Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

should i buy a vault and put my money in the vault?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

should i buy a vault and put my money in the vault?

Unread postby Southpaw » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 20:34:49

Now that i'm hearing that there are more then 100 banks in the danger zone of going out of business and they basically have almost no money anymore that they can pay back.

If washington mutual goes broke the fdic is also broke

i'm not a guy that buys gold or silver cause it's close to an all time high again and if there is a global meltdown gold doesn't do you anything good anyways.

so i've been thinking should i buy a vault and put all my money in it when i notice my bank will get into trouble?
Southpaw
Peat
Peat

Re: should i buy a vault and put my money in the vault?

Unread postby heroineworshipper » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 20:42:15

The zombies can move the vault to their headquarters & sit on it. A solid concrete bunker with CO2 scrubbing is probably the only solution. Built it in a sun lit location. Don't hide in the biology lab where you're trying mortgage vaccines on zombies.
Last edited by heroineworshipper on Wed 17 Sep 2008, 20:45:31, edited 1 time in total.
People first, then things, then dollars.
There will be enslavement, cannibalism, & zombie invasions.
heroineworshipper
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 20:45:08

The government will recapitalize FDIC and devalue your cash in the process. I'd say find a bank that seems to be in an above average situation, and then don't sweat that. IMHO run away inflation is a much more significant danger to your savings right now than bank failures.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Southpaw » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 20:55:11

hmm ok thx, well yeah my bank is relatively safe, i'm just preparing cause i doubt there are banks that can be trusted for the moment.
Southpaw
Peat
Peat

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 21:05:25

If all the banks are crashing, then your dollars probably aren't gonna be worth much either.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gollum » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 21:06:39

Buy good quality military grade firearms, ammo, gold, etc and put them in a vault, but only after you have a t least a year supply of everything you need to live.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GeoJAP » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 21:11:25

I think if you have to ask this question, then you don't know enough to do it right. It's like the people that say, "I want to buy a gun. Which one should I buy?" You just have to shake your head because you know the people have no idea what they are doing and there is so much to learn which they don't know.
GeoJAP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gollum » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 21:16:40

Any gun store owner will be glad to make recomendations, same with coin dealers and there is a lot of info on the net.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby joeltrout » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:14:42

I suggest buying a fire-proof gun safe that you can bolt to your concrete under your flooring. Then you can store guns, important documents, cash, precious metals, etc... and not have to worry about someone stealing it or it burning in a house fire.

Just make sure it is above flood level.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GeoJAP » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:20:28

gollum wrote:Any gun store owner will be glad to make recomendations, same with coin dealers and there is a lot of info on the net.

Jeez, those guys are the biggest blow hards in the business. If you want disinformation, ask a gun store owner about guns.
GeoJAP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GeoJAP » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:22:05

joeltrout wrote:I suggest buying a fire-proof gun safe that you can bolt to your concrete under your flooring. Then you can store guns, important documents, cash, precious metals, etc... and not have to worry about someone stealing it or it burning in a house fire.

Just make sure it is above flood level.

joeltrout

Not quite. My friend the angle grinder and I will have it open in less than an hour. You have a lot more to think about than put it in the closet and lock it up.
GeoJAP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby joeltrout » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:26:06

GeoJAP wrote:
Not quite. My friend the angle grinder and I will have it open in less than an hour. You have a lot more to think about than put it in the closet and lock it up.

I am no pro but I think it will take a little more than an angle grinder to get a trusted gun safe.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby neocone » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:26:32

Gun safes or "fireproof" safes are useless in case of a house fire... at most they resist 1/2 hr and then melt and burn like the rest.

During the wildfire that took my house and 4000 others in 2003 I couldn't tell my stove from my fridge after the fact as both were a pile of melted metal. Glass melted, brick desicated and fell as it was cray. The basement became an oven at 1500+ for a few hours, etc...

Best keep it minimal and simple. 30,000 years ago people were like us and managed to live an entire Life without the clutter characteristic of today's consumerism. Same can be said of some tribes in the world.
neocone
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:29:39

joeltrout wrote:
GeoJAP wrote:

I am no pro but I think it will take a little more than an angle grinder to get a trusted gun safe.

joeltrout

It just takes more time. As you purchase exponentially more expensive safes, you are only buying more time needed to break it open.

My point is that it isn't just about the safe, as a safe alone is lacking. There are at least a half dozen other things you need to do to your house if you want to make the *safe* secure.

And like neocene said, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket or you may be disappointed.
Last edited by Jotapay on Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:31:18, edited 1 time in total.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MOCKBA » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:31:13

Southpaw wrote:If washington mutual goes broke the fdic is also broke

Not really. If only WAMU would go under and there would still be no buyers for 50 cents on a dollar then FDIC payouts to WAMU customers would probably be frozen for a couple of years, but that's about it... Now, if WAMU and Citi would go under together and there would be no buyers for 50 cents on a dollar only then there might be a bit bigger problem then just for people lending their money to those institutions.... Wachovia is off the table since probably it would be bought very soon...

Financial system is more resilient then you might think and besides US is actively dealing with the problem while the rest of the world is just hoping for a miracle...
MOCKBA
Coal
Coal

Unread postby joeltrout » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:42:41

neocone wrote:Gun safes or "fireproof" safes are useless in case of a house fire... at most they resist 1/2 hr and then melt and burn like the rest.

During the wildfire that took my house and 4000 others in 2003 I couldn't tell my stove from my fridge after the fact as both were a pile of melted metal. Glass melted, brick desicated and fell as it was cray. The basement became an oven at 1500+ for a few hours, etc...

It didn't stay that way just from the house burning down.

Certified 1680ºF/90 minute fire protection for the Fort Knox safes. 90 minutes is a long time for a fire to burn. Most houses burn within 30 minutes.

neocone wrote:Best keep it minimal and simple. 30,000 years ago people were like us and managed to live an entire Life without the clutter characteristic of today's consumerism. Same can be said of some tribes in the world.

30,000 years ago their neighbors didn't own guns and begin to starve when McDonalds shuts their doors.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gandolf » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 23:44:37

MOCKBA wrote:
Southpaw wrote:Financial system is more resilient then you might think and besides US is actively dealing with the problem while the rest of the world is just hoping for a miracle...

Thats a joke
Firstly I think you will find that it was the good old US of A that caused the problem through greed and stupidity. A lot of the rest of the world were just greedy enough to join the bandwagon.

Secondly you say that the US is dealing with it... You have a government that is almost 10 trillion dollars in debt handing out 700 Billion dollars to keep dead corpses floating... Who do you think holds most of that colossal american debt? Start at China and then move to the middle east and you will get your answers.

The miracle that the rest of the world is hoping for is that the final collapse of the US dosnt affect them to much.
There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Return to Economics & Finance