Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SEC bans short-selling in US

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

SEC bans short-selling in US

Unread postby Cynus » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 20:47:14

Form the WSJ: SEC Plans to Temporarily Ban Short-Selling

The Securities and Exchange Commission took its most aggressive assault against bearish stock bets by stating its intention to issue a temporary ban on short-selling.

SEC Chairman Christopher Cox briefed Congress late Thursday ... It's unclear if the SEC's intention has been approved by the commissioners ... which stocks are covered or for how long it will be in effect.
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: SEC bans short-selling in US

Unread postby TreebeardsUncle » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 20:56:00

Was thinking about running over to WFB and placing puts on AIG on Monday. Never actually got around to it. Actually haven't done any options trading, due to concerns about initial wrong-way bets being multipied many times over to generate huge losses.
g
TreebeardsUncle
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Daculling » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:01:17

You might be a terrorist if you sell short... wow this is getting surreal. I'm closing my positions.

WSJ

The feds have seen a possible similar trends operating on Wall Street recently and no end to the panic selling on Wall Street. US corporate regulator, the SEC, is seeking to ease the terror by implementing emergency rules relating to short selling.
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jbrovont » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:06:18

With the credit market in cardiac arrest this is interesting. The Fed has just declared a monopoly on shorting the market.

Let me walk you through the process:

1) A bank gets in a cash pinch
2) With no where to turn, the bank has to ask the Fed for money
3) We all saw, FNM, FMC, LEH and AIG. We know how this plays out - we sell.
4) Stock slip tightens cash crunch
5) Bank get's loan if and only if the Treasury gets controlling interest in warrants
6) Government owns former bank's assets
7) Government gets to fire-sale bank assets to buddies
8) You get to pay the difference in tax
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:11:03

those F'ing %^$%##^%$!

fark.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Iaato » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:12:16

This and the $180 billion in new international swaps are the real reason for the late stock surge today. Not the discussion about RTC-the sequel. No matter what the fundamental value of the stock, our US stock markets are no longer allowed to go anyway but up. Even our local paper had two articles today commenting on the demise of free-market capitalism.
“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.” --Voltaire
Iaato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Location: As close as I can get to the beginning of the pipe.

Unread postby shortonoil » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:28:59

Iaato said:

No matter what the fundamental value of the stock, our US stock markets are no longer allowed to go anyway but up.

The point when people are willing to dump stock at a loss is already here. Unless the government is willing to buy all of Wall Street, stock will still fall. They are undoubtedly willing, but obviously not able.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:47:51

Does anyone else feel like they've just stepped through the looking glass? The world has just gotten very bizarre.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Iaato » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 21:55:25

I comfort myself, SPG, that the edifices coming down are all paper games in our urban financial centers. It helps to steady the dizzy, whirlling feeling. Focusing on basic needs and preps at the local level keeps things real and grounded for me.
“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.” --Voltaire
Iaato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Location: As close as I can get to the beginning of the pipe.

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:01:54

I feel like I've just been robbed!

What happens to the SKF now?
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby nobodypanic » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:04:45

Tyler_JC wrote:I feel like I've just been robbed!

excellent question.

i believe SKF uses synthetic shorting and doesn't actually short. i guess they do it by put options that sort of thing.

however, i defer to someone who actually knows about this crap. :P
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:04:57

It was noted long ago... A free market democracy is a wonderful, beautiful thing, until..

The people realize they can vote themselves money.

Fate was sealed a while back, its now only a question of watching which toes get stomped first as the thing comes apart.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:08:03

AgentR wrote:It was noted long ago... A free market democracy is a wonderful, beautiful thing, until..

The people realize they can vote themselves money.

Fate was sealed a while back, its now only a question of watching which toes get stomped first as the thing comes apart.

funny the people never voted themselves universal higher education and healthcare, huh?

it isn't a democracy, it's a plutocracy. and they've been voting themselves money for a long long time.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mattduke » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:08:16

When in the course of human events...
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:20:50

nobodypanic wrote:it isn't a democracy, it's a plutocracy. and they've been voting themselves money for a long long time.

I don't think the plutocrats part in this is so bad really; they vote themselves money and projects and expenses and activities all in the course of organizing and orchestrating the labor of thousands or millions.

Where the damage comes is when The People, individually, get money for nothing. It equates no work, no production with some odd number of a type of currency. If no work is worth $1000, why shouldn't no work be worth a $5000 check next year?

Now the plutocrats are trying vainly to plug a whole that can't be plugged, and they'll manage to keep the boat afloat for a while, but none the less, sitting on my butt watching the backs of my eyelids is worth $1000 today; but tomorrow... I might want more, no?
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 22:35:01

Cube, you out there dude? Not 48 hours ago you said "they'd never ban short selling."

Whoops.

That's like a JDenver call for oil dropping. For about 2 months every time that dude called a top, we'd get a spike w/in 12 hours.

The PTB will do anything they want.

What is so hard to understand about that?

The people will either react or they won't.

I love that some people are recommending that, "you contact your senator/congressperson".

Jeez, with few exceptions, these people are morons.

What's the point of calling morons to deal with a

once in the history of humans economic catastrophe.

Are you still with me?

Cuz this one's a beaut.

I no longer view PO as the most critical near-term problem.

I think total economic collapse and martial law may be effected well before the words "Peak Oil" ever become mainstream.

I think, sadly, that it's entirely possible that one day soon I won't be able to log into this web site.

Weird, huh?

I now believe there is a small and growing chance that the govt. will go into lock down at some point in the next 12 months.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DantesPeak » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 23:01:51

nobodypanic wrote:
Tyler_JC wrote:I feel like I've just been robbed!

excellent question.

i believe SKF uses synthetic shorting and doesn't actually short. i guess they do it by put options that sort of thing.

however, i defer to someone who actually knows about this crap. :P

That's right. This will have no effect on the operations of SKF, and many other ETFs.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MOCKBA » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 23:12:10

And besides there are so many ways one could create synthetic shorts with derivatives... F.e. http://www.voptions.com/bearish_strateg ... _stock.htm

Not all would be allowed to trade this however, only wealthy and experienced.

I first panicked because short-sellers are the buyers in the down-trend who stop the bottom of the market from falling off, but cooled down by now because the market would still function and would be arbitraged via synthetics. It would be more expensive though and more volatile...

If they would ban short-selling 10% daily moves in any direction would be no surprise... People would be sucked into false rallies and would be punished and the same is equally applicable to bears that would be killed by false optimism...
MOCKBA
Coal
Coal

Unread postby JohnDenver » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 00:29:18

Cashmere wrote:Cube, you out there dude? Not 48 hours ago you said "they'd never ban short selling."

Whoops.

That's like a JDenver call for oil dropping. For about 2 months every time that dude called a top, we'd get a spike w/in 12 hours.

Yah, and then it dropped like a mother f*cker. Hope ya enjoyed the ride down, y'all :o

Banning short-selling is an excellent, common sense response to the current situation. I'm surprised its taken them this long to try it. About time somebody got the bugspray and started hosing the vermin infestation we euphemistically call the "financial system".

Heard cube lost $7000 in two hours. Here's hoping the rest of you can be just as successful. :)
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 00:57:24

What happens after the shorts cover? Im guessing some huge bounce in the markets tomorrow, gigantic pressure to bid up, go higher, then comes the real crash, probably within a few days/weeks.

This is going to make the current volatility look like Child's play.
I'm kind of dumbfounded right now, this seems actually slightly insane. Either that or they are covering up some really big implosion that was about to go down.

Welcome to the new world. They have changed the rules of the game in midstream and be damned the consequences.

UNBELIEVABLE!
AirlinePilot

Next

Return to Economics & Finance