Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Passat Bluemotion II. 57.4 mpg US

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

New Passat Bluemotion II. 57.4 mpg US

Unread postby SteinarN » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 14:17:00

Volkswagen has unveiled a new Passat Bluemotion II. Claimed mileage is 57.4 mpg US. This makes possible a range on one tank of fuel of a stunning 1,700 Km or 1,056 miles. It has a new version of the 2.0L 16 valve common rail diesel engine. The Bluemotion version of this motor has decreased torque to 250 Nm and decreased power to 110 hp compared to 340 Nm and 140 hp for the high power version. The reduced power and torque makes it possible to increase the compression ratio of the engine without damaging pressures arising in the sylinder and thus increasing the efficiency of the engine above the efficiency the same engine has in the normal high power version.

link
Last edited by SteinarN on Sat 04 Oct 2008, 06:53:31, edited 2 times in total.
SteinarN
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: New Pasat Bluemotion II. 57.4mpg US

Unread postby Delphis » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 14:37:25

Wow, great post Stein.

I will have to check that out once the $5000-$10000 dealer markup goes bye-bye!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."....Albert Einstein
Delphis
Peat
Peat

Location: Hobbiton, but it's looking more like Mordor by the day...oh! hey Sauron, I didn't see you behind me!

Re: New Passat Bluemotion II. 57.4mpg US

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 14:53:15

The EPA lists the 2009 Jetta with the same diesel engine at 29/40 with the DSG-auto and 31/40 for the manual.

So far, I've not heard anyone claiming 60+ (weighs less than the Passat) with the new Jetta, but, frankly, I haven't been looking all that closely at it. Interesting, though.

***EDIT*** - I see this is the tuned-down version of the Jetta engine. Sorry for not reading this through.
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SteinarN » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 15:07:15

Other characteristics of the Bluemotion models is narrover tires, more panels under the car making it's underside slicker decreasing the drag, higher gears decreasing the engine rpm, a gear change indicator telling when to change gears (telling to gear up very early), slightly decreased ground clearance and no automatic version available.
SteinarN
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Delphis » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 15:11:41

Perhaps it is finally starting to sink in...too bad we can't melt down all the Silverado's, Tahoe, Suburban, F150's, Explorer's and Expedition's and pour them into Bluemotion's...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."....Albert Einstein
Delphis
Peat
Peat

Location: Hobbiton, but it's looking more like Mordor by the day...oh! hey Sauron, I didn't see you behind me!

Unread postby joeltrout » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 15:37:26

Delphis wrote:Perhaps it is finally starting to sink in...too bad we can't melt down all the Silverado's, Tahoe, Suburban, F150's, Explorer's and Expedition's and pour them into Bluemotion's...

You are not taking my Tahoe. :x

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 15:38:10

Delphis wrote:Perhaps it is finally starting to sink in...too bad we can't melt down all the Silverado's, Tahoe, Suburban, F150's, Explorer's and Expedition's and pour them into Bluemotion's...

Pretty much all I see on the road.

Them and Cadie's for the 80+ Gen..... :razz:
vision-master

Unread postby yesplease » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 16:02:15

Ever been to a scrap yard? Most of 'em will get there eventually.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby biofuel13 » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 17:18:42

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD-- Don't ever buy a VW!!

I literally just walked back into my house, back from the VW dealership. I had gone there to get a headlight replaced. On the phone they told me it would take a half hour and cost $35. When I got there they said it would take 3 hours and cost nearly $450!

450 Farking dollars for a headlight?!!??

I looked at the service counter guy right in the eyes and told him to Fark himself....then turned and walked out......

They must be trying to pay off their research and development costs on this new technology by Farking all their existing customers.....
"With man gone will there be hope for gorilla? With gorilla gone will there be hope for man?" --Ishmael by D. Quinn
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 20:06:28

biofuel13 wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD-- Don't ever buy a VW!!

I literally just walked back into my house, back from the VW dealership. I had gone there to get a headlight replaced. On the phone they told me it would take a half hour and cost $35. When I got there they said it would take 3 hours and cost nearly $450!

I looked at the service counter guy right in the eyes and told him to Fark himself....then turned and walked out......

They must be trying to pay off their research and development costs on this new technology by Farking all their existing customers.....

You get raped on service for them imports.......
vision-master

Unread postby VMarcHart » Fri 03 Oct 2008, 20:37:43

SteinarN wrote:Volkswagen has unveiled a new Passat Bluemotion II...
Neat. Thanks!

I imagine how much more mileage it would get without the weigh of the bells and whistles, like we say. For example, 10-CD changer, power windows, power locks, etc, etc.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 00:44:21

I got my first ride in a modern diesel passenger car(a Mercedes) this week via a coworker and wow, they really have come a long way. You'd never know it was a diesel. It wasn't noisy or smokey or anything.

Unfortunately, longterm we've got a problem with diesel (at least petrodiesel) because diesel is what powers trucks. Trucks will compete with passenger cars on the road and in the end the trucks MUST keep running for america to survive. That's why the price of diesel spiked way higher than gasoline. Demand destruction doesn't happen that well with truckers. So unless you're talking about making biodiesel and SVO work in a big way, diesel is not the answer.
mos6507

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 06:26:55

mos6507 wrote:I got my first ride in a modern diesel passenger car(a Mercedes) this week via a coworker and wow, they really have come a long way. You'd never know it was a diesel. It wasn't noisy or smokey or anything.

Unfortunately, longterm we've got a problem with diesel (at least petrodiesel) because diesel is what powers trucks. Trucks will compete with passenger cars on the road and in the end the trucks MUST keep running for america to survive. That's why the price of diesel spiked way higher than gasoline. Demand destruction doesn't happen that well with truckers. So unless you're talking about making biodiesel and SVO work in a big way, diesel is not the answer.

You make a great point. But we can combat that problem with new investments (like trillions of dollars) in a massive freight rail system which is electrified, thus boosting efficiency even greater.

Also, I wonder if there are ways to convert gasoline to diesel. The number of carbons in gasoline ranges from 5 to 12 but for diesel it's an average of 12 with a range of 10-15, approximately. I know there are different molecular structures as well, but it seems possible that it could be more efficient to convert gasoline to diesel. Anyone know about this?
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SteinarN » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 06:48:23

When destilling crude oil only a small fraction is gasoline and a larger fraction is diesel and an even larger fraction is heavier molecules than diesel. To make the current needed amount of gasoline it is necessarry do "crack" the higher molecular weight molecules into smaller as in gasoline. As the available crude oil is getting ever more heavy more cracking is necessarry to produce the same amount of gasoline. So in order to make more diesel it is not necessarry to make gasoline in the first place, just to reconfigure the crackers to crack the heavy crude oil into a bit less light molecules like diesel instead of the very light gasoline molecules.
SteinarN
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 07:16:57

Why did you take it to the dealer?

I change my own headlights all the time and the oil. If I need more done than I take it to the local shop that specialized in imports. It hasn't been to the dealer since the warranty expired.

2002 VW Golf: 265k miles without a problem.

Don't blame the car if it meets your needs.

Blame the person who took it to the dealer. :roll:
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 08:34:43

3aidlillahi wrote:...we can combat that problem with new investments (like trillions of dollars) in a massive freight rail system which is electrified, thus boosting efficiency even greater.
Call this guys. They have loads of money. StrategeryCapital Management LLC

Otherwise you can also combat that problem with a little demand destruction. Food for thought.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: New Passat Bluemotion II. 57.4 mpg US

Unread postby MarkJ » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 09:54:07

Yes, I know the EU mileage rates skew high, but real world is still likely to be in the upper 40s, so sign me up.

More Euro Diesel Hype. The Euro Test Cycle substantially inflates the fuel economy numbers. The Toyota Prius is rated @ 4.3L/100km (54.7 MPG) Combined in the Euro Test cycle.

With 50-Sate Legal U.S. Emissions, this would likely be rated in the low to mid 30s City and low to mid 40s Highway. With our large current regional gas/diesel price differential, a gas powered hybrid would be much cheaper to operate, especially if you did a lot of city driving.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby biofuel13 » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 11:37:12

wisconsin_cur wrote:Why did you take it to the dealer?
:roll:

Before you nominate me for "Upper Class Twit of the Year"-- I did go to several parts stores in town and got the same answer from all of them...Only the dealership carries the kind of headlights my car has.

Oh well.

I just hope that Volkswagon will think about their corporate name with this new Passat. If they truly make the "People's Car" then replacement parts should be inexpensive and easy to install by the owner. Just because a vehicle is technologically advanced does not mean that it has to be too complex for the average J12P to fix.
"With man gone will there be hope for gorilla? With gorilla gone will there be hope for man?" --Ishmael by D. Quinn
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: New Passat Bluemotion II. 57.4 mpg US

Unread postby yesplease » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 11:54:03

MarkJ wrote:More Euro Diesel Hype. The Euro Test Cycle substantially inflates the fuel economy numbers. The Toyota Prius is rated @ 4.3L/100km (54.7 MPG) Combined in the Euro Test cycle.
The Euro test cycle is very city heavy. something like 3/4s of the cycle is simulated city at an average speed of ~12mph, so the Prius would likely benefit quite a bit from that. A conventional car otoh, probably would end up hurting a bit more on the Euro test cycle, so I imagine the difference between U.S. and Euro mileage for this model isn't as big as it is with the Prius.
MarkJ wrote:With 50-Sate Legal U.S. Emissions, this would likely be rated in the low to mid 30s City and low to mid 40s Highway. With our large current regional gas/diesel price differential, a gas powered hybrid would be much cheaper to operate, especially if you did a lot of city driving.
It already does, Euro VI has a lower NOx cap than T2B5 IIRC.
With a common rail diesel engine that uses SCR after-treatment to the meet the 2013 EURO VI emissions standard
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby WatchfulEye » Sat 04 Oct 2008, 12:37:31

That's about standard price for one of the new High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights.

Bulbs are about $50. However, that's only part of the system. The real money is in the electronic ballast that generates the high voltages that the bulb needs (30,000 volts to ignite, and about 80 volts to run). A good quality ballast can cost over $200.

If you've got to replace the ballast, then it's a whole load of dissasembly to get at it.

And, unlike conventional headlights which come in standard sizes, HID lights may be designed specifically for that model of car, meaning that only dealers may be able to identify and supply the appropriate part.
WatchfulEye
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Energy Technology