Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The documentary "Power of Community" is now online

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

The documentary "Power of Community" is now online

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 22:18:12

Every so often I will check to see if this excellent film has been uploaded online and it is finally available.

You can watch it here: The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil

Here is more info about the film:
"When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half – and food by 80 percent – people were desperate. This 52 minute film tells of the hardships and struggles as well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people during this difficult time. Cubans share how they transitioned from a highly mechanized, industrial agricultural system to one using organic methods of farming and local, urban gardens.

It is an inspiring look into the Cuban culture during this economic crisis, which they call "The Special Period." Cuba, being the only country that has faced such a crisis – the massive reduction of fossil fuels – is an example of options and hope."

It's one of my favorite films on peak oil. Cheers!
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Re: The documentary "Power of Community" is now on

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 00:16:57

Excellent film. Maybe a little too overtly optimistic, though. But I'm a pessimist by nature.
mos6507

Unread postby tribalzendancer » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 01:42:21

Yeah, but after watching films like "The End of Suburbia" and reading so much literature that spells the end of modern society as we know it with little emphasis on potential solutions, people need something to inspire them.

Otherwise there is the danger that people will fall into a state of mental paralysis where the fear of collapse is so strong they shut down and end up doing nothing.

People are not easily motivated by the fear of negative things happening (at least there are too many dangers associated with this style, including denial and the paralysis mentioned above). But people can be motivated to create a positive future that is better than the one they have. That is the value I see in the film.

A post-carbon future could be better than the one we have. Building EcoCities, or EcoVillages - that's the promise. If collapse happens, we'll be better prepared for it because we started working on building a future we actually want now.
tribalzendancer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby whereagles » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 03:25:33

Well, at least global peak oil won't happen from night to day... And keep in mind Cuban society, in a way, had more preparation to deal with scarcity than most.
whereagles
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby VMarcHart » Tue 23 Sep 2008, 07:36:32

mos6507 wrote:...I'm a pessimist by nature.
A-ha! I knew it! I knew it!
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DryGuy » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 17:08:08

Well...they also had the fist of a communist system to "help" them along.

"congradulations, citizen to aid the movement you can leave your family home and join your brothers in collective farm #64 on the outskirts of yakville. You are happy?..yes comrade?....leave your houses possesions you no longer need them...you are free. Your family will join you later, they go to the factory for a time.
DryGuy
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak Oil Discussion