Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What are we missing?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

What are we missing?

Unread postby Spanktron9 » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 12:11:20

With AIG dominating the headlines (rightfully so!), and WM crawling into a corner to die and bearly garnering any attention. What regional, local collapses are we missing because we are all staring at the huge bonfire on Wall St.?

I'm talking about large local employers or state funds that are running into serious trouble.
Spanktron9
Lignite
Lignite

Re: What are we missing?

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 12:26:05

Not much in Upstate NY but the state as a whole is farked up and in debt.

I heard NPR in Boston say that the state (Mass) has not lost very much because they got out of all the LEH holdings. No amount was mentioned. The MBTA in Boston is running so far in the red that they are asking for a bailout from the state since revenue from tolls is not what they budgeted for even with the price hike.

Arsenal.
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Spanktron9 » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 12:44:38

Thanks Arsenal. Is that it? Nothing else going on? Anyone? Bueller?
Spanktron9
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Eppo » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 12:46:13

Socal is life as usual, nothing major happening here.
Eppo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 12:54:50

Couple more small businesses than usual have closed their doors in Toronto, nothing major though.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Eli » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 13:01:28

This is not your standard collapse, it is a top down collapse.

Really it started in the highest echelon of the financial world with complex trades and debt instruments. It is just now filtering into the lower levels of the economy, it only gets really bad when the consumer proves once and for all he is tapped out.

The tripping of the consumer has held up pretty damn well up to this point but now there are clear signs that he is giving up the ghost.

Then 75% of the economy craps out and we get another round of lay offs bks and further home price destruction.
Eli
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby burtonridr » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 13:37:21

HP announced they are going to make big layoffs... thats all I know
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RdSnt » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 13:55:43

So that's what they me by Trickle-down effect :-D

Eli wrote:This is not your standard collapse, it is a top down collapse.

Really it started in the highest echelon of the financial world with complex trades and debt instruments. It is just now filtering into the lower levels of the economy, it only gets really bad when the consumer proves once and for all he is tapped out.

The tripping of the consumer has held up pretty damn well up to this point but now there are clear signs that he is giving up the ghost.

Then 75% of the economy craps out and we get another round of lay offs bks and further home price destruction.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 22:19:43

How about the almost eery silence surrounding a significant gasoline price rise and pending large scale regional shortage of product in a bunch of southern and eastern US states?

I'd call that significant. MM is almost completely silent about the shortages and lines which are already developing across the Gulf coast and Southern states.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 22:55:43

AirlinePilot wrote:How about the almost eery silence surrounding a significant gasoline price rise and pending large scale regional shortage of product in a bunch of southern and eastern US states?

I'd call that significant. MM is almost completely silent about the shortages and lines which are already developing across the Gulf coast and Southern states.

Which is why threads like this every so often are so important. Thanks for the update.

I personally have not noticed any shortages per se, but I have noticed the prices at the pumps have been mostly stationary, despite the huge dropoff in oil prices.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SchroedingersCat » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:26:38

I just finished reading the Lehman bankruptcy filing. Citibank is by far the largest creditor. The bulk of the remaining big creditors are Japanese. Keep an eye on the Asian desk.

Interestingly, Lehman was a major investor in Ronco. Slice and dice, baby!
Civilization is a personal choice.
SchroedingersCat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DantesPeak » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:32:03

AirlinePilot wrote:How about the almost eery silence surrounding a significant gasoline price rise and pending large scale regional shortage of product in a bunch of southern and eastern US states?

The silence from the IEA is deafening. The bailed us out in 2005, but there is hardly a whisper about emergency gasoline supplies from Europe this time - but we are in worse shape now.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance