Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What is money anyways?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

What is money anyways?

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:40:03

What Does It All Mean?

I used to believe that politicians and big business were evil. They always seemed to act without regard for the common people. It's always the innocent families and civilians that are left homeless, killed or maimed because of some decision made behind closed doors. I used to think it was the elite, super-rich who were protecting their wealth and greed for oil money at our expense. I blamed them for everything from wars to preventing the development of free energy.

While I still believe this is true, I now see the big picture and it frightens me.

Oil and dollars have become the blood of our present civilization. A collapse of this fiat dollar system will not only destroy America's economy and lifestyle but it will have devastating impact throughout the entire planet. Since virtually all wealth is based on this dollar-for-oil scheme, a collapse of the system will send the entire world into an economic depression. This is what the politicians and decision makers are trying to avert. But the collapse is predictable and inevitable.

I cannot help but wonder what kind of world awaits us on the other side. What would a dollarless and oil free civilization be like? What if we had endless supplies of free energy and no need for wars or money? At 56 years old, I may not get there with you. But, I have a dream.

http://www.viewzone.com/money.html
vision-master

Re: What is money anyways?

Unread postby Snowrunner » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 21:23:50

The problem is that people have mistaken (for quite a while) Money with a real tangible asset. It is treated as a "resource" in and on itself, when at best it is a representation of a resource (e.g. oil, work etc.).

Much like there won't be an unending supply of oil, there can't be an unending supply of money unless it is backed by something real.

A lot of people will this learn in a very very painful way.

S.
*Cynic*
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby burtonridr » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 22:45:03

Money is just a simplified trading system, when you do work, that work has value to society, so they give you the dollar because you have contributed and now society owes you something in return. It would be no different than if someone paid you in chickens if chickens were understood to have a value to everyone in society.

I dont know if that makes sense....

It sure beats trying to barter for things, it will be interested to see what happens post PO.

Oil and dollars have become the blood of our present civilization

I dont know if I totally agree with that persons view, in a way I do, but dollars are just a simplified way of trading things of value. Oil is the blood of the economy right now, you take it away and it dies. However you take away faith in the dollar and the system dies as well. Its hard to describe to some people just how interconnected our oil supply is to this economy. They dont realize that it is the glue hold it together..... I could go on :)
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Armageddon » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:21:19

Money represents the ability to do work. Energy is the ability to do work.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mefistofeles » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 02:49:01

There is a little statement printed on a dollar bill that reads :

"In God We Trust"

I would argue that money at its most fundamental level is trust.

Its the idea that those dollars in your wallet will buy a burger at McDonalds.

Its the idea that the little piece of paper your your employer gives you at the end of every week or every two weeks can be used to buy goods and services.

Its the idea that your labor and work will actually be worth something that can help you acquire what you need and want in life.

Its the idea that you don't need to stockpile guns, ammunition, water and food to provide your own welfare and well being.

Its what allows a farmer to buy a tractor, even if the man who sells him the tractor doesn't need 50,000 bushels of wheat.

Once the dollar breakdowns down its either hard currency,gold barter or ammunition that dictates the terms of trade.

Even if this isn't the end of the dollar we are just that much closer today than where we were yesterday. Whether its a day, a week a month a year or a decade away the dollar party must end.
In retrospect I suppose its been fun.
mefistofeles
Coal
Coal

Return to Economics & Finance