Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fed bails out Lehman

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Fed bails out Lehman

Unread postby SchroedingersCat » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:34:46

I knew they couldn't just let them fail.

ed repaid JPMorgan $87 billion for Lehman financing

The New York Federal Reserve intervened aggressively to shore up the U.S. financial system this week, providing at least $87 billion to help underpin trades with units of bankrupt Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc, court documents show.

The Fed's action is the latest sign of how U.S. authorities have been seeking to prop up financial markets following the failure of Lehman

Is anybody keeping track of how much the Fed is providing?
Civilization is a personal choice.
SchroedingersCat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Fed bails out Lehman

Unread postby seahorse » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:37:20

Yea, they just lied and said they wouldn't bail them out.
seahorse
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:45:09

SchroedingersCat wrote:Is anybody keeping track of how much the Fed is providing?

More than I can come up with in a lifetime of paying income taxes.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby seldom_seen » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:47:06

Man, JP Morgan sure gets some good breaks. Them and Goldman Sachs with their man Hank in Washington. They're probably laughing at all these chumps that don't have the right "connections." It's starting to read like a Mario Puzo novel.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby neocone » Tue 16 Sep 2008, 23:50:04

So... if I lost money in FNM... I will just ask the IRS to forgive my taxes since they engineered a complete descent of the shares down to 0.

Makes sense... I am all for being bailed out by the feds.
neocone
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby hope_full » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 00:06:28

Un-frickin'-believable. Just unbelievable. Wish I knew how they were going to fund all these giveaways. Guess this is just the "Print-as-you-go" payment plan.
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 01:09:00

Lehman got bailed out ? I thought is was AIG ? Now it's both ? When do the big 3 auto makers and airliners get bailed out ? Oh I forgot, they aren't part owner of the FED and have a licence to print their own money and bail out who they choose. It's nice living in a Plutocracy.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby startswithearthquakes » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 01:17:47

NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU
NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU NAU

Coming sooooooooon .... Doom Do OoO OM DOOOOOO0000000MMMMm!!!!!!
startswithearthquakes
Peat
Peat

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 01:19:31

The title of this thread is misleading. This isn't a Lehman bailout. This is the fed paying off a bunch of Lehman's debts post-mortem.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby drgoodword » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 03:49:50

smallpoxgirl wrote:The title of this thread is misleading. This isn't a Lehman bailout. This is the fed paying off a bunch of Lehman's debts post-mortem.

It may not be a bailout, but a large number of the crew and some passengers were given a most luxurious rescue.

The total cost for this "cashout" (if you will) has gone up to $138 billion..

J.P. Morgan gave Lehman a $87 billion advance Monday and a $51 billion advance Tuesday, according to a filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of New York.

(snip)

"Presumably, the funds to repay the loan at the end of each day come largely from the Federal Reserve's Primary Dealer Credit Facility," said Louis Crandall, an economist at Wrightson ICAP.
drgoodword

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 04:08:55

J.P. Morgan gave Lehman a $87 billion advance Monday and a $51 billion advance Tuesday, according to a filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of New York.

(snip)

"Presumably, the funds to repay the loan at the end of each day come largely from the Federal Reserve's Primary Dealer Credit Facility," said Louis Crandall, an economist at Wrightson ICAP.
[/quote]

That is some printing press they got going there! Its seems like they are printing off about $80B a day now to rescue their buddies.

Can I apply for a $1B loan here to join the ranks of the mega-rich? Can I wheel it over to the grocery store to buy a loaf of bread?

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance