Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Lawrence, KS Passes a Peak Oil Resolution! Sept 2nd 08

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Lawrence, KS Passes a Peak Oil Resolution! Sept 2nd 08

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 04:25:55

The campaign that Films For Action launched last year to pass a Peak Oil Resolution has succeeded.

Joining forces with members of the Sustainability Action Network earlier this year, we were able to host presentations on peak oil to the City's Sustainability Advisory Board and the City Commission itself. With the helpful initiative of the Mayor, Michael Dever, the resolution was put on the agenda promptly the first Tuesday of September. All of the commissioners were in full support of the effort, and around 8:30 that night, the resolution to establish a Mayor's Task Force on Peak Oil passed unanimously, 5-0.

Passing this resolution puts the City of Lawrence at the forefront of the growing movement to address peak oil at a local, city-wide level, joining just a handful of other cities who have passed similar resolutions, among them San Francisco, CA and Portland, OR.

You can read the full text of the resolution here (pdf): link

Read more about the passing of the resolution here: link

We've also cataloged several of the best online videos you can watch on peak oil, providing an excellent educational resource: link

Also, check out the videos under sustainability and solutions for more great ideas.
Cheers! - Tim Hjersted

Fixed links. Please use the hyperlink function. Thank you. -FL
Last edited by tribalzendancer on Mon 15 Sep 2008, 02:59:48, edited 1 time in total.
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Re: Lawrence, KS Passes a Peak Oil Resolution! Sept 2nd 08

Unread postby Concerned » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 05:21:56

tribalzendancer wrote:Passing this resolution puts the City of Lawrence at the forefront of the growing movement to address peak oil at a local, city-wide level, joining just a handful of other cities who have passed similar resolutions, among them San Francisco, CA and Portland, OR.

Are you able to give a list of 5 to 10 tangible verifiable actions being undertaken that will help with the onset of Peak Oil and energy depletion.

I really don't think there are any answers. If you use less you put yourself at a disadvantage relative to others having access and you leave supply on the market so others can access it at a cheaper price?

This "sounds" good and positive but I am interested in actual tangible verifiable actions not just "talk". As you can probably tell I am very doomerish :(
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 06:17:33

Let me first address this, "If you use less you put yourself at a disadvantage relative to others having access and you leave supply on the market so others can access it at a cheaper price? "

If Lawrence was able to reduce its use of oil then we would be at a distinct advantage as oil (and gas) gets increasingly expensive.

It may mean increased up-front costs, such as the City investing in electric buses and flex-fuel cars (a viable electric car is not yet on the market in the U.S, to my knowledge), but as oil get's more expensive, those investments will pay off quickly. The city will save money, and will be more prepared for sudden "crisis" reductions in supply, and the overall long-term depletion.

Let me get to the purpose of the Resolution. The resolution will establish a Task Force on Peak Oil to determine ways that the city can reduce it's dependence on fossil fuels. It will study the issue and come back to the City Commission within a year to propose actions and recommendations. It's a first step, but it's an important step as just about every city in America is behind the curve, obviously.

Let me give another example. The Task Force will no doubt call for increased funding of a transit system. They will encourage re-zoning land use to make "mixed-use, high density, pedestrian friendly" development more prevalent.

This will reduce people's overall need to use cars, as their work, school, and play will be in walking distance (or transit distance).

There are dozens of actions that the City of Portland's Peak Oil Task Force drew up, which you can look at here, starting on page 33: link I hope it inspires you. :)

Taking all of these actions down the line, Lawrence has the potential to position itself as a more sustainable city. When commuting to work becomes increasingly unfeasible, noticing that Lawrence has (in the next 10 years) built up an increasingly self-reliant local economy, people will move to Lawrence to work and live. This will benefit the local economy, and further stimulate growth in "green job" sectors.

Another action that the Portland Task Force recommends is preserving prime farmland around the city limits for growing food. Nurturing a local supply of food will also help tremendously. As the City reduces it's dependency on food imports and other goods shipped in from far away, Lawrence becomes more resilient.

Anyway read those actions contained in the PDF. Hope it cheers you up. There is the potential to be optimistic about this. At least, it is the future I am fighting for.

Check out these videos tagged "solutions" for further encouragement. The video of Mayor Newsom of San Francisco is particularly inspiring: link
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 06:53:55

I suppose it's a start, and that's good. Beyond that, I don't think it will be helpful. I hear "flex fuel" and I know the problem is not understood.

Food supply and overpopulation.

The rest is trivial.

At an 8% decline rate, starting now, we're at 50% oil production in 2017. Bump it 3 years if that makes you happy. 2020.

The intention is good, but it's too little too late.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 07:37:07

Well, I'm aware that "flex-fuel" isn't a great solution. Scratch that statement if it detracts from focusing on my primary point. Hopefully by the time the City Gov needs to replace their auto-fleet there will be electric options available.

Electric cars (combined with drastically reducing the need to use cars) seems to be the way to go, but whether those options are available is not something that a local government has control over.

What's your general (or specific) view of "the solution" people should be working towards?
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Don35 » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 07:44:33

Cashmere wrote:I suppose it's a start, and that's good.
The rest is trivial.

Cashmere has it. If you want to prepare, prepare to feed yourselves! The rest is trivial.
Everybody thinks they're righteous! Adam Baldwin "Jayne" Firefly/Serenity
Don35
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 09:26:56

tribalzendancer wrote:Well, I'm aware that "flex-fuel" isn't a great solution. Scratch that statement if it detracts from focusing on my primary point. Hopefully by the time the City Gov needs to replace their auto-fleet there will be electric options available.
Electric cars (combined with drastically reducing the need to use cars) seems to be the way to go, but whether those options are available is not something that a local government has control over. What's your general (or specific) view of "the solution" people should be working towards?

Tribal - like I said - extremely laudable that your town is thinking about the issue at all.

I've posted recently on another thread.
The critical issues are:
Food and Too many people.

Virtually all of my resources would be used to: transition to a non-FF based agriculture base (i.e. start breeding them draft horses and building them barns!)

and creating incentives to stop breeding and disincentives to breed.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bromius » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 09:47:50

The city I currently live in recently set up a huge special tax break program, $300 million!!!, for a humongous addition to an already large mall. It was marketed as a "green" project that would create lots of jobs. I have to wonder whether the people that approved this are stupid, corrupt or both. Thankfully, I'm leaving this lost cause of a city in December.

Lawrence, KS could be doing far worse for itself.
bromius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 10:41:29

What can be done to reduce oil usage is not rocket science. Here is your peak oil taskforce. Go down to the library and pick up Plan B and a few other similar books. Spending years to reinvent the wheel is a huge beaurocratic waste of time. It's some kind of excuse to look like you're doing something about peak oil and push off the hard political decisionmaking.
mos6507

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 11:50:13

Cashmere wrote:Food supply and overpopulation.

I would personally restate this as "Carrying Capacity." Any region or community needs to consider its carrying capacity first and take steps toward living within it. Anything else is just short-term.
Ludi

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 11:52:48

mos6507 wrote: Spending years to reinvent the wheel is a huge beaurocratic waste of time.

I agree. There is already so much information out there about how to live within limits. The research doesn't need to be done again, it simply needs to be acted upon.
Ludi

Unread postby cube » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 15:41:25

Ludi wrote:
mos6507 wrote: Spending years to reinvent the wheel is a huge beaurocratic waste of time.

I agree. There is already so much information out there about how to live within limits. The research doesn't need to be done again, it simply needs to be acted upon.
I think this appointed commission was created in hopes of finding the Star Trek solution.

What is the "Star Trek solution"?
It's the belief that we can continue to enjoy our current standard of living while also being environmentally friendly by finding a techno-utopia solution.
This is the category that Lear Jet Liberals fall into.
It's what Al Gore, Obama, aka mainstream society believes in.

IMHO I cannot think of a more dangerous belief that will guarantee a hard collapse of society.
this is how you reduce greenhouse gases
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 16:12:36

Lawrence, Kansas? Who knew?

I think it's a good thing. I also see that Lawrence has a healthy number of citizen advisory commissions. This is usually a sign of an active and engaged citizenry which often means that a mature consensus driven governing process is in place. All that bodes well for a community, peak oil resolution notwithstanding.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 17:03:55

cube wrote:This is the category that Lear Jet Liberals fall into.

Yeah,. it's all the Liberals' fault.

Nothing could be more dangerous than Liberals.
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 21:23:36

Ludi wrote:
cube wrote:This is the category that Lear Jet Liberals fall into.

Yeah,. it's all the Liberals' fault.

Nothing could be more dangerous than Liberals.

I believe the proper term as coined by El Rushbo is "librulz".
mos6507

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:13:25

Ludi wrote:

I think maybe you misunderstand the purpose of the task force. The goal of the Task Force isn't to re-do the arduous work that has already been done. The goal is to study research such as Plan B and the Portland Peak Oil Task Force's Final Report to develop a response plan for Lawrence.

You have to understand that not everyone is aware of the problem and solutions relating to Peak Oil. You can't take action on something until you understand the problem.

Most local governments in America are not even aware of the problem yet. Most of the City Commissioners in Lawrence were not even aware of Peak Oil until two months ago.

It would be unrealistic to think these people could take action before studying and understanding the issue first. C'mon people! :)

Anyway, the whole point of the Task Force is to determine actions the city can take. Drawing from the best-practices and research that has already been done, they'll recommend actions that are unique to Lawrence's specific vulnerabilities and opportunities.

Obviously it would be great if everyone knew about everything we know, but that's not the way things are. We have to start at where people are at, not where we want them to be.
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:31:14

cube wrote:I think this appointed commission was created in hopes of finding the Star Trek solution.

What is the "Star Trek solution"?
It's the belief that we can continue to enjoy our current standard of living while also being environmentally friendly by finding a techno-utopia solution.
This is the category that Lear Jet Liberals fall into.
It's what Al Gore, Obama, aka mainstream society believes in.

Cube, it is nice of you to dismiss the idea of the Task Force without understanding it. You have read into it what you want to read into it, when nothing actually exists to support your claim whatsoever.

If you took a look at PostCarbonCities.net and The Portland Peak Oil Task Force's Final Report, you will see nothing about creating a future techno-utopia. What you will see are practical solutions that help lesson a very serious potential societal collapse.

It certainly beats dismissing the practical efforts of others on a forum.
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby yesplease » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 02:38:08

Cashmere wrote:At an 8% decline rate, starting now, we're at 50% oil production in 2017. Bump it 3 years if that makes you happy. 2020.

The intention is good, but it's too little too late.
At a 50% decline rate, starting now, we're at 50% oil production in 2009. Bump it 1 year if that makes you happy. 2010.

Fearmongering is good, and never too late! ;)
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 19:43:52

Here is the full text of the adopted resolution, for those that are interested.

RESOLUTION NO. _____
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY OF LAWRENCE, KANSAS, ESTABLISHING
THE MAYOR'S TASK FORCE ON PEAK OIL

WHEREAS, global reserves of oil and natural gas are finite and sufficient substitutes are
unlikely to be available in the immediate future; and

WHEREAS, the availability of affordable petroleum is critical to the functioning of our
transportation system, our food production, our petrochemical-based consumer goods,
the paving of roads, and myriad other parts of the economy; and

WHEREAS, U.S. oil and natural gas production have peaked and are now in decline,
necessitating our nation’s continued and growing dependence on oil and natural gas
imported from politically unstable regions; and

WHEREAS, energy industry experts understand that the world has already arrived at, or
will soon arrive at, the peak of global oil production, which will be followed by decline in
available supply thereafter; and

WHEREAS, global demand for oil and natural gas continue to increase; and

WHEREAS, following the global oil production peak, the interaction of decreasing supply
and increased demand will cause the price of oil and natural gas to become more
volatile; and

WHEREAS, the City of Lawrence and its citizens and businesses are extremely
dependent on oil and natural gas for their economic welfare and their most critical
activities, including electricity, transportation and food supply; and

WHEREAS, a large majority of money spent on fossil fuels leaves Kansas and provides
no local economic benefit, while many of the solutions to lessening dependence on fossil
fuels result in local jobs and substantial economic benefits; and

WHEREAS, Lawrence residents and businesses are not currently aware of the full
implications of an impending decline and will greatly benefit from an objective source of
information on this topic; and

WHEREAS, the City of Lawrence has adopted the U.S. Mayor’s Climate Protection
Agreement, the success of which depends upon reducing carbon dioxide and other
greenhouse gases created by human use of oil and natural gas; and

WHEREAS, the City of Lawrence has a national reputation for planning and actions
demonstrating the City’s social values, equity, and quality of life, and can take a
leadership role in what may become one of the greatest political, economic and societal
issues of the next half-century,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY
OF LAWRENCE, KANSAS:

Section 1: Establish the Mayor's Task Force on Peak Oil. The City of Lawrence will
create the Mayor's Task Force on Peak Oil to develop a response plan in active
consultation with the community, that will address both a sudden crisis-related reduction
of fossil fuels and a long term depletion of fossil fuels.

Section 2: Purpose of the Peak Oil Task Force. The Peak Oil Task Force will:

 Assess Lawrence’s exposure to diminishing supplies of oil and natural gas and
make recommendations to address vulnerabilities.

 Seek community and business input on the negative impacts of Peak Oil and
proposed solutions.

 Acquire and study current and credible data and information on the issues of
peak oil and natural gas depletion and the related economic and other societal
consequences.

 Develop recommendations for the City regarding strategies the City can take to
mitigate the impacts of declining energy supplies in areas including, but not
limited to: transportation, business and home energy use, water, food security,
health care, waste management, communications, and land use planning.

 If indicated by research, and deemed appropriate by the Task Force, develop an
emergency plan to provide for the basic life sustaining needs of the citizens of
Lawrence in the event of a sudden and dramatic increase in the price of oil or
natural gas, or a sudden reduction in supply.

 Propose methods of educating the public about Peak Oil that promote positive
behavior changes which can reduce community dependence on fossil fuels.

Section 3: Membership and Organization. The Task Force shall consist of up to 12
members representing a broad range of community and business interests. It will
coordinate with the City Manager, the Office of Planning, the Sustainability Advisory
Board, and other applicable departments.

Section 4: Inter Jurisdictional Coordination. Because the implications of declining
energy resources are also regional concerns, the Task Force shall collaborate with
regional and state planners and other task forces created at the county, regional and
state levels.

Section 5: Reporting and Recommendations. The Peak Oil Task Force shall provide a
final report to the City Commission no later than twelve months from the initial meeting.
If the final recommendations for the Peak Oil Plan are not completed by that time, the
task force shall present a preliminary report to the City Commission and a status of final
recommendations.

Section 6: Initial Meeting. The Peak Oil Task Force shall meet initially at the time and
place determined by the Mayor. The Chair and Vice Chair shall be selected.
Organizational structure and future meetings shall be determined.

Section 7: Open Meetings and Open Records. All meetings and records of the Peak Oil
Task Force or its sub-groups shall be open and available to the public.

ADOPTED by the Governing Body of the City of Lawrence, Kansas, this ______ day of
________________, 2008.
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 00:40:43

It really doesn't matter how long it should take to prep. It's a matter of how much time you're given. So this all has to do with how long we stay on this plataeu. If we are only months away from TSHTF then a 1 year research project is going to be a collosal waste of time.
mos6507

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion