Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Massachusetts RIP

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Massachusetts RIP

Unread postby Fishman » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 10:06:25

First California, then Massachsetts, those BLUE states are going down fast. Will the savior Obama get in office quick enough to send money their way?
Will Palin supporters change their chant from "drill baby drill" to "let'em burn, let'em burn"?
The adventure continues ....
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 10:19:00

Yes! Front row seats! [smilie=new_popcornsmiley.gif]
Last edited by steam_cannon on Mon 06 Oct 2008, 12:36:35, edited 1 time in total.
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Snowrunner » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 10:59:04

Fishman wrote:First California, then Massachsetts, those BLUE states are going down fast. Will the savior Obama get in office quick enough to send money their way?
Will Palin supporters change their chant from "drill baby drill" to "let'em burn, let'em burn"?

It remains to be seen if this is a blue state only thing. From my observation Reds tend to be very good in sticking their fingers into their airs, close their eyes and sing very loudly "nananananana".

Indeed, it's Popcorn time.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 11:18:47

It's a nice valuation of my financial belief structure that the Liberal bastions of Cali and Mass are going to slam the ground first.

The hilarious part is that there doesn't seem to be any discussion of radically cutting spending. It's like the liberal morons who run those states can't figure out what the problem is:

"Well, we've raised taxes, we've increased spending, there're literally hundreds of hand out programs in operation. Dammit Bob, we've done all we can to make budget!"
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jbrovont » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 14:19:07

I think I finally figured out what the problem is.

Fishman wrote:First California, then Massachsetts, those BLUE states are going down fast. Will the savior Obama get in office quick enough to send money their way?
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby letitburn84 » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 14:48:22

steam_cannon wrote:Yes! Front row seats! [smilie=new_popcornsmiley.gif]

may I join you? :wink:
letitburn84
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Zardoz » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 15:11:31

steam_cannon wrote:Yes! Front row seats!

Ummm... That's a good thing? We'll also be in the front rows out here, and I don't think we're going to like the view.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 17:08:59

It was bound to happen.

This state spends way too much money on dumb, useless projects while creating a tax/regulation environment that is very anti-business.

Governor Deval Patrick (or as I like to call him, Spend-It-All-Deval) has increased the size of the state government, increased payrolls, increased spending, and drained the emergency fund in a time when tax revenues are falling.

The result is, not surprisingly, a huge deficit.

That's what you get when you elect a fringe liberal governor in a state with an 80%+ Democratic legislature.

Governor Romney was unpopular because he cut spending and raised fees. However, during his term, we were able to stash away some money in a rainy day fund...knowing that good times would not last forever. Now, before the crisis has even become fully realized, the new governor has already drained hundreds of millions of dollars out of the account.

What happens when the money runs out and tax revenues are still falling? :evil:
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby steam_cannon » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 00:26:34

Zardoz wrote:
steam_cannon wrote:Yes! Front row seats!

Ummm... That's a good thing? We'll also be in the front rows out
here, and I don't think we're going to like the view.

I was being trying to be funny, but also it's a statement beyond good
or evil. If you think about it, really no matter how hard we hold onto
things eventually the world changes. And if you can be at peace with
that, you will be at peace with yourself as well and maybe even enjoy
some popcorn as the world does what it will.

Also I really like where I'm at. Permaculture is a very big thing here
and there are a lot of people who are open to changing how we
live. So I really like where I'm at and the people, even though our
government is obviously running itself into the ground.

[smilie=new_popcornsmiley.gif]
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cube » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 00:57:49

Snowrunner wrote:...
It remains to be seen if this is a blue state only thing. From my observation Reds tend to be very good in sticking their fingers into their airs, close their eyes and sing very loudly "nananananana".

Indeed, it's Popcorn time.
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
"If there's going to be a civil war I'm going to join the side that promises less taxes." :)
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jbrovont » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:15:38

So... conservative deregulatory monetary policy leads to banks making loans they know are a bad idea because GSEs will buy bad loans, which leads to the bankruptcy of the United States federal government, which leads to the unprecidented sale of US T-bills, totally saturating the market with treasury bonds so that the market for state bonds get's saturated before states can auction their bonds, which leads to states having a cash crunch and causing state governments to go bankrupt, and that's a liberal problem. Huh. No kidding. Way to think it through. :roll:

Cashmere wrote:It's a nice valuation of my financial belief structure that the Liberal bastions of Cali and Mass are going to slam the ground first.

The hilarious part is that there doesn't seem to be any discussion of radically cutting spending. It's like the liberal morons who run those states can't figure out what the problem is:

"Well, we've raised taxes, we've increased spending, there're literally hundreds of hand out programs in operation. Dammit Bob, we've done all we can to make budget!"
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance