Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

TREASURY HOLDS PRIVATE CONFERENCE CALL !!!!!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

TREASURY HOLDS PRIVATE CONFERENCE CALL !!!!!

Unread postby Roccland » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 21:51:03

BULLSHIT!!!!

Since when do private groups (BANKERS) get a private audience with the Treasury!!! link
This is interesting. ..there was a conference call for insiders
regarding the TARP bailout...
link
link

Various readers wrote us, and it was confirmed by a detailed report on the call at DealBreaker, that the Treasury Department held a conference call this evening for analysts on the bailout bill. A memo was evidently sent to SIFMA members; others may have been contacted by other means. But the report I got from one person who was on the call was the the questions came from financial services industry members. In other words, this was most assuredly not intended to be a call open to the public at large. If anyone from the media or other member of the great unwashed was listening in, it was by accident.

This is simply scandalous. To have a group of interested parties get a privileged briefing by government officials on a matter of keen public interest flies in the face of what a democracy is supposed to be about. The proper method would either be a published FAQ on the Treasury website or a briefing with the media included. But why should I be surprised? Favoritism has been a staple of the Bush Administration.

There is a live blogging recap at DealBreaker. Someone who was on the call is going over his notes and other recaps on the Web and sending me his version, which I hope will add some color. Check back for that update.
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: TREASURY HOLDS PRIVATE CONFERENCE CALL !!!!!

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 22:24:10

This was on Ticker Forum earlier today. They had people in the conference call reporting minutes (as best they could).

It sounded like a cheer leading session. Everyone on the call deputized to sell the bailout, doesn't understand public opposition, etc etc. The participants asked some damnably retarded questions.

I should be running my CoC after what they said, me thinks.

edit: I would like to trumpet that the Texans seem to be holding the line on this (both senators voted against the Fannie/Freddie bailout too). My US congressman (and many more, including Lloyd Dogget, a Democrat) voted against the bailout.

Note the Houston businessman on the conference call who voiced his concern about when all this living beyond our means is going to stop and that the bailout is foolishness. The Wichita Falls, TX CoC head also voiced his concern for the bailout, to my understanding.

People raised Texian are Libertarian here, to the bone. We can handle the hard times ahead, we've seen them before. Let's get things right first, then we'll talk. I have never been prouder of my republican (gasp!) Rep Mike McCaul than yesterday. He has my vote for life.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby seahorse » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 22:45:59

I happen to know that last week the treasury invited a team from Wal-Mart to a private conference with Paulson to discuss the bailout.
seahorse
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 23:02:17

We're bailing out Walmart next?
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 23:04:51

Did they say anything about me?
All the secrecy has gotta make people paranoid. Then again, the sheeple are fully involved with Monday Night Football this time of year.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 30 Sep 2008, 23:30:04

Surveying what is happening across the landscape, I would predict this bill to pass. Just sayin'....
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 00:04:19

smallpoxgirl wrote:We're bailing out Walmart next?

Everyone is invited SPG.

We're inviting everyone to this bailout. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 03:57:37

Jotapay wrote:This was on Ticker Forum earlier today. They had people in the conference call reporting minutes (as best they could).

It sounded like a cheer leading session. Everyone on the call deputized to sell the bailout, doesn't understand public opposition, etc etc. The participants asked some damnably retarded questions.

I should be running my CoC after what they said, me thinks.

edit: I would like to trumpet that the Texans seem to be holding the line on this (both senators voted against the Fannie/Freddie bailout too). My US congressman (and many more, including Lloyd Dogget, a Democrat) voted against the bailout.

Note the Houston businessman on the conference call who voiced his concern about when all this living beyond our means is going to stop and that the bailout is foolishness. The Wichita Falls, TX CoC head also voiced his concern for the bailout, to my understanding.

People raised Texian are Libertarian here, to the bone. We can handle the hard times ahead, we've seen them before. Let's get things right first, then we'll talk. I have never been prouder of my republican (gasp!) Rep Mike McCaul than yesterday. He has my vote for life.

Isn't Bush a libertarian, free markteering, swashbuckling, ding, dang, doggone, watchamacallit texian texan?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 09:20:49

americandream wrote:Isn't Bush a libertarian, free markteering, swashbuckling, ding, dang, doggone, watchamacallit texian texan?

You may not understand what I'm about to say, but he was a great Texas governor. He is the worst president in living memory, however. And I have never voted for him (although looking back I like several things he did as governor).
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 09:30:29

americandream wrote:Isn't Bush a libertarian, free markteering, swashbuckling, ding, dang, doggone, watchamacallit texian texan?

NO, NO, NO! Bush is NOT a Texan!! :-x
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Minvaren » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 09:49:06

Jotapay wrote:

You may not understand what I'm about to say, but he was a great Texas governor. He is the worst president in living memory, however. And I have never voted for him (although looking back I like several things he did as governor).

He did things as Governor? The main times I recall him being in the news was when an execution was coming up...
Minvaren
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 09:57:06

Minvaren wrote:He did things as Governor? The main times I recall him being in the news was when an execution was coming up...

Good governors in Texas do next to nothing. The primary goal for politicians here in Texas is to stay out of our way. Just step aside and let us do our thing, unless it's really, really important. People can handle things well enough on our own here, and the government usually just screws up whatever it gets involved in.

Bush did give us concealed carry. Ann Richards (bless her heart) blocked CHL legislation for years. We now have concealed carry in many ways thanks to ol' GW.

Other than that, I can't remember Bush doing a damned thing, which is perfect for a Texas governor. It sounds crazy but it's pretty true. Just let us do our work and accomplish things, don't mess it up please.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Fed to hold conference at Jekyll Island

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 09:07:21

Just days after the Federal Reserve will announce it has launched QE2, the Fed will hold a major conference at Jekyll Island, celebrating the secret meeting held there 100 years ago that resulted in the creation of the Fed.

The island isin the Atlantic off the coast of Georgia.

In November 1910, Senator Nelson W. Aldrich and Assistant Secretary of the Treasuryt A.P. Andrews, and other top financiers, arrived at the Jekyll Island Club to discuss monetary policy and the banking system. The secret meetings led to the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Just to rub your nose in it.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... aaack.html
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Fed to hold conference at Jekyll Island

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 03 Nov 2010, 09:49:57

Wow, you couldn't make this stuff up.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance