Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fed ‘Beige Book’ Cites Continuing Economic Sluggishness

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Fed ‘Beige Book’ Cites Continuing Economic Sluggishness

Unread postby the48thronin » Thu 04 Sep 2008, 01:47:26

U.S. economic activity, including trucking and freight transportation, was sluggish in July and August, according to a Federal Reserve report released Wednesday.

The Fed surveyed its 12 regional districts in its “beige book” report, saying that the Boston, Cleveland, Atlanta and Dallas regions all noted falling demand for freight and transportation services, and that firms in those industries reported higher fuel costs negatively affecting their margins.

The Fed releases its “beige book” report eight times a year, and the latest version was based on information collected from July 15 through Aug. 25.

Many districts described business conditions as weak, soft or subdued, as Cleveland and St. Louis reported some weakening since the previous report, while Boston and New York noted some signs of stabilization and Kansas City reported a slight improvement.

and

Contacts in the Boston region serving the residential and commercial construction industries, auto makers, commercial airlines, non-aviation transportation, semiconductor makers and the healthcare industry report declines in orders or sales.

Transport topics
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Fed ‘Beige Book’ Cites Continuing Economic Sluggishness

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Thu 04 Sep 2008, 08:35:53

Is this a report that can be “revised”?

I imagine it will be at some point to show the economy isn’t as bad as first thought. It just a matter of when the PPT needs a good 200 point boost in the dow.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Fed ‘Beige Book’ Cites Continuing Economic Sluggishness

Unread postby the48thronin » Thu 04 Sep 2008, 16:13:45

ColossalContrarian wrote:Is this a report that can be “revised”?

I imagine it will be at some point to show the economy isn’t as bad as first thought. It just a matter of when the PPT needs a good 200 point boost in the dow.

It can be revised, but the 9000 trucking companies that have gone under so far this year won't notice the revision.
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance