Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Which third party candidate will win?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Which third party candidate will win?

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 27 Sep 2008, 21:38:33

Since we all hate Obama and McCain, and will be voting with compassion and common sense - which third party candidate will you be voting for to win this election?
Ludi

Re: Which third party candidate will win?

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sat 27 Sep 2008, 21:57:50

Should make this a poll.

In Oklahoma you can't vote for a third party, even as a write in.

But I like the Libertarian platform the best.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby coyote » Sat 27 Sep 2008, 22:12:43

Voting for a third party is for some the only way to take part in the system and still protest mainstream policies.

I haven't yet decided which third party candidate I will vote for. But they won't win. It will be a protest vote.

If I do wind up voting for Obama it will be nothing more than voting against Palin. Sure does get tiring after a while, with no one to vote for, but again and again only people to vote against.
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 27 Sep 2008, 22:21:02

Ludi wrote:Since we all hate Obama and McCain, and will be voting with compassion and common sense - which third party candidate will you be voting for to win this election?

I voted for Nader in 2000 and that was a mistake. I recently didn't vote for the Democrat incumbent mayor in my city and he lost to the Republican. I voted Libertarian since the Democrat was spending taxpayer money on a football stadium. That was a mistake, too. I was talking with someone who builds sustainable structures (sidewalks, bikelanes, etc...) and the Republican is totally against the progress they were making. Just wants to build more roads like all Republicans do.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Gerben » Sun 28 Sep 2008, 00:39:07

I have a feeling that most people here don't like either candidate. American elections always make me glad to live in in a monarchy. You have decent candidates, but they are written off because the mass media and main political parties don't support them. Now you can only choose between two candidates with mostly the same ideas. This makes it effectively similar to the system they have in Iran (except there are more candidates there).
Gerben
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: Holland, Belgica Foederata (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands)

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 28 Sep 2008, 16:47:46

Gerben wrote: Now you can only choose between two candidates with mostly the same ideas. This makes it effectively similar to the system they have in Iran (except there are more candidates there).

Actually, politics in the US are more complicated then that. Obama and McCain actually have quite different ideas on some issues, but its true they both are saying similar things at this stage of the election to try to appeal to the middle of the electorate, because that is where the undecided voters area.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby alokin » Sun 28 Sep 2008, 19:54:26

I am not an US citizen, but even if you don't like both of them I would vote for Obama, because he is much less inclined to begin another war with Iran which would be catastrophic for the US.
I completely understand the wish to protest against both of them but I guess you would be better off with Obama and protest in another way against the gov.? If you vote for a third party you vote for Mc Cain and for Palin.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 28 Sep 2008, 22:47:00

Thanks for starting this thread Ludi.

It's a real bear trying to find which third party candidates are CLEARLY stating they will stop the assorted wars in a reasonable time frame, like their first day in office.

There must be a few out there, besides the CPUSA. C'mon now, someone, please!! I'm one vote to whomever states they will end the wars immediately.

As far as Obama and Iran are concerned, he'll do as he is told and attack Iraq or approve Israel to attack by proxy (same thing) just as quickly as McCain will. So on that point they are equal.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby coyote » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 03:37:29

Well, the green party says it's anti-war:

McKinney / Clemente
immediate withdrawal of troops and contractors
cut off all war funding
no war with Iran

Green Party
Green Party platform

... but they still count as politicians, so who really knows?

I'm looking for a candidate who thinks Paulson is a liar, and isn't afraid to say it. Good luck to me. :roll:
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby alokin » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 03:52:18

If you really want to vote for a thrid party you must work to get millions to do so.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Micki » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 04:50:54

Got to start somewhere....
Imagine if if 20% of the votes are put on 3rd party candidates (even if spread among several). It is a loud 'no-confidence' in the Demon-crats and Repugnincans
Micki

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 11:06:32

coyote wrote:Well, the green party says it's anti-war:

McKinney / Clemente
immediate withdrawal of troops and contractors
cut off all war funding
no war with Iran

Green Party
Green Party platform

... but they still count as politicians, so who really knows?

Thanks ... searched a bit and found this from the Green Party website:

Immediate. That's the key word I was looking earlier for and missed. Ok, at this point, it'll be Green Party.

1. Immediate cessations of US combat operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the rest of the region.

2. Full withdrawal of US military forces, civilian military contractors, and corporate interests on the fastest possible timetable consistent with the safety of bringing home US troops from Iraq, Afghanistan, and the other states of the region.

3. US diplomatic support for all of the regionÂ’s states and political groups to negotiate agreements for mutual security, peacekeeping, and reconstruction in the zones of conflict in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.

4. US funding for humanitarian aid for the reconstruction of Iraq and Afghanistan under the administration of local and international agencies and, if requested by the people of these countries, international peacekeeping forces.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 11:24:40

The third party candidates this year are Nader, Barr, McKinney, & Baldwin

I'd go with Nader again.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Micki » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 20:20:03

If USA is ready for a black president I think the Green party and Cynthia McKinney looks like a pretty attractive option.

Anyway, as I said before, any vote on any thirdparty candidate is a no-confidence vote in the twoparty system and their candidates, so I hope people make a meaningful choice rather than wasting their vote on the republicrats.
Micki

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 20:29:05

Micki wrote:If USA is ready for a black president I think the Green party and Cynthia McKinney looks like a pretty attractive option.

Anyway, as I said before, any vote on any thirdparty candidate is a no-confidence vote in the twoparty system and their candidates, so I hope people make a meaningful choice rather than wasting their vote on the republicrats.

.... and Democrats.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Micki » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 20:31:48

eastbay wrote:
Micki wrote:If USA is ready for a black president I think the Green party and Cynthia McKinney looks like a pretty attractive option.

.... and Democrats.

Well, republicrats is the fusion of the two.
I thought since there is so little difference between them, one name can represent both.
Micki

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 20:33:24

eastbay wrote:

.... and Democrats.

Republicrats is formed from Republican and Democrat. Your posts remind me of Planted Agent's incessant fantasy agenda.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 29 Sep 2008, 20:40:31

GoghGoner wrote:
eastbay wrote:

.... and Democrats.

Republicrats is formed from Republican and Democrat. Your posts remind me of Planted Agent's incessant fantasy agenda.

It's election time. :)

Discussing why a third party is a valid choice is both reasonable and appropriate. Discussing why one candidate is better than another or why one or more are poor choices is also timely and demonstrates proper forum etiquette.

'The dream of 'No War' was considered a fantasy in 1964 too. I hope the current pointless wars can stop in less time than it took to stop that pointless war.

Vote GREEN :)
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion