Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Impact on auto loans by financial crisis?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Impact on auto loans by financial crisis?

Unread postby Woodenpaddler » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 09:08:13

Any thoughts on how will the financial crisis affect auto loans etc. depending on how this plays out? I'd like to reduce my debt and operating expenses by getting a small used car, and sell my truck before gas prices are perceived as jumping again. But my current loan is fixed at only 4% and the truck is handy now for home improvements and preps. Perhaps a bailout will buy me some time, but if things are going to nosedive I'd probably better make a move now. Timing relative to the election could be another big factor.
Woodenpaddler
Wood
Wood

Re: Impact on auto loans by financial crisis?

Unread postby Arsenal » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 09:16:14

I actually had the same thought. Our vehicle is on its last leg and we were thinking on getting a small diesel car or a hybrid but the credit market is trashed. Has anyone tried to get a loan recently? I have great credit. 700+ so I figure as long as they are loaning any money out I should get some. :)
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Leanan » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 09:42:39

The squeeze on getting a car loan

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A massive pile-up in the credit markets is causing serious congestion for new car buyers who want financing, according to industry observers. But some dealers say they're still able to work out deals.

"Credit availability has been the number one issue in our industry for several months now," said Mike Jackson, chief executive of AutoNation (AN, Fortune 500), the country's largest auto dealership chain.

The inability to arrange suitable financing has killed the deal for a lot of customers in AutoNation's 317 dealerships nationwide, Jackson said. He stressed that customers are still coming in, but they can't get a loan they can afford on the vehicle they want.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Wed 24 Sep 2008, 09:44:09

Remember how the Big Three all cut out their leasing programs? Very smart move on their parts, given the new developments. :roll:
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby luckysevenheaven » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 23:22:55

To Woodenpaddler....

I got a car loan today. I'm jumping in line as if inflation starts happening it will be worse too!
My loan was for 15,000 as I've got 6000 down.....(almost as long as I sell my 'work vehicle' for 800.)

I don't see interest rates going down (in long term). If anything they will go up as well as basic costs and inflation will make things worse.

My job is secure as I have a tenured public service job (in for 10 years). The only way I wouldn't have done the loan is if I was in private sector and felt like my job would be effected. I suggest if you have a decent 700+ fico score and can get a loan get one. It's usually good for 30 days (I believe thats called Escrow) and then you have it in case you need it. Suze Ormond says if somethings in Escrow you will still be ok as youv'e already been approved. Not the that the big SO knows everything but I usually take her advice as she's been right on from what I've done in business dealings.
luckysevenheaven
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 23:31:07

Got bike (or scooter)?
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance