Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A step back

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

A step back

Unread postby zoidberg » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 01:51:45

Every once in a while I think we should stand back from the individual trees in the peak oil forest, gave upon the whole thing and pick out the landmarks. To give a sense of where we are and where we're going.

For instance the seizure(takeover? nationalization? whats the correct term?) of fannie and freddie surely marks a historic milestone.

I also the liked the $4 US/gallon landmark - it really seemed to focus the public mind.

I would also note the drop in vehicle miles travelled in the US - previously only done in the oil shocked 70's I believe?

The Iraq war surely merits a mention

9/11 maybe?

I think Bush did a speech where he actually outlined the problem of oil depletion. I dont remember the exact words or dates but its in someone's tagline...

Kunstler on the Colbert report? :lol:

Obviously these all vary in magnitude. Any other ideas?
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: A step back

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 07:22:18

For the first time since the 1970's both Presidential candidates are speaking out in favor of building new nuclear Fission powerplants.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 08:35:42

Crude @ $147.27, and the sharp upward curve leading to that price.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Mack12345 » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 09:33:27

Wal-Mart decideing to become the largest retailer of LOCALY grown produce "as opposed to trucked in produce" was a milestone that made me think seriously about how Po is effecting everything .. was anounced about 2 months ago ...
link
Mack12345
Peat
Peat

Unread postby GeoUSA » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 10:51:28

Sport Utility Vehicles sitting unsold on dealer lots and SUV trade-in values dropping by up to 50%.

Large increases in the cost of electricity and natural gas.
GeoUSA
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Buggy » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 21:02:02

Shale and tar sands becoming "cost effective."
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby zoidberg » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 01:43:39

DoomWarrior wrote:Crude @ $147.27, and the sharp upward curve leading to that price.

Yes the largest one day increase ever surely merits a mention.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby zoidberg » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 01:47:34

GeoUSA wrote:Sport Utility Vehicles sitting unsold on dealer lots and SUV trade-in values dropping by up to 50%.

Large increases in the cost of electricity and natural gas.

I'm still waiting for the GM bankruptcy announcement or govt bailout plan. The collapse of the market for SUV's is also important.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby zoidberg » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 01:49:44

And now whats this? SA walking out of OPEC? Thats another good one. 2008 has been a busy year.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby patience » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 08:46:44

The 4 day week gaining serious consideration by business and schools. Maybe we aren't there yet, but some are talking about it.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby cube » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 11:38:12

GeoUSA wrote:Sport Utility Vehicles sitting unsold on dealer lots and SUV trade-in values dropping by up to 50%.
Ultimately it was the "free-market" that killed off the SUV (with rising gas prices) and NOT environmentalism.
Who says the free-market doesn't work?
//
Taking a step back now it seems that Britney Spears has completely fallen off the map.
Perhaps society has finally realized that was just a silly distraction from more important matters in life or maybe that's just wishful thinking? :wink:
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 14:54:04

cube wrote:
Ultimately it was the "free-market" that killed off the SUV (with rising gas prices) and NOT environmentalism.
Who says the free-market doesn't work?
//
Taking a step back now it seems that Britney Spears has completely fallen off the map.
Perhaps society has finally realized that was just a silly distraction from more important matters in life or maybe that's just wishful thinking? :wink:

Nah, she has just been shouldered aside by Sarah Palin, if Obama wins Britney will be back soon .....
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TheDude » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 16:40:06

The current fuel shortage hitting the South and MidWest US possibly will mark a turning point. We've been keeping track of shortages anywhere but this already has US Senators delivering speeches on the matter. Perhaps this will lead to growing invective against JIT inventory practices in the industry - or even discussion of why supplies are tight in the first place.

Or not. I wasn't surprised when prices went past $4/gal in an election year, the political response was collective thumbs up butts posturing for the hoi polloi.

There's still potential for a heating oil crisis this winter. To quote the NHC, take action now or run the risk of death.

I take the wider view all the time. OF2's supply additions don't assure me in the slightest, when you look at the overall picture and see that the biggest gains are from 50 year old KSA fields that were mothballed; and that the overall picture is declines beginning 2010, mild for two years, then off a cliff. His one fire hose is up against thousands of acres of burn.

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 19:37:24

I don't think any short-term shortages will create any cultural shifts. Just a lot of short-term whining.
mos6507

Return to Peak Oil Discussion