Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Technology got us into this so it can't help us get ou

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

"Technology got us into this so it can't help us get ou

Unread postby Narz » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 09:37:50

The logic I see thrown around here often "Technology got us into this mess therefore technology cannot help mitigate the mess" is not sound.

It's like saying Joe talked his way into trouble, he can't talk his way out. If Joe is a good talker & becomes more mindful of how others perceive his words, he probably can. Just as we need to become more mindful about the way we use technology. In the past we mostly only focused on it's short term effects & benefits, that's not going to be good enough henceforth but it's no reason to become a Luddite. Humans can desertify, with permaculture (a philosophy & collection of sustainable practices cataloged from around the world, which most people have heard about thru the Internet) humans can restore desert areas somewhat.

Money can get you into a mess, money may or may not be able to get you out. Being some freakishly strong muscleman may get you into a mess (some jealous guys want to beat you up) but it may also be able to get you out (you beat them up instead). I could go on & on.

This is not the thread to debate whether technology will "save us" and I'm certainly not saying that all technology is good or that technological change is more important than social change (I don't agree). Just correcting a logical fallacy I see thrown around here often.

As I've said dozens of times before, we can no more switch off our innovative natures than we can deevolve into squirrels. So rather than try (in vain) to disown that part of ourselves that wants to improve things (often with our plans backfiring) we should seek to master it as use it for good rather than either evilly or more often simply carelessly.

Just my Image.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: "Technology got us into this so it can't help us ge

Unread postby Roccland » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 09:39:08

Maybe your $3,600,000,000,000,000,000

In silver will save you narz...
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Narz » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 09:40:07

Very insightful comment there Roccman. Thanks for your contribution.
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 09:43:12

Narz wrote:Very insightful comment there Roccman. Thanks for your contribution.

Anytime Narz. People should be careful what they ask for...or inviting vampires into their house.
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Narz » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 09:51:27

Roccland wrote:Anytime Narz. People should be careful what they ask for...or inviting vampires into their house.

Instead of trying to be able cryptic why don't you just speak your mind on the subject at hand.
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 09:52:37

Narz wrote:
Roccland wrote:Anytime Narz. People should be careful what they ask for...or inviting vampires into their house.
Instead of trying to be able cryptic why don't you just speak your mind on the subject at hand.

Nice to see you have joined the sheeple Narz...maybe you will make mod before the internets go down.
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby yesplease » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 10:00:10

It's flawed because technology can't get us into or out of anything. Stating otherwise is anthropomorphization. It's like saying it's not my fault I shot that guy, it's the gun's. It's oil's fault it's depleting, etc... :roll:

It all goes back to use, and that use depends entirely on human be'ans. If we use technology in a negative way, maybe to destroy ourselves, it's our fault and we get what we deserve for using technology in that way. Similarly, if we use it in a positive way, maybe to extend our life span or make ourselves more comfortable, it's still our fault and we get what we deserve for using technology in that way.

Regardless of how we use technology, it's still technology, and it does not have human characteristics.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Narz » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 10:01:25

Roccland wrote:Nice to see you have joined the sheeple Narz...maybe you will make mod before the internets go down.

Whatever that means. Are you afraid to speak your mind or is it that you simply have nothing useful to say on this subject.

If you simply want to BS with me there's always e-mail or private messages. For such a proclaimed hardcore prepper though you sure have a lot of free time.
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 10:03:25

Narz wrote: For such a proclaimed hardcore prepper though you sure have a lot of free time.

When one read the tea leaves correctly 5 years ago (actually 15)...
One now has time to eat lots of popcorn. Want some narz...it's hot and buttery?
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 12:53:25

Roccland wrote:When one read the tea leaves correctly 5 years ago (actually 15)... One now has time to eat lots of popcorn. Want some narz...it's hot and buttery?

I see an "Is Roccland a Troll?" thread coming soon.
mos6507

Unread postby VMarcHart » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 10:37:49

Narz wrote:The logic I see thrown around here often "Technology got us into this mess therefore technology cannot help mitigate the mess" is not sound.

Wasn't I in a very similar conversation just the other day? (Rhetorical, sacarstic, smart-ass question.)

Whereas I'm a technology buff, I'm very bearish about the next piece of technology that will revert man-made GHG, overpopulation, overshooting, deforestation, ocean acidification, soil depletion, economic crisis, etc, just to name a few. That said, there are proven technologies out there to help with all this, ie, the index finger to turn off lights, the feet to walk to places, the bicycle to get to farther places, a vasectomy to slow procreation, live within our means to counter massive debts, etc.
Any takers?
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SuperTico » Thu 30 Oct 2008, 14:43:23

GREED got us into this and there is no way out.
People throughout the industrial" revelucion" acted like a buncha little whores trying to latch on to the teet of the corporate growing ( and still growing) giants instead of being happy living as a hard working entrepreneur of farmer-self sufficent human.
Give a junk addicted whore some cash and he-she will follow you to any craphole on the planet to avoid " hardship". Detroit, Gary Indiana, Sandusky, Cleveland, Chit-cago,Buffalo, Philly.

Now that all the sheeple are herded up their demise awaits them.
I guess Hank Jr ( another dumbazz repugnicant) had one thing right. " A country boy can survive"
I refer NOT to the clowns living on the fifth floor of a Dallas condo who wear $300 boots and Stetsons.

A true sign of a moron is someone with a four wheel drive diesel dually pickup with no trailer hitches or tool boxes.
SuperTico
Peat
Peat

Unread postby NoahsDove » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 21:26:19

I'm sure people will try all sorts of creative ideas as this world begins to run short. "Desperate times calls for desperate measures." Fact is, Nazi Germany became very creative near the end of WWII as they began to run out of oil, even trying to squeeze oil out of coal. (Yes, turning coal into oil was developed by the Nazis, as well as UFO's.)

Psychologist would call this phase, a state of denial.
NoahsDove
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TheDude » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 21:43:21

NoahsDove wrote:(Yes, turning coal into oil was developed by the Nazis, as well as UFO's.)

Incorrect. The bit about converting coal into oil, that is; I assume your latter statement indicates you are privy to special knowledge which others can discuss with you.

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby NoahsDove » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 00:00:45

well, I stand corrected. it was just a joke anyway.
NoahsDove
Peat
Peat

Return to Energy Technology