly, just like the people. Attack ads are considered bad taste, and they did the "I approve this message" bit long before it became a more general thing. There's a definite small town feel here.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mercurygirl » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 15:04:56

Oh RedStateGreen, how I wish there were more of you! Lots of hubby's family is in OK, so I'm familiar with it. Strangely enough, I haven't gotten ANY political emails from down there - a good sign? Usually they're all about the flagwaving.

My state trends blue, but I'm not taking any chances. I do see some McCain signs around, but compared to 2004, there's hardly any.

You can go to League of Conservation Voters and do a search on your state, I found my state satellite site with much information about candidates and issues.
mercurygirl
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 21:42:56

mercurygirl wrote:Oh RedStateGreen, how I wish there were more of you! Lots of hubby's family is in OK, so I'm familiar with it. Strangely enough, I haven't gotten ANY political emails from down there - a good sign? Usually they're all about the flagwaving.

My state trends blue, but I'm not taking any chances. I do see some McCain signs around, but compared to 2004, there's hardly any.

You can go to League of Conservation Voters and do a search on your state, I found my state satellite site with much information about candidates and issues.

Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of them, I've added them to my blogroll.

The people I've talked to feel deeply conflicted about this election. They want to vote Republican but most dislike both McCain and Palin, for different reasons. (McCain for philosophical reasons -- he's seen as not conservative enough; Palin offends people for religious reasons (the whole "women shouldn't lead" thing), as well as women who feel she will be abandoning her family to be VP.)

Like I said, we don't have much of a choice in Oklahoma -- no third party candidates on the ballot. I'm afraid a lot of people here will sit out the election.

ETA: it would not surprise me if there's a whole lot of writing in that goes on, even though it's not allowed... :roll:
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 21:56:24

RedStateGreen wrote: I'm afraid a lot of people here will sit out the election.

Turnout will be interesting to watch all over the country. I'm expecting the largest turnout in Virginia in a long time. We never have been relevant in the Presidential race that I can remember and I think that will drive both sides to the polls. McCain should have a natural advantage in Virginia with his Navy background and selection of Palin gets him the fairly sizeable evangelicals. The pro-business interests could go either way I think. But the Governor and both senators will be democrats so who knows.

We talk about local issues more than national in Arlington, but this year there hasn't been much excitement except a heated school board race with six candidates vying for 2 slot endorsement from the democratic party. It was the real race since there was no opposition to the democrats this year.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DarkDawg » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 08:59:26

I think there is a lot of indifference here in NY, especially since Hillary is out. I personally feel she never should have run for Senator, let alone Prez.

Then we had the Spitzer fiasco and now Wall Street is burning.

The election is kinda boring by comparison.
DarkDawg
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Loki » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 11:08:58

I see tons and tons and tons of Obama signs and stickers here in hyperliberal Portland---they're everywhere. Don't recall seeing any McCain signs or stickers. Still a couple Ron Paulers out there. Don't think Oregon is really in play, so I don't get the sense that people are on the edge of their seats when it comes to the presidential race.

The incumbent Republican US senator's seat is not safe, though---running head to head with his Dem challenger. But the campaign is 100% negative, every single ad. I'm tired of it. I may not vote for the Dem if it continues like it has been. Nothing about policy, just smear after smear from both sides.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Re: Local/State Politics

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 10 Jun 2009, 11:42:49

We just had an exciting Democratic primary yesterday. In the race for governor, the Republican annoited their choice without a primary and we had three Democrats running for the slot. Terry McAuliffe of the Clintons got trounced after he thought he would waltz in a buy the nomination. Also, Brian Moran, the brother of our congressman and a sitting state legistlator got beat. Both lost out in all but one district to a pro-gun, pro-choice guy from rural Virginia.

Creigh Deeds takes Democratic Nomination

In the primary, Deeds beat the better-funded Moran and McAuliffe in every region of the state, including vote-rich Northern Virginia, despite a pro-gun stance and relatively conservative positions that are out of line with many of the area's voters.

Also yesterday, we selected our guy for the state legistlator. There were 5 democrats running for the dem slot to replace an open seat. In Arlington, the Democtratic nominee is a shoo-in for the general so this was basically the election. The Republicans haven't even fielded a candidate, but the Green party has. All five nominees had similar stances but each came from a very different experience base in life and politics <<link>>. One of the guys was well funded by Clintons and was getting robo calls with Bill Clinton and Paul Begala - that guy went down in Flames ! Virginians don't really cotton to the Clintons. The guy that won was the most grass roots - coming up through the civic association ranks and other community activities.

Hope wins in 5-way
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Caffeine » Wed 10 Jun 2009, 12:06:11

RedStateGreen wrote:We're one of five states that doesn't allow write-ins, and I don't think any of the third party candidates got on the ballot. We're supposed to be neon red but I've heard (and seen) A LOT of interest in Obama. And Ron Paul -- there are still signs up for him!

Any idea what the process is like for a candidate to get on the ballot in your state?

Can you really call a system of government a democracy (or more properly, a republic) if you can only vote for a very limited number of candidates (say 2?) and don't get to decide which candidates get on that ballot?
Caffeine
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Local/State Politics

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 08 Nov 2011, 09:29:49

Well, I'm off to vote this morning. Not much to vote for though as most are running unapposed. There are 8 offices up in my district and only one is opposed by a Republican and one has a Green party challenge but 6 are unapposed [Sample Ballot (pdf)]. Very sad.

Generally, the incumbants are doing a good job and nobody wants to run against them and be embarrased. But the quality of those that do challenge is just pathetic. Check out this Doofus (R) running for state senate
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to North America Discussion