Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is this a "Catastrophic Emergency" for the US?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Is this a "Catastrophic Emergency" for the US?

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 04:11:13

Bush To Be Dictator In A Catastrophic Emergency

More Google hits

I mean the financial clusterfark of course.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Re: Is this a "Catastrophic Emergency" for the US?

Unread postby mefistofeles » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 04:32:34

I think Cheney will be running the show but I could be wrong.
mefistofeles
Coal
Coal

Unread postby jbrovont » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 04:46:45

The directive does seem to indicate that, but invoking it would cause a constitutional crisis. Bush doesn't have the authority to scuttle the powers of the Constitution since his authority comes from the Constitution. If he did this I think legally he, and anyone who continued to obey him, would become a splinter cell and cease to be a legal part of the US gov't. Depending of course, on who was paying the lawyer reading the Constitution.

In actuality who knows what would happen - tshtf for sure. You'd have portions of both the legislative and judiciary screaming "you can't do that," and Bush saying "yes, see here it's in this order I wrote for myself." Meanwhile some governors would go along with it and some wouldn't, and you'd probably end up with a call to arms among the state guards ala Lincoln's emancipation proclamation. All the "wackos" that have been screaming "martial law & death camps" would lock & load and come down out of the hills, any semblance of social order would falter, the economy would freeze up, and shortly thereafter, more than likely, hell on earth.

Bad bad bad goo goo any way you cut it. Let's hope we don't go that road.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 05:19:21

jbrovont wrote:The directive does seem to indicate that, but invoking it would cause a constitutional crisis. Bush doesn't have the authority to scuttle the powers of the Constitution since his authority comes from the Constitution. If he did this I think legally he, and anyone who continued to obey him, would become a splinter cell and cease to be a legal part of the US gov't. Depending of course, on who was paying the lawyer reading the Constitution.

I got a Dunce bet going with Cur on this one in another thread of course :-)

Really, its heading this way by all indications. First off, regardless of the fact the Congress is not authorizing a bailout, the Fed keeps issuing more currency anyhow. No restrictions are being placed on the Fed or the Treasury in any real terms.

EVERYBODY is securing their banks through further guarantees on the antional level to private banks and investors, trying to stay afloat in some kind of global trade system. If it fractures out so bad no currency is interconvertible through a reserve currency, there is no meaning to these currencies beyond their local markets. No order to that situation at all of course. That really has never happenned before globally, because in all previous crises of this type, Gold was accepted as a standard between currencies. No longer is this true, and in fact nobody knows relly how much REAL gold anyone else has.

The House of Cards of all currencies is pinned to the dollar, if the dollar tanks, everybody tanks. It becomes quite impossible to value anything, and certainly trade thru electronic markets becomes impossibly chaotic.

Money really is about POWER, through the title and ownership of land. Has been so since the Reformation in this incarnation. Titales to land in the US were given by the crown to certain families, and then the monetary system used to identify ownership was dropped on after that. Nobody REALY "owns" land, you only get a piece of it if you can pay a tithe to whoever will protect your ownership of said property. That power has long been held through the title system of property, and that is why the government is beholden to the bankers. Its a very bad system, it encourages greed and cetralization of wealth, its anti-egalitarian and against all American principles, but it was accepted anyhow because gold did buy power at one time. No more. It no longer really represents wealth well. So now it devolves back to its origins int he power of the army to take as they need, be it by theft or piracy, whatever.

The only time you don;t have to pay taxes is if YOU run the bank, YOU run the army. Otherwise, you are NEVER really 'free". Freedom is and always has been an ILLUSION. A DREAM.

When George is declared Dictator for Life, maybe this will become clear to people here.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby virgincrude » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 10:08:28

Reverse Engineer wrote:The House of Cards of all currencies is pinned to the dollar, if the dollar tanks, everybody tanks.

Wrong. Many national currencies world-wide are not ‘linked’ nor ‘pinned’ nor ‘pegged’ to the dollar , Japan is one of the few non-oil rich countries which is still pegged to the dollar.

If the dollar tanks it does not automatically mean everybody else’s currency will tank. It means every bodies dollars tank. THAT’S what’s spooking Bush&Co, and everybody else up to their eyeballs in frankly useless dollars.

Since Nixon de-linked the dollar from the gold standard, it has become linked (unofficially) instead to the barrell of oil. Instead of a dollar being worth a fraction of an ounce, it is worth a fraction of a barrel.

Daily Reckoning
Gold-linked currency? There aren’t any more of those. So why not make one? Today, there are discussions about depegging regional currencies like the United Arab Emirates’ dirham from the unreliable dollar, and perhaps repegging to a currency basket. But is a currency basket, of many fiat currencies, much better than a single fiat currency? "Some [OPEC members] said producing countries should designate a single hard currency aside from the U.S. dollar ... to form the basis of our oil trade," Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said recently.

Ah, there’s the rub. There are no hard currencies. Only varying degrees of softness. No central bank today wants its currency to rise further against the dollar. During the 1970s, all the fiat currencies in the world got dragged down with the dollar, because of the trade implications of allowing the dollar to fall too far against their currencies. The pound, deutschemark and yen were no escape. Inflation roared throughout the world.
virgincrude
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Denny » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 20:10:23

If the U.S.A. ever comes to having a "president for life" couldn't they find somebody better than Bush? Maybe someone with credibility and charisma?

It like John Cleese wrote in his funny letter, Queen Elizabeth has more on the ball than Bush does.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 20:16:58

You strain under the yoke of the dictator you have, not the one you want, to paraphrase Rumsfeld. :cry:

Guess we'll find out if the neocons drafted all this F-U democracy scrip for yuks pretty soon.

That letter wasn't authored by Cleese, it was a gag email that took root. Snopes has the story. Still funny stuff.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 22:11:50

One of the (many) problems I have with this "catastrophe:" Way too many people in business and the government ran amuck in the economic arena, the entire time telling John Q. Public that everything was great, wonderful, terrific-fully funded, backed and guaranteed.
They lied.
NOW we're supposed to believe that they know exactly how many billions of dollars would fix everything and make everything perfect again?
I don't think so.
I would like to see a great many arrests that end up in extremely long prison terms.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby pana_burda » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 22:19:38

Does 911 equals 777.7 falldown?

stock market crash another terrorist attack?

"Martial Law" already?

"...... as long as I am the dictator"

NWO/gwb
pana_burda
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: In freefall speed right down to the claws of the devil

Unread postby charliebrownout » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 14:19:57

Ferretlover wrote:One of the (many) problems I have with this "catastrophe:" Way too many people in business and the government ran amuck in the economic arena, the entire time telling John Q. Public that everything was great, wonderful, terrific-fully funded, backed and guaranteed.
They lied.
NOW we're supposed to believe that they know exactly how many billions of dollars would fix everything and make everything perfect again?
I don't think so.
I would like to see a great many arrests that end up in extremely long prison terms.

Amen to that.
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pops » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 17:08:57

Boy I'm getting tired of these threads.

This (the current economic climate) could be a real downer but in the 70s things were much worse and in the 80's S&L thing things were much worse and Reagan's military buildup hangover is still with us.

The catastrophic emergency for the US is Peak Oil.

Doesn't anyone get that?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 17:56:44

Pops wrote:Boy I'm getting tired of these threads.

I respect/applaud your cautionary streak, Pops. I'm not jumping to conclusions about the intent behind this statement, either; but come on - the bills and signing statements with the neocons' names on them couldn't me more insane, and I will distrust their motives to the end. You don't draft up stuff like this as a lark, or as a gift of foresight for future administrations. It's reallllly alarming, if you ask me.

This (the current economic climate) could be a real downer but in the 70s things were much worse and in the 80's S&L thing things were much worse and Reagan's military buildup hangover is still with us.

You're not paying heed to commentators who say it will surpass their effects, and then some. $700 trillion in derivatives worldwide is just insane - 1% of that could come home to roost in the US and it would still just utterly knock markets on their ass.

The catastrophic emergency for the US is Peak Oil.

Doesn't anyone get that?

It's more like it's the cherry on top of the sundae. Some, like rocc, or Ilargi at Automatic Earth, figure the whole thing to be planned - a worldwide Depression to stave consumption of resources. Who knows, but this credit contraction has the potential to save a lot more oil consumption than asking people to keep their tires inflated.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 18:30:44

Pops wrote:The catastrophic emergency for the US is Peak Oil. Doesn't anyone get that?

Yes, Pops, I do. IMHO, that is why all these other not-quite-TEOTW situations are so concerning. No matter what is happening in the political and economic arenas, they are happening on top of the energy consumption issue.
I am concerned that the tight money situation will slow or kill the implementation(sp?) of alternative resources that would allow the population to keep functioning in some basic form.
Keep posting, Pops. You know that I think all points of view are necessary to get a clearer perspective on what is happening in our world. :) It is NOT a good thing for any of us to get locked into a narrow point of view when trying to understand everything that is happening and its implications for the future.

As for some of the rest of you: CAUTION: Attack ideas, NOT fellow posters.-FL
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 19:31:56

TheDude wrote:I respect/applaud your cautionary streak, Pops. I'm not jumping to conclusions about the intent behind this statement, either; but come on...

Thanks Dude.

But we need to figure out what we are each about.

My stance as far as the US is concerned is to respect the elective Office - whatever the level of representation and let the system flush out the crap.

No argument there is much crap but I'd argue that most of us have a finger in the crap - if not a dipper.

The thing that gets my goat is the They Are Gonna Get Us Crap espoused around here and the only alternative offered is They Are Gonna Get Us.

Nothing about Me doing something for us.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 20:20:20

Pops wrote:But we need to figure out what we are each about.

The thing that gets my goat is the They Are Gonna Get Us Crap espoused around here and the only alternative offered is They Are Gonna Get Us.

Nothing about Me doing something for us.

I certainly agree with your opinion on this mess. It's easy to give up our personal power and responsibility and blame them. Most of us share some blame for the mess we're in. We all loved it while we were apparently getting something for nothing. Now reality is bringing balance back into our lives and we want the easy way out. We want to find someone to blame and light the match for their funeral pyre. That way will only lead to further degradation and destruction.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion