Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gas Panic in Nashville . . .

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Gas Panic in Nashville . . .

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:48:58

Linky Link

Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy: An estimated three-fourths of gas stations in the Nashville, Tennessee, area ran dry Friday, victim of an apparent rumor that the city was running out of gas.

Granted this is Nashville, but the hominids there are similar enough to modern humans :P to warrant this serving as an example of just how edgy people are getting.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Gas Panic in Nashville . . .

Unread postby Mack12345 » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 16:34:08

Hi,
It wasnt just nashville thats been experienceing shortages recently in tennessee .
I live in the area "roughly" of chattanooga , TN . On friday , september 12 I was in a small city near chattanooga called cleveland , tennessee . I tried to get gas and three stations were totaly out .. the fourth station I finaly found gas but a 10 gallon limit was set on purchase .

That weekend , the 12, 13 , 14th of september was BAD .. lots of stations around chattanooga were flooded with people , there were some fights at pumps reported in the local news .
In the small town of Soddy daisy , tennessee "also very near chattanooga .. the gas stations had gas but all three "grades" of gas had been filled up with just regular .

Just thought id chime in since the topic was related to me somehow .

Regards,
Mack .
Mack12345
Peat
Peat

Unread postby DantesPeak » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 18:03:03

A gas shortage in Nashville was not caused by panic, but by market conditions and geographic location. Panic results from the realization that sufficient supplies aren't available.

Not being near any ocean seaports, TN depends on pipelines from the Gulf Coast for gasoline. All the major gasoline pipelines were impaired by the two hurricanes. It takes about 2 weeks for gasoline to reach Nashville, which is when the shortages started showing up after the first hurricane.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 18:11:17

I was talking today to somebody who lives just outside Nashville. She was saying that in their area there was no gasoline for several days, but they just got it back in this morning. It definitely didn't just hit out of the blue Friday afternoon if the surrounding area had been out for days already.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 18:30:24

smallpoxgirl wrote:I was talking today to somebody who lives just outside Nashville. She was saying that in their area there was no gasoline for several days, but they just got it back in this morning. It definitely didn't just hit out of the blue Friday afternoon if the surrounding area had been out for days already.

Whack-a-Mole begins.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion