Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CNN Government Cheerleader freaking out

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

CNN Government Cheerleader freaking out

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 08:49:46

http://money.cnn.com/

Watch the video news on there right now, not sure who the bald guy is, but every time I have ever seen him before over the last month has been a guy who was always positive and now he is freaking out.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Re: CNN Government Cheerleader freaking out

Unread postby Roy » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 09:06:23

asd
Last edited by Roy on Sun 12 Oct 2008, 09:52:50, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Heineken » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 09:07:38

Despite the blaring headlines, the news media clearly does not know how to cope with this. It doesn't fit their brain engrams or policies.

CBS, NBC, and ABC (the only channels I can get on TV) continue to fill large amounts of news airtime with irrelevant reports. The world is blowing up and they're still wasting huge amounts of airtime on fluff stuff like "Person of the Week."
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 09:13:43

Some hottie on MSNBC just said something that made me and my roomate burst into laughter. Let's see if I can get close to a quote -

"The good news, analysts say is that along with the previous declines, the latest 20% drop over the last few days means that the market is beginning to move toward the bottom".

Really, though - everyone I think pay way too much attention to the stock market. Why not just reset it to zero ? I'd lose a bundle but it's just numbers.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Duende » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:47:44

dinopello wrote:"The good news, analysts say is that along with the previous declines, the latest 20% drop over the last few days means that the market is beginning to move toward the bottom".

That's like being stabbed in the neck and saying "it's really starting to gush now, death is imminent. Let's get this over with already!"

Wow. The level of desperation to pretend nothing's wrong is incredible. DENIAL. And as for Ali Velshi: he's the biggest cheerleader CNN has to offer. So optimistic in the face of doom it is kinda sad.
"Where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?" -Thomas Huxley
Duende
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Arsenal » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:48:17

The only thing and they keep saying on Fox News is that the bright spot is lower gas prices. Over and over again. It sounds like they are trying to get the sheeple's mind off the market.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Madpaddy » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:57:19

Most people are in denial. I work with some large building contractors. Their line is - "it's not too bad we have work until Christmas."

Normally, their books would be filled till July 2009 by now but maybe Santa will drop a large contract for a new port and beach facilities at the North Pole in their laps just in time for Christmas day.
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Madpaddy » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:58:44

Arsenal wrote:The only thing and they keep saying on Fox News is that the bright spot is lower gas prices. Over and over again. It sounds like they are trying to get the sheeple's mind off the market.

A war would also do nicely about now. I would hate to be in Iran.
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 12:06:04

Madpaddy wrote:Most people are in denial. I work with some large building contractors. Their line is - "it's not too bad we have work until Christmas." Normally, their books would be filled till July 2009 by now but maybe Santa will drop a large contract for a new port and beach facilities at the North Pole in their laps just in time for Christmas day.

Close relatives of mine run a larger masonry company in the Northwest. After January they have nothing. Nothing. Family of mine... at risk of losing their homes. My wife and I will be delivering food boxes to them. Maybe paying some of their bills. But not forever.

I mentioned this elsewhere but, the local car dealers are laying off all but essential staff. One part-time lot boy instead of three. Half the sales staff. No sales in two weeks. If nothing sells he loses his house. This will be harsh on many. :cry:
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Heineken » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:14:14

My companion is at risk of losing his job, which was previously considered quite secure. He works in education for the state, which just announced big cutbacks in funding. People are already being laid off in other departments than his.

A huge wave of unemployment will lead to a huge new wave in house foreclosures. Nobody's talking about that.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby emeraldg40 » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 16:50:49

Heineken wrote:My companion is at risk of losing his job, which was previously considered quite secure. He works in education for the state, which just announced big cutbacks in funding. People are already being laid off in other departments than his.
A huge wave of unemployment will lead to a huge new wave in house foreclosures. Nobody's talking about that.

Wow. I've got 3 words for them. Get into healthcare. Anywhere, janitor etc. Man. This is bad.
emeraldg40
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Starvid » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 17:46:05

emeraldg40 wrote:
Heineken wrote:My companion is at risk of losing his job, which was previously considered quite secure. He works in education for the state, which just announced big cutbacks in funding. People are already being laid off in other departments than his.
Wow. I've got 3 words for them. Get into healthcare. Anywhere, janitor etc. Man. This is bad.

Healthcare?

Come on.

Get into the oil industry! Backlogs stretching years and years and years ahead! 8)
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Denny » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 18:59:26

jasonraymondson wrote:CNN Watch the video news on there right now, not sure who the bald guy is, but every time I have ever seen him before over the last month has been a guy who was always positive and now he is freaking out.

I am guessing Ali has a serious chunk of his own money in the market. Maybe he has reached his personal breaking point.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TreebeardsUncle » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 21:02:55

Well, that dip to 7800 this morning could have been the bottom.
The federal government is going to back up some of the banks and guarantee interbank loans, right? That should help shore things up.
g
TreebeardsUncle
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Zardoz » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 21:17:19

Arsenal wrote:The only thing and they keep saying on Fox News is that the bright spot is lower gas prices. Over and over again. It sounds like they are trying to get the sheeple's mind off the market.

Of course. They're the media arm of the Republican party. The financial /economic/market catastrophe is the worst possible thing that could happen, at the worst possible time, to any party that is in power. Fox News wouldn't mention it all if they could get away with it.

The timing is impossibly bad for the GOP, and incredibly good for the Democrats. McCain has no chance now. All further campaigning is a waste of time and money.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Roy » Sat 11 Oct 2008, 07:39:42

Last edited by Roy on Sun 12 Oct 2008, 09:50:27, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Sat 11 Oct 2008, 08:46:50

Zardoz wrote:The timing is impossibly bad for the GOP, and incredibly good for the Democrats. McCain has no chance now.

except for the small but important detail about where Obama was born. it appears that he actually was born in Kenya, then his mother got on a plane & flew back to Hawaii. the birth cert. showing his "birth in Hawaii" has a 2006 date code, i.e. it was produced recently.

i don't know if this is the result of someone's Swift-boating (i'm planning to vote for Obama or Cynthia McKinney) but it appears credible.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance