Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil per capita

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Peak oil per capita

Unread postby Gorm » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 15:41:13

Hi, I talked with a friend today and the subjekt peak oil came up. I was a little suprised when he knew about it. But anyway, he said/claimed that peak oil per capita in the world was in the 70s. Is this correct? any links that can give me some information?
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Peak oil per capita

Unread postby kpeavey » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 15:50:05

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:14:26

Gorm wrote:Hi, I talked with a friend today and the subjekt peak oil came up. I was a little surprised when he knew about it. But anyway, he said/claimed that peak oil per capita in the world was in the 70s. Is this correct? any links that can give me some information?

Yes, it's correct.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aflurry » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 17:10:50

Cashmere wrote:
Gorm wrote:Hi, I talked with a friend today and the subjekt peak oil came up. I was a little surprised when he knew about it. But anyway, he said/claimed that peak oil per capita in the world was in the 70s. Is this correct? any links that can give me some information?

Yes, it's correct.

this is interesting. if true, it makes me a little more skeptical that the peak in absolute production will necessarily coincide with the earthshaking economic and social chaos we often bat around in the ol' PO forum.
aflurry
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 17:39:27

aflurry wrote:
Cashmere wrote:

Yes, it's correct.

this is interesting. if true, it makes me a little more skeptical that the peak in absolute production will necessarily coincide with the earthshaking economic and social chaos we often bat around in the ol' PO forum.

The truth of it hides the significance of it.

If the growth in population has been mostly a growth in population that uses little or no oil, then oil production per capita is not a particularly informative number.

In other words, the per capita use of oil in the western world likely went up over the last 30 years, while the per capita use everywhere else went down, with peak per capita not relevant to the west.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Gorm » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 17:04:38

I doubt that the oil-consumtion has increased in the west per capita the last 40 years. I live in sweden and very few heat their homes wiht oil nowdays, and sweden lies as far north as Alska (not quite that cold anyhow). OK, a lot more cars on the road, but overall consumptions is down and the population has increased. I did a quick search on the net looking for statistics to prove it, found this from Finland:

http://www.stat.fi/tup/suomi90/maaliskuu_sv.html

The oil-consumption topped out about 1972 there, and the standard of living is mutch higher today, using less oil.

But, I am aware that the oil still used will be harder and harder to replace whit other solutions. The low-hanging fruit has been picked.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby patience » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 08:34:20

Gorm,

I'm afraid the US where I live is not so efficient as Europe and Scandinavia! Nor do we live as well in many ways. We just squander what we have on useless toys, and buy houses to big for us to pay for, or heat/cool.

The concept of close small towns and villages, with efficient housing and public transportation, as practiced in Europe and other places, could benefit a lot (not all) of the US. Once there was a chance for that here, but I think we have passed the point of no return, and the for the US way to consume less per capita will be a lower standard of living. Perhaps MUCH lower soon.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Gorm » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 13:10:12

Yes, I think so to. Not that I ever been to north america it is my understanding that you guys will be far worse adapting to lesser and lesser oil. I lived without a car untill the age of 31 years old, wih four kids back then. There was not that great need of one. I understand that in the states one has no option to the car.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MrBean » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 15:34:18

patience wrote:Gorm,

I'm afraid the US where I live is not so efficient as Europe and Scandinavia! Nor do we live as well in many ways. We just squander what we have on useless toys, and buy houses to big for us to pay for, or heat/cool.

The concept of close small towns and villages, with efficient housing and public transportation, as practiced in Europe and other places, could benefit a lot (not all) of the US. Once there was a chance for that here, but I think we have passed the point of no return, and the for the US way to consume less per capita will be a lower standard of living. Perhaps MUCH lower soon.

Don't forget recycling. People who visit US tell it's really wierd there, they dump all their garbage in the same bin. 8O
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion