Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"You're Fired."

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Are you contacting the House and Senate?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 58

"You're Fired."

Unread postby jbrovont » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 16:16:52

I'm sending letters to all my representatives to put them on notice:

If you vote for or allow any more bailouts, come November, you're fired. You're writing a bad check with my name on it for $20,000. For a huge chunk of the American population, this is more than they earn in a year. Everyone else will have to make up the difference, and it won't stop the collapse anyway.

If I see your name with the "Ayes," you may as well start packing your things.

I'm also telling everyone I know. Republican, Democrat or otherwise, what this translates into for them: $20,000 in more taxes, and a huge increase in expenses for things like groceries and gas. All this is just a way to make sure the pirates on Wallstreet get their millions of dollars while the USA crumbles under a mountain of debt that you have done nothing to control.

This isn't a partisan issue. This is basic economics, and don't think for one second that your constituents are too stupid to realize that this isn't only not in their best interest, but it's also a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States.

If you do this, you will be voted out. You will lose your job, and you will be scrounging for food along with the rest of us.

Consider yourself put on notice.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: "You're Fired."

Unread postby Leanan » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 16:44:13

Contact your representative

Fill out your state and zip+5, and you will be directed to the web page of your representative. You can e-mail him or her, or get information to write or phone. (Which is probably more effective than e-mailing, but e-mailing is better than nothing.)

Contact your senator

Use the pulldown to choose your state, you'll get the contact information, including e-mail, for both your senators.

I did contact my congress critters to air my views. I usually don't do that. The last time I did it, it was to tell them that invading Iraq was a terrible idea.

They went ahead anyway, and I expect they'll go ahead this time, too. But at least I can say I spoke out.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 17:19:38

Already sent out the emails. :)
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mango_bananas » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 17:24:51

jbrovont, thank you for the fine language, I could not have put it better. And Leanan, thank you for the links; I've emailed my congressmen.
mango_bananas
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Cog » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 17:25:41

Email sent. First time I've ever written to a Congressman. Was respectful but clear a yes vote now will result in a no vote on him in November.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Gorm » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 17:36:32

Is this thread in the right forum?

America has its own....

:)
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cashmere » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 18:00:51

This isn't a partisan issue. This is basic economics, and don't think for one second that your constituents are too stupid to realize that this isn't only not in their best interest, but it's also a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States.

Are you being serious?
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 19:08:43

Cashmere wrote:

Are you being serious?

Circular file.............
vision-master

Unread postby fiedag » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 19:48:43

>Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

Love the tag vision-master. Respects.
fiedag
Peat
Peat

Unread postby allmeyer » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 20:14:25

I've been thinking about the contents of my letter all day. They need to know that you have an opinion about it and you're not just sitting there completely oblivious to the situation. But at the same time I realize that I will probably be put on "the list" just for expressing my opinion about it. Oh well, it is a risk I am willing to take.
allmeyer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby efarmer » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 20:18:37

I think it is a good thing that Hank and Ben put the
fiscal defibrillator on Uncle Sam's chest last week and
got him pumping again and into a bed in the ICU.
I don't think their reward for this is to be given
absolute power in the financial realm without
oversight. I recall we did that for the Iraq war
with terrible results.

Uncle Sam has been living dangerously lately, eating
rich food, partying, and driving like a bat out of hell
in his old, beater, green, Fiat. Congress has to show
how many have game, guts, brains, and a fire in their ass
this week, and show if they really do work for you,
in which case I suppose you really could then fire them.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 21:17:15

Nicely put, as usual, efarmer. Do you mind if we put some of that spicy language in our letters?

Hey, how about writing letters to editors while we're at it?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby TheDude » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 23:35:03

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DantesPeak » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 23:56:32

Basically they want the able to buy financial assets of any kind. That would include Level III derivavtives, which firms have valued themselves, but would like off their books.

If they get away with this, the ramifications are probably more extreme than anything that has ever happened to the US up until now.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby joeltrout » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 00:06:08

I don't like what is happening but I would much rather the govt bailout the US than the other option.

What would happen if people couldn't borrow to purchase a car or student loans were no longer offered, or nobody could get a mortgage no matter how big their downpayment or small businesses could not borrow money for their operations.

The US economy would disappear.

There is actually a small chance these "assets" could make a profit for the American public since they were bought at rock bottom prices.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Prince » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 00:39:02

joeltrout wrote:There is actually a small chance these "assets" could make a profit for the American public since they were bought at rock bottom prices.

Ha! Do you honestly think that you (or the collective American people) will see or benefit one iota from any profit or gain that is made from these "investments"?
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Boo38 » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 00:46:50

Perhaps we should break out of this "constant debt" paridigm.

This bail out will be like giving an irresponsible person with 17 maxed-out credit cards a GIFT to pay them off. The underlying problem and behaviors will not change. The irresponsible person will be back seeking more gifts very soon!

I wonder if TPTB really believe that this will solve the problem. I suspect that they are just puttting a tourniquet on the wound, buying enough time to put themselves in a better position for the inevitable collapse of the United States.
Boo38
Wood
Wood

Unread postby joeltrout » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 01:36:17

Prince wrote:
joeltrout wrote:There is actually a small chance these "assets" could make a profit for the American public since they were bought at rock bottom prices.

Ha! Do you honestly think that you (or the collective American people) will see or benefit one iota from any profit or gain that is made from these "investments"?

No but maybe Social Security will last a month or two longer. :)

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby americandream » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 06:02:04

jbrovont wrote:I'm sending letters to all my representatives to put them on notice:

If you vote for or allow any more bailouts, come November, you're fired. You're writing a bad check with my name on it for $20,000. For a huge chunk of the American population, this is more than they earn in a year. Everyone else will have to make up the difference, and it won't stop the collapse anyway.

If I see your name with the "Ayes," you may as well start packing your things.

I'm also telling everyone I know. Republican, Democrat or otherwise, what this translates into for them: $20,000 in more taxes, and a huge increase in expenses for things like groceries and gas. All this is just a way to make sure the pirates on Wallstreet get their millions of dollars while the USA crumbles under a mountain of debt that you have done nothing to control.

If you do this, you will be voted out. You will lose your job, and you will be scrounging for food along with the rest of us.

Consider yourself put on notice.

Good on you mate! Boot these dole bludging blood suckers up their collective arses!
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 06:04:38

Prince wrote:

What are yer smoking chum? Who in the world is going to buy securitised bad loans? Are you?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to North America Discussion