PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US bailing up UK Banks?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

US bailing up UK Banks?

Unread postby eXpat » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 23:27:17

Well, well, that´s really very generous!!! 8O
UK banks hold £95bn of sour assets that could qualify for US bailout plan

Britain’s five leading high street banks have as much as £95.3 billion ($175 billion) of distressed assets on their books that may qualify for the American bailout scheme.

If the British banks tap the rescue fund being set up by the US Treasury and the Federal Reserve to the maximum, they could secure one quarter of the $700 billion being made available. Under the terms of an outline agreement that appeared to have been reached by US policymakers last night, Britain’s lenders will be able to use the facility.

However, the prospect that the US Treasury could pay for UK banks’ bad assets is likely to infuriate some American politicians and taxpayers, who would foot the bill. As Congress edged closer to agreeing a plan for the central bank to take on lenders’ toxic assets, HSBC appeared to be the UK-based bank best placed to benefit.

Combined, the five British lenders hold securities worth $175 billion, which they could transfer to a federally backed Treasury fund. Under the proposed terms of the rescue package, non-US financial institutions must have significant operations in America to qualify.
Alex Potter, a Collins Stewart banks analyst, said: “HSBC, RBS and Barclays would be the clear main beneficiaries if the facility is approved, they are allowed access to it and if they chose to place some of their securities there. If they have a substantial enough presence in the US — HBOS has a limited treasury function, for example — they should be eligible. The question then will be: ‘What are the qualifying instruments?’.”

link
That is really very grand!, like, outstanding example of American generosity :o
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: US bailing up UK Banks?

Unread postby Cashmere » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 23:33:32

Wow. That would add evidence to the theory that European Bankers have run the U.S. for a long time.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 23:44:41

Cashmere wrote:Wow. That would add evidence to the theory that European Bankers have run the U.S. for a long time.

These "assetts" are worthless, it wasn't the European Bankers that are running the US, but the Greed of the US Bankers to trade worthless crap for US Currency.

The whole thing with bailing out International Banks is intended to guarantee that they will continue to buy papers solely on the promise that it's worth something.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jbrovont » Thu 25 Sep 2008, 23:47:32

Argh! I think I just grew a new vein in my forehead.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 26 Sep 2008, 00:05:24

jbrovont wrote:Argh! I think I just grew a new vein in my forehead.

:lol: :-D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby thylacine » Fri 26 Sep 2008, 00:41:43

National Australia may seek to offload its A$1 billion in U.S. subprime mortgage-related investments as part of the U.S. government's $700 billion Wall Street rescue package, the Australian newspaper reported today, citing a report by Goldman Sachs Group.

Yanks pay for everyone's f*** ups!

Looks like the Aussie banks might have their begging bowls out as well!
thylacine
Peat
Peat

Return to Economics & Finance