Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Money markets remain paralyzed...

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Money markets remain paralyzed...

Unread postby Roccland » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 07:49:42

Link

Central banks globally have unleashed billions of dollars into money markets hoping to loosen the paralysis. The Bank of Japan and the Reserve Bank of Australia kept the money flowing on Wednesday, injecting extra funds into their markets as banks still had trouble securing cash.

Market players had hoped the start of a new business quarter in October might thaw trading in short-term cash, but instead there were few signs of improvement.

Money markets have frozen up since the bankruptcy of Lehman and nationalisation of other major financial institutions in the United States and Europe has made banks very wary of lending to each other.

Some analysts have said that major central banks may consider cutting interest rates in a coordinated move to help give a boost to investors and limit the economic fallout from the crisis, but a solution to the money market breakdown remained elusive.

"It's not going to solve the core problem, no one is lending to each other. I don't know how to fix that," said Gerrard Katz, head of North Asia currency trading at Standard Chartered in Hong Kong.

"If people can't fund themselves through the money market or swaps, they they have to go out and buy dollars. That's what we've descended into," he said.

IT'S BUNKER TIME!!!!
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Money markets remain paralyzed...

Unread postby ohanian » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 07:52:32

I predict ZIRP
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 07:59:00

Where does the carry trade go, then? Underground? :(

"Bunker"? Like SS-20 proof? Is MAD a viable technique for avoiding a Lost Decade?
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 08:27:54

TheDude wrote:Where does the carry trade go, then? Underground? :(

"Bunker"? Like SS-20 proof? Is MAD a viable technique for avoiding a Lost Decade?

No funds, no carry. I suspect that trading brokerages will soon be feeling the pinch as the funds for retailer leveraging dry up. Here's hoping a few survive.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dunewalker » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 10:37:30

Have the web bot predictions for 10/07/08 been discussed anywhere on po.com? I don't recall seeing any mention. What's up with that, roccland?
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby biofuel13 » Wed 01 Oct 2008, 10:45:48

dunewalker wrote:Have the web bot predictions for 10/07/08 been discussed anywhere on po.com? I don't recall seeing any mention.

Dune--

I haven't seen or heard about the 10/07/08 Web bot predictions yet. I would be interested to find out more....Maybe start us up a new thread?

(sorry for the off topic post)
"With man gone will there be hope for gorilla? With gorilla gone will there be hope for man?" --Ishmael by D. Quinn
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance