Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

EU Death Throes Begin in Earnest . . .

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

EU Death Throes Begin in Earnest . . .

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 01:04:58

Anybody know how to say "Oh Sh-t" in Polish and French?

Some German Nationalist wrote:However, Finance Minister Peer Steinbrueck made clear that Germany does not envision making its move as part of a U.S.-style bailout plan for all of Europe. He said he and Chancellor Angela Merkel agree that the German government must remain the sole "master of the process."

[align=center]
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!!
[/align]

German Sleeping Giant Waking Up
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: EU Death Throes Begin in Earnest . . .

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 01:13:40

Considering that it is the largest member I can't really fault Germany for trying to get a bit of say in there. They did end up being under represented in most EU positions, giving smaller countries like Poland much more power than they would otherwise have.

And quite frankly, the banking system in Europe isn't as harmonized as one might think, so having one "large pot" where every country could just draw from as they please would be bad, most likely banks in the more stable countries would find themselves without any cover once the need arises because more "adventurous" places (UK, Spain come to mind) would have drained the thing.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 01:22:11

Snowrunner wrote:Considering that it is the largest member I can't really fault Germany for trying to get a bit of say in there.

"Master of the Process" /= "bit of say"
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:08:13

Cashmere wrote:Anybody know how to say "Oh Sh-t" in Polish and French?

In Polish it would read "o, gowno".

NB.
In Poland itself banking sector is pretty strong and I do not observe any troubles by now.

None of major banks is at risk by now, albeit one of them may have to be sold if its major shareholder (Italian Unicredito) goes bust.

At the moment there is no sense of urgency here.

I think, all of that is because Western banks had better business connections and outcompeted Polish ones in capturing of valuable American mortgage related assets. :-D

So much from Polish front.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Micki » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:13:32

Funny. If Fed keeps printing and EU can't, we'll get reversed scenarios compared to last time.
USA gets a Weimar and Europe a great depression.
scheise!

One has to wonder thought how Merkel could guarantee all bank savings if they can't print unlimited amounts.
Last edited by Micki on Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Micki

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:15:37

Cashmere wrote:
Snowrunner wrote:Considering that it is the largest member I can't really fault Germany for trying to get a bit of say in there.

Ever considered that the translation may be b0rked?
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:18:14

Snowrunner wrote:
Cashmere wrote:

Ever considered that the translation may be b0rked?

Yes. You're probably right. Somebody probably mis-translated "We want a bit of say," with "We want to be Master of the Process."

And, of course, knowing the Germans, they've only ever wanted a 'bit of say', and there's never been any mention of, ehem, being Masters of anything.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:18:15

Micki wrote:One has to wonder thought how Merkel could guarantee all bank savings if they can't print unlimited amounts.

Who said, they can't?

Of course they can.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:20:14

Micki wrote:One has to wonder thought how Merkel could guarantee all bank savings if they can't print unlimited amounts.

The expectation is that not all of the banks will fail.

It's a gamble in a way. Popcorn time all around.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Micki » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:20:34

EnergyUnlimited wrote:

Who said, they can't?

Of course they can.

Technically yes.
It was a reflection of snowrunners comments;
And quite frankly, the banking system in Europe isn't as harmonized as one might think, so having one "large pot" where every country could just draw from as they please would be bad, most likely banks in the more stable countries would find themselves without any cover once the need arises because more "adventurous" places (UK, Spain come to mind) would have drained the thing.

It actually highlights the conflicting interests of the different member nations.
Micki

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:31:39

Cashmere wrote:Yes. You're probably right. Somebody probably mis-translated "We want a bit of say," with "We want to be Master of the Process."

And, of course, knowing the Germans, they've only ever wanted a 'bit of say', and there's never been any mention of, ehem, being Masters of anything.

Here's the thing, I've read quite a few German newspapers and in none of them was anything even remotely said or quoted to that extend.

The closest it came was a statement by Steinbrueck to the effect that Germany wasn't going to put money into a pot that they don't have any control over, and why should they?

I know you want to see the EU burning but you're going after something that doesn't exist outside your wet dream.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:34:50

Micki wrote:It was a reflection of snowrunners comments;

It actually highlights the conflicting interests of the different member nations.

Actually that's why the "everybody clean their own house" is the better approach, to come to a consensus that is workable for every member nation is simply not quite feasable as the house in on fire.

As a guy in Der Spiegel put it so nicely:

"If your city is on fire you don't start reorganizing the fire department".

It'll be interesting to watch, after Irleland, Greece and Germany Austria and and France are poised to offer their own protection in the short order and the opposition in the HoC is already trying to pressure the Government in the UK to do the same thing, apparently Brown is a bit irritated as he was under the impression that Germany wouldn't be doing this.

Ah.... Nothing is more entertaining than people on fire running around screaming loudly.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:39:40

Snowrunner wrote:Here's the thing, I've read quite a few German newspapers and in none of them was anything even remotely said or quoted to that extend. The closest it came was a statement by Steinbrueck to the effect that Germany wasn't going to put money into a pot that they don't have any control over, and why should they? I know you want to see the EU burning but you're going after something that doesn't exist outside your wet dream.

Tut tut, don't bust a gut.

I don't want to see the EU burning, but I will get some Schadenfreude out of it if it does.

How do you translate Schadenfreude into German? :twisted:

It's real simple, Snow runner.

The AP article has the expression, "Master of the Process" in QUOTES.

So your position is that the AP has fabricated the expression and has, after the fabrication, placed it in quotes to make it appear to be a direct translation rather than the AP's own choice of words.

Is that your position?

Yawn.

People like you are why I make killer money.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:44:36

Cashmere wrote:
Snowrunner wrote:Here's the thing, I've read quite a few German newspapers and in none of them was anything even remotely said or quoted to that extend. The closest it came was a statement by Steinbrueck to the effect that Germany wasn't going to put money into a pot that they don't have any control over, and why should they? I know you want to see the EU burning but you're going after something that doesn't exist outside your wet dream.

Tut tut, don't bust a gut.

I don't want to see the EU burning, but I will get some Schadenfreude out of it if it does.

Why's that?

How do you translate Schadenfreude into German? :twisted:
Maybe if you had a "living language" you'd come up with your own word for it :P

It's real simple, Snow runner.

The AP article has the expression, "Master of the Process" in QUOTES.

So your position is that the AP has fabricated the expression and has, after the fabrication, placed it in quotes to make it appear to be a direct translation rather than the AP's own choice of words.

Is that your position?

No, my position is that I cannot find the original German phrasing and as we can be pretty certain that a German politician talking to a German radio station is not going to be speaking english at best it's a direct translation.

I've done translations, I have made mistakes too, be it because I was in a hurry or because my language skills weren't up to it.

My mother tongue is German and I can tell you that a lot also relies on how things are being structured in the sentence. Nobody would have used "Master" (Meister) in German, because that translated back would be:

"Wir wollen die Meister des Prozesses sein."

He could have said:

"Wir wollen kontrolle ueber den Prozess haben"

which would be actual German and not Engrish.

Yawn.

People like you are why I make killer money.

Not with your language skills, that's pretty clear.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:47:13

Snowrunner wrote:Here's the thing, I've read quite a few German newspapers and in none of them was anything even remotely said or quoted to that extend.

Wait a second! Wait a second!

You're German!

Aaaahahhhahahahahahahahah.

Brilliant.

A German trying to downplay Germany's obvious move out of the EU and indication to it's "friends" in the EU that they are no longer useful.

Wonderful.

Look man, I'm not going to appease you here - Germany will be a permanent threat to its neighbors as long as Germans live there.

It's been what? 60 years?

My God, the Germans must be simply chomping at the bit to invade somebody. This will be the perfect cover.

Remilitarization is imminent.

Aggression is imminent.

These people can't even go to a soccer match without trying to kill each other.

Nationalism in the U.S. is fat stupid people waving the flag and chanting "U S A, U S A." It's a good thing there're only 3 letters - more than that and 25% of the population would have a hard time keeping up with the chant. Nationalism in the U.S. is based mostly on ignorance of history and a complete lack of worldliness.

Nationalism in Germany, on the other hand, is based on genetics, which is infinitely more frightening.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:53:30

Cashmere wrote:Wait a second! Wait a second!

You're German!

Aaaahahhhahahahahahahahah.

Brilliant.

A German trying to downplay Germany's obvious move out of the EU and indication to it's "friends" in the EU that they are no longer useful.

Wonderful.

What? You didn't hear it in my accenet that I have a European passport? Geez Cube.

Look man, I'm not going to appease you here - Germany will be a permanent threat to its neighbors as long as Germans live there.

It's been what? 60 years?

My God, the Germans must be simply chomping at the bit to invade somebody. This will be the perfect cover.

Why would Germany need to invade anybody? You Americans have managed well enough to alienate the rest that most people look at Germany as the shining light in a very dark age.

Remilitarization is imminent.

Umm, Dude. You should get out of the cave more.

Aggression is imminent.

These people can't even go to a soccer match without trying to kill each other.

That's the Brits actually, you know, your friend and ally on that those islands in the North Western part of Europe, the ones who had their own little internal strive with the IRA for a few decades.

U2 even made a song about it!

Nationalism in the U.S. is fat stupid people waving the flag and chanting "U S A, U S A." It's a good thing there're only 3 letters - more than that and 25% of the population would have a hard time keeping up with the chant. Nationalism in the U.S. is based mostly on ignorance of history and a complete lack of worldliness.

Nationalism in Germany, on the other hand, is based on genetics, which is infinitely more frightening.

Yeah, that cave thing again.... It's really bad. Here, try to educate yourself a bit.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby oswald622 » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 02:57:05

The European Commission's top economists warned the politicians in the 1990s that the euro might not survive a crisis, at least in its current form. There is no EU treasury or debt union to back it up. The one-size-fits-all regime of interest rates caters badly to the different needs of Club Med and the German bloc.

The euro fathers did not dispute this. But they saw EMU as an instrument to force the pace of political union. They welcomed the idea of a "beneficial crisis". As ex-Commission chief Romano Prodi remarked, it would allow Brussels to break taboos and accelerate the move to a full-fledged EU economic government.

As events now unfold with vertiginous speed, we may find that it destroys the European Union instead.

So much for tirades against American greed

I have an alternate hypothesis to the title of the thread and to the second quotation in bold type.

As the individual nations try to sort out the mess by themselves, they will become overwhelmed. It will then become clear why international cooperation is of utmost importance. Sarkozy and Brown will be vindicated in their calls to 'literally rebuild the international financial system', and the EU will expand its scope and power. The current EU will prove to be like the Articles of Confederation - too weak and decentralized to be effective - and so it will reincarnate in a much strengthened form.
oswald622
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 03:01:58

You Americans have managed well enough to alienate the rest that most people look at Germany as the shining light in a very dark age.

AAhaahahahaaahahahaha!

Mien Fuhrer! We are ze shinging Light Mein Fuhrer!! Mein Fuhrer, we are ze Light!

Thanks for the laugh Mr. Shining Light.
Last edited by Cashmere on Tue 07 Oct 2008, 03:03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 03:02:38

oswald622 wrote:As the individual nations try to sort out the mess by themselves, they will become overwhelmed. It will then become clear why international cooperation is of utmost importance. Sarkozy and Brown will be vindicated in their calls to 'literally rebuild the international financial system', and the EU will expand its scope and power. The current EU will prove to be like the Articles of Confederation - too weak and decentralized to be effective - and so it will reincarnate in a much strengthened form.

MMhhh.. Shock Doctrine? The way to get the Contract of Lisboa[*] ratified after all?

That's an intriguing line of thinking, there may just be something to it.

[*] Link added for Cashmere's benefit so that he understands what I am referring to.
Last edited by Snowrunner on Tue 07 Oct 2008, 03:03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 03:03:47

Cashmere wrote:Nationalism in Germany, on the other hand, is based on genetics, which is infinitely more frightening.

Wait a minute! I thought it was the Zionists, today's target is hidden Nazis practicing Eugenics? Can you pick a target and stick with it? You spray out bullets like an AK-47 with a stuck trigger. Hey, maybe I'll hit SOMETHING!

Sorry, the Eugenics movement in Germany has NOT done well. Just look at the results in the Olympics. The Ruskies ALSO have been on the decline there. The last two left standing in the Eugenics battle are the US and the Chinese. Go Michael Phelps! LOL. You gotta have a decent size population to play the eugenics game effectively, and the Germans lost that one in WWII. There aren't enough Aryans left there to form up a decent size division anymore. LOL. All the ones with any money left for Argentina and the US long ago.

The Germans are landlocked and they are toast. If they try to go militaristic here, Berlin and Munich will be the first cities vaporized with thermonuclear weapons.

Pick your target, shoot accurately. Spraying bullets all over the place is just a waste of good ammo.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance