Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Dollar and The Financial Crisis

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The Dollar and The Financial Crisis

Unread postby mefistofeles » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 01:17:31

One gauge of the severity of the financial crisis could be the strength of the dollar.

As the crisis has escalated I noticed the dollar crossed several critical thresholds. On the first week the Euro went from 1.38 to 1.43 dollars.

Now we are in the second week and after trading around 1.466 for a while it seems to trading in the 1.47 range.

In other words I am using the dollar Euro exchange ratio as a scorecard that helps me gauge the crisis. The stronger the Euro becomes the more accute the financial crisis and crisis of confidence in the dollar.

My theory is that as the crisis reaches the next "inflection point" the dollar will depreciate at an increasing rate.

Ironically this crisis is proving to be a real boom for the energy and commodities markets. As the dollar disintegrates the price of commodities will increase.
mefistofeles
Coal
Coal

Re: The Dollar and The Financial Crisis

Unread postby Koyaanisqatsi » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 03:44:33

Koyaanisqatsi
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dsula » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 08:09:59

mefistofeles wrote:One gauge of the severity of the financial crisis could be the strength of the dollar.

The value of the dollar will stop sliding once the US trade gap closes. And at +$50b / month of negative trade there's a very long way to go. However it's just a matter of time till europe will also face this problem.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gollum » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 08:34:42

The dollar will continue to decline at an accelerating pace as it becomes clear the only thing the feds can do is print money. You can print money but you cant print wealth.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sittinguy » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 09:43:01

I'm REALLY waiting to see what happens to the dollar when the 700b get passed.
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Return to Economics & Finance