Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Doomer video game

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Doomer video game

Unread postby shady28 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:02:49

Last edited by shady28 on Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:05:35, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the Kondratieff Winter
shady28
Coal
Coal

Re: Doomer video game

Unread postby Snowrunner » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:05:27

Wouldn't Fallout be the better choice (and as it goes with timing, Fallout 3 is due out this month).
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shady28 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:06:42

Snowrunner wrote:Wouldn't Fallout be the better choice (and as it goes with timing, Fallout 3 is due out this month).

Nah, check out that video at youtube.

It's the peak oil doomer mantra made into a game.
shady28
Coal
Coal

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:08:43

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this one.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:14:25

I just quit playing WoW after three years. My skin is still getting used to sunshine again. I'm gonna take a break from games for a while but I might pick this up when it goes down in price.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Arsenal » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:28:37

Wow.. That game is just getting the youth ready for those resource wars. Scary.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sys1 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 15:06:05

I don't care about the game itself but the guys who made it so know about peak oil that they mention it. What impress me more is that the timeline of events looks very plausible.
Good that a video game trailer could bring some young fellow to this site instead of facebook/mtv...
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 16:29:29

Holy crap. Wanna bet somebody was reading this website doing research for that game? That is everything we've been talking about here for 4 years wrapped into a first person shooter.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mrobert » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 16:47:24

I am actually doing the exact same thing.

My next PC game will be on oil. Except not a 3D shooter, but more of an economical/political/war strategy.

What I am trying to design is a "free-game". There is no fixed outcome. It all depends on how people will play. You might succeed, or fail, or fail quickly, or longer, or so on :)
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Arsenal » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 16:49:53

Sign me up. It sounds like a good twist on the game Risk.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mrobert » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 16:58:04

Sure thing.

I am counting on / hoping on a lot of feedback from users of this site, to turn into a great game. It won't be on "shooting people and stuff in high-detail".

You will have a lot of freedom, and there will be a lot of outcomes, depending on what you decide to do ... or don't. The simulation will be higher level (you won't actually build small bits and things), rather make decisions such as : conquer a country, invest or not in various energy projects, etc.

I am confident that with the great minds here, we can have ourself a pretty real simulation of "what happens ... if we do this?"

:)
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ainan » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 05:47:56

Hahaha, those crazy humans. So these devs learn about peak oil and make a game about it?! The ironic thing is so many kids will play this game and see peak oil as fiction, they will become desensitised to peak oil and its ramifications.
April 2008 Global Population: 6.8 billion
April 2010 Global Population: 7 billion
April 2012 Global Population: 7.2 billion
Ainan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mrobert » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 07:16:37

Ainan wrote:Hahaha, those crazy humans. So these devs learn about peak oil and make a game about it?! The ironic thing is so many kids will play this game and see peak oil as fiction, they will become desensitised to peak oil and its ramifications.

Let's see:
Frontlines: Generic military shooting game, with the background story being oil, etc. The entire game is on blowing things up.

My game: Oil, money, politics, geography, etc ... outlined on a large map which you manage. You learn that reserves are limited, you see how much is being used each day, you need to use money to develop alternatives and current oil fields, etc.

What do you think?
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Snowrunner » Sat 11 Oct 2008, 01:02:13

shady28 wrote:
Snowrunner wrote:Wouldn't Fallout be the better choice (and as it goes with timing, Fallout 3 is due out this month).

Nah, check out that video at youtube.

It's the peak oil doomer mantra made into a game.

But does it have Bunkers?
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sat 11 Oct 2008, 20:32:32

My sons thought the idea was a good one but that it wasn't very fun: "too glitchy". :lol:
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shady28 » Sat 11 Oct 2008, 20:50:25

I didn't think much of the game itself. The last time I played shooter games much was Quake 2. I tend to prefer RTS (real time strategy) if I play a game now.

I just thought the promos and the premise of this game was dead spot on what this site is about. It gives their game designers view of a future resource war.
shady28
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 11:49:50

I've been playing Fallout 3 this weekend and it's a really fun game. For Doomers, it doesn't get much better than this game. It's got the societal aspects of a post-apocalyptic world down perfectly.

This is what I wrote on another forum where I talk to some other gamers that I know:

"Fallout 3 is one of the most fun video games I've ever played. Even more fun than the Half Life series. It is sort of a strategy-FPS, I guess. You can play it totally FPS, but you really need to use a lot of strategy to succeed as encounters are virtually impossible to just blaze through them. It is entirely open ended, so you can do almost anything in the world, and don't have to play in a linear fashion, you can go explore the huge world as much as you like. You can kill people that you may need for quests or to get some item later on, which is kind of cool, it makes you think more. It is a very creepy and disturbing game though. It is definitely not for children. The level of gruesomeness and foul language is a 10+ on the 1-10 scale. But the game allows you to be really creative, and offers you many different paths and styles of play, so I can see myself playing the whole game through several times to see how it changes if I choose different paths or character attributes. The world appears to be enormous and would take days to explore it all, especially the hidden areas that require some problem solving to gain access. I'm playing a sneaky rogue-ish character right now with my Sneak and Lockpick abilities maxed out. Great stuff."
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mrobert » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 12:29:27

I think HellGate London is closer to what we will look like ;)
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sys1 » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 12:55:30

I confirm that Fallout 3 is a great video game, regarding peak oil or not... I'll miss video games when the grid and internet will be halted by permanant blackout.
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mrobert » Mon 03 Nov 2008, 13:15:53

Sys1 wrote:I confirm that Fallout 3 is a great video game, regarding peak oil or not... I'll miss video games when the grid and internet will be halted by permanant blackout.

Take an article on the effects of high gas prices on american consumers, and replace gas prices with electricity prices, and cars and driving with pc's and gaming.

It will look funny :)
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Economics & Finance