Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is the Financial Crisis Ending?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Is the Financial Crisis Ending?

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:38:24

My gut feeling is that we've seen the worst of it.

The government and Fed seem to have an endless array of "tools" they can use. They'll just keep using them until the problem is neutralized. I had no idea they were this powerful.

Probably living standards for average Americans will continue to fall for a while, but the rich class is completely intact, and they're what the whole game is about.

Soon enough the markets will realize that oil and other commodities are much cheaper now, and greed will set in again to make hay out of them.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Re: Is the Financial Crisis Ending?

Unread postby Roccland » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:44:37

The USD still needs to crash.

6 billion still need to starve.

Microchips for the remaining "prisoners" (thanks McCain)...need implanted.

Gas needs to go away.

Nope - a lot of play left in this crash.

47 story buildings just don't drop out of the sky for a mere 35% drop in the dow.
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Arsenal » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:44:49

I hope you're right. I must have eaten something that doesn't agree with me because my gut is saying this is just the beginning.

This might hold things together until after the elections but before the New Year I think the other shoe will drop.

Just my 2 cents.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:47:23

Roccland wrote:The USD still needs to crash. 6 billion still need to starve. Microchips for the remaining "prisoners" (thanks McCain)...need implanted. Gas needs to go away. Nope - a lot of play left in this crash. 47 story buildings just don't drop out of the sky for a mere 35% drop in the dow.

I agree with most of what you say. What I'm saying is that THIS may not be it. Not yet. The System still has enormous power to prop itself up. It has many more arrows in its quiver, and it will use them.

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Madpaddy » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:49:23

I don't know Heineken but you could be right.

Certainly, the elite will survive and probably profit from this whole mess. The game and the rules are all rigged in their favour and when it goes wrong they just change the rules again. The system is engineered to transfer money from poor/middle income earners to the top tier. There will be outliers on both sides, those who get lucky or are exceptionally talented and can rise to the top tier or those in the top tier who f.xk up.

The next weeks will tell an awful lot. If the markets have regained this weeks losses by the end of the month, I think the crisis is over.
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:52:27

Heineken wrote:
Roccland wrote:The USD still needs to crash. 6 billion still need to starve. Microchips for the remaining "prisoners" (thanks McCain)...need implanted. Gas needs to go away. Nope - a lot of play left in this crash. 47 story buildings just don't drop out of the sky for a mere 35% drop in the dow.
I agree with most of what you say. What I'm saying is that THIS may not be it. Not yet. The System still has enormous power to prop itself up. It has many more arrows in its quiver, and it will use them.

Tough call. Very tough. I'm inclined to side with Heine for the moment, but events can run out from under "control" at any time.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Roccland » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:53:10

Heineken wrote:

i am hearing that leh auction is tomorrow...not today

monday bank holiday??
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mgibbons19 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:54:59

Wasn't it adam smith himself who said "the markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."
At any rate, how these things go down is beyond our predictability. Just because we see what we think is the larger historical movement, doesn't mean we will be able to call it on the spot. We could be right over 50 yrs time, and be way wrong today. I agree with you Heineken that this may or may not be it.
mgibbons19
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 09:57:20

Just a thought, but with the gas prices coming down because of the oil prices coming down, won't everyone running out to top off their tanks cause the gas to pretty much go away?
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Gebari » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:10:48

I don't think so, have you seen the TED spread? It's at a new high today, over 4. It's never been this high before, which indicates the credit markets are not loosening but continuing to seize up ever tighter. Government debt continues to rise as well, with consequences later.

Perhaps it is the end of the beginning. Even if lending markets ease and the immediate crisis ends, things will never be the same ever again - don't expect business as usual for a long time, and maybe never if oil comes back into the picture. Things have changed big time with all the actions taken, and there's a lot of surprises in store I am sure.
Gebari
Peat
Peat

Unread postby charliebrownout » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:10:49

I have no idea. I'm inclined to doubt it, but I'm not the person to ask. I wasn't a business major, I was a psychology major. Ask me if the current world is crazy or not. I can answer that one.
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:13:15

Madpaddy wrote:The game and the rules are all rigged in their favour and when it goes wrong they just change the rules again. The system is engineered to transfer money from poor/middle income earners to the top tier. . . .

Perfectly put, Mad.
Religious systems work the same way. Discover that the Earth revolves around the Sun instead of the other way around---just rewrite the Bible a little!

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Spanktron9 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:16:13

IndigoMoon wrote:Just a thought, but with the gas prices coming down because of the oil prices coming down, won't everyone running out to top off their tanks cause the gas to pretty much go away?

I don't think so. It may prompt a sigh of relief from J6P that things are returning to "normal". But the financial pain of the past 6 months has not left the under classes with any wiggle room.

Anecdote- I was in court for parking violation the other day, about 15 other people there as well. Court documents said they expect payment on the spot for fines (ranging from 70-500 dollars). I was one of 3 people who could pay their fine. Most of the rest were unable to pay ANYTHING on the spot and had to come up with "payment plans" with the court. The level of financial distress out there is frightening. The vast majority of citizens in my area are woefully underfunded and unaware. We are so screwed.
Who are you going to turn to when all the crazy Peak-oil doomers end up being right?
Spanktron9
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Jotapay » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:16:28

There is absolutely nothing to hold the market up while short term lending is frozen, accounting standards are crap, and asset values (real estate, esp) continue to be way too high relative to people's wages.

I see the DJIA down to 3750-5500 range.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:17:14

I think collapse will come when demand for key commodities exceeds supply, and the environment deteriorates below some critical level that is as yet unclear.

The financial system is an artificial overlay on those REAL systems and can in the meantime be rejiggered, as Madpaddy says.

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RdSnt » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:19:46

As Rocc alluded to, Lehman's CDO redemptions are triggered tomorrow (Friday).
Unless the PTB have rigged it somehow to hide that there there is a significant re-valuation of cdo derivatives tomorrow that will give a clear signal of how much this heavily leveraged paper is worth (zero).

I would expect a bad reaction, particularly since the G7 don't meet till Saturday.
US markets are opening very soft today and I would expect that same sort of pattern as yesterday with a late day collapse.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:23:37

Heineken wrote:My gut feeling is that we've seen the worst of it...

Pretty much. Go with your gut. There's still some shaking out to be done, but the bottom is probably in sight now.

Lately we seem to be ignoring the fact that everything around us is fueled by or made from crude oil. Remember oil? Look up at the top of this page. We've forgotten what this site is all about. We're still burning up something like 87 million barrels of it a day, aren't we? Certainly we all know what that means.

Sure. The financial scam we've been running for a while is unraveling at last. It's about time. The real estate bubble we all knew would burst has popped with a vengeance. The landscape has changed a lot. Many players are gone. We're all poorer. Millions of us have been hurt very badly. More will be.

But the sun is about to rise yet again this morning, at least out here. Has it risen where you live?

The mirrors have been re-arranged, and they'll be re-arranged some more. But the game will go on. Some pundits are already talking about a slowly-developing bull market by the end of the year. We'll see about that.

You're right, Hein. Things are settling down, at last. There are still lots of zingers in store for us, and we'll be adjusting to a lower level of economic activity, but the daily onslaught of horrendous calamities is starting to ease.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:23:56

Also, if it matters, Monday the 13th is Columbus Day. Columbus Day is a federal holiday. Banks, post office and other government offices will be closed.
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Arsenal » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:23:57

Heineken wrote:I think collapse will come when demand for key commodities exceeds supply, and the environment deteriorates below some critical level that is as yet unclear.

The financial system is an artificial overlay on those REAL systems and can in the meantime be rejiggered, as Madpaddy says.

I agree that would be a total collapse of the global markets. The USA on the other hand is teetering on the edge and only needs a few more nudges to fall in. But hey!! The markets are in the green today so crisis adverted. :roll:
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 10:24:20

I flipped a coin... according to my research (coin flip) the crisis is over. I highly recommend putting lots and lots of money into the market :) :) Get rid of that gold too, that is worthless.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance