Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Its a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away...

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Its a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away...

Unread postby DrBang » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:18:19

For decades now the US has been pulling some amazingly bad sh*t on the rest of the world. The rest of the world has let it go because it was all too hard to do anything about it. Now the rest of the world is being forced to see things as they really are.

Time to act I guess. Time to pay the piper and fess up. I would like to hear some thoughts of those here on what a full accountability statement would include. I would be interested in hearing about it all. Let em have it! :twisted:
Dr Bang
For every question , there is a lie. For every lie, there is a truth. For every truth, there is a way. And for every way, there is a time. This is the time.
DrBang
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Its a loathsome offesnive brute, yet I can't look away..

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:29:04

This is going to be a long list. Are you trying to break the internet? :)

But to be fair, the rest of the world have been dirty rotten scoundrels to each other every chance they have gotten as well.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby la2al2tex » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:31:08

Are you an "enemy of freedom"?
la2al2tex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Snowrunner » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:31:27

Jotapay wrote:This is going to be a long list. Are you trying to break the internet? But to be fair, the rest of the world have been dirty rotten scoundrels to each other every chance they have gotten as well.

Yep. There is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" nation, or "good" or "bad" business. All of these constructs exist as an object of opportunity.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby la2al2tex » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:49:36

Would we be posting these messages now were it not for the loathsome offensive brute?
la2al2tex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:52:53

I ,for one, welcome our new China overlord! LOL
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DrBang » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:54:20

This is going to be a long list. Are you trying to break the internet?

No doubt. I subscribe to the model where all countries interact at a geopolitical level behind what is seen in mainstream media. The US has gone farther than most others in living memory. The worst may well be the British.

I also find it interesting that at a point, all conspiracy theories merge into one picture.
For every question , there is a lie. For every lie, there is a truth. For every truth, there is a way. And for every way, there is a time. This is the time.
DrBang
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DrBang » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 20:55:50

Are you an "enemy of freedom"?

This made me laugh out loud and wake up my daughter. Thanks for the smiles. :)
DrBang
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Zardoz » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 01:39:01

la2al2tex wrote:Are you an "enemy of freedom"?

Sounds like it. Maybe he needs a personal regime change. Perhaps we should bring democracy and freedom into his living room, especially if he has any oil under his house.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 02:35:56

DrBang wrote:
This is going to be a long list. Are you trying to break the internet?
No doubt. I subscribe to the model where all countries interact at a geopolitical level behind what is seen in mainstream media.The US has gone farther than most others in living memory. The worst may well be the British.
I also find it interesting that at a point, all conspiracy theories merge into one picture.

Quite right, Quite right, The citizens of Zimbabwe are so much better off now that the bloody British have given up the colony.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 03:00:21

Ah, I thought this thread was going to be dedicated to Tor Johnson.

mos6507

Re: Its a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away..

Unread postby DrBang » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 07:37:24

I find it curious the disparity of how Americans see their country and how the rest of the world see it.
DrBang
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby burtonridr » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 13:02:28

DrBang wrote:I find it curious the disparity of how Americans see their country and how the rest of the world see it.

I have always wondered how you (the rest of the world) see it, care to explain?
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 13:25:09

I live in a big international community and I use to live in a building for internation students working with them and helping them acclimate to this country. 99% of them seen america as the great land of opportunity.

Unless they were from europe and then they just spent their time making fun of americans for being fat and lazy.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby threadbear » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 13:36:27

la2al2tex wrote:Would we be posting these messages now were it not for the loathsome offensive brute?

This is a moral argument, not one about technocratic triumphalism, though in the US, distinctions between business success in any area, and morality often get confused, or are inextricably linked in the collective mind. Thank you for providing a clear example of the utter loathsomeness that defines your country, internationally, and why your kind must be firmly anchored in the muddy waters of moral bottom feeders.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby efarmer » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 14:23:40

"Its a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away.."

I remember hearing this exact phrase come from the
bride's side of the church during my wedding. Hearing
it again after all these years makes old efarmer moist
in the peepers.

* edited because old efarmer in the throes of an emo
meltdown botched his own name
Last edited by efarmer on Wed 17 Sep 2008, 15:56:43, edited 1 time in total.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 14:36:24

DrBang wrote:I find it curious the disparity of how Americans see their country and how the rest of the world see it.

If only you knew what Americans thought of the Continent of Criminals..... :razz:

Admittedly I've heard theres a lot of redheads down there, and I do love redheads.....
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby threadbear » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 14:48:01

Specop_007 wrote:

If only you knew what Americans thought of the Continent of Criminals..... :razz:

Most can't find it on a map.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Snowrunner » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 14:49:09

burtonridr wrote:

I have always wondered how you (the rest of the world) see it, care to explain?

Ugh that would be a book in and on itself, but let me try to paint a picture in very very broad strokes.

• A land with a lot of promises that was sold down the river by the supposedly non existing elite.
  • Public opinion being "fabricated" by the non-existing "intellectual" elite.
  • As a whole, anti intellectual. Complex issues are only complex because the other person is trying to confuse the "average" American. (I do give the average American a bit more credit, but it seems that most people have swallowed that line hook line and sinker).
  • Optimistic to a degree that it at times crosses the line into naivete.
  • Not "looking back" only "forward". Which results in a lot of repeated mistakes that could have been avoided.
  • Thick and thin skinned (as a society) at the same time.

A lot of the "image" that America projects is through it's media and all that it entails. The reality on the Ground is quite different, I have lived and travelled through the US quite a bit in a decade and a half and my personal feeling is one of disappointment. What I thought the US was and what the reality is were two different things.

The Russians (supposely) had the Potemkin Villages to show the Czar just how well his people where off, which lead to the revolution. The US has Disney Land.... True to it's founding fathers, it's not the ones in power who are deceived but the populance and I think even those who know don't dare to open the door to that nice looking house, afraid of what they may really find there.

But to be clear: Every country is self deceiving. We all have an image of ourselves that mostly is much nicer than reality.

And finally: Most Americans I have met in person are nice people, even the "vaunted" Republicans (I had to do a business roadtrip with one in my last job for two weeks), but there is also a high-degree of self denial going on, I think the more dire the situation for the individual the harder they squeeze their eyes and push the fingers into their ears, but that's human too.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby threadbear » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 15:03:02

Dr. Bang, I have to give equal time for my loathing of the Canadian self image. "We are so nice. We always do the right thing. We never raise our voices and our children are all above average". It's like Lake Woebegone, from coast to coast! I make me sick, I tell you! :lol:
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Economics & Finance