Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CLEAN OUT YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS NOW

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

CLEAN OUT YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS NOW

Unread postby Heineken » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:57:12

Do not leave large quantities of cash in your bank account (checking and savings). Pull out most of it, leaving just enough to handle your monthly affairs.

In a worst case scenario, which is becoming more likely, you will not be able to get your money out of the bank. Also, FDIC won't be able to cover more than a fraction of depositors.

Do it if you haven't. Do it now, before the banks close for the long, dangerous weekend.

This is the real thing, friends. I'm convinced.

Heine
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Re: CLEAN OUT YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS NOW

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:58:44

Banks aren't required to keep reserves. It's a little different now. They just tell you that they don't have any money, come back next week.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:07:02

I've been doing this for about 2 months. I only keep a nominal amount in the bank, about $250 or so.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:08:31

A wise precaution. A Bank Holiday is not out of the question. Do you have enough on hand to survive a week without ATMs and no one willing to take a check?
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:09:35, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Arsenal » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:08:47

Ditto. I have pulled just about everything out except for the most immediate bills. We will see what Tuesday holds.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:11:04

Me too- pulled it out. My paycheck is direct deposit on Wednesday. I'll be amazed if I get it. :(
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Zardoz » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:18:57

Shannymara wrote:Hmm, I can't log into my regional bank's online system. It just gives "system is not available" message. :shock:

Oh, shit.

Really, Shanny? This just can't be good...
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby startswithearthquakes » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:30:21

What about Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union (RBFCU) in San Antonio?
startswithearthquakes
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:32:44

I guess this is what they mean when they say "October surprise".
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:39:42

Heinie, it surprises me you would advise people to help take down their bank.

Really folks, a couple three weeks of cash is a good idea but to help your bank over the edge don't seem wise.

If the full faith blah blah which backs up the FDIC ain't there then what do you think your paper is worth?

You people need to get a grip. Get out a few bucks to get yourself some things to make it through a few weeks and a little cash to stick in the cookie jar but don't contribute to the problem.

More get killed in the stampede than from what they are running from.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:43:16

Pops wrote:Heinie, it surprises me you would advise people to help take down their bank.
Really folks, a couple three weeks of cash is a good idea but to help your bank over the edge don't seem wise.
If the full faith blah blah which backs up the FDIC ain't there then what do you think your paper is worth?
You people need to get a grip. Get out a few bucks to get yourself some things to make it through a few weeks and a little cash to stick in the cookie jar but don't contribute to the problem.

That's like telling someone to keep your money in the stock market right now. Those who panic first have a better chance to survive.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ritter » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:53:03

What happened to your good feeling, Heineken?

I've got some cash on hand. If it gets to where the banks fail and your money dissipates, it won't matter if you've got thousands stuffed in your mattress. If things get to that point, it will be about survival on a daily basis, not about exchanging cash for goods. Best of luck to all and here's hoping for some more good years.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby green_achers » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:00:27

I think Pops is right, this sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy. But fulfillitude is still fulfillitude. Maybe I'll get out a few more bucks just in case.

Anyone know if "bank holiday" means I won't be able to get to my safe deposit box?
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:01:43

Hogan wrote:The whole economic system is melting down.

Hogwash.

I'm not gonna bet we won't see big troubles but my point is those who've been reading here for years and have not changed their way of life can't expect to save themselves by simply stuffing their mattress.

The only benefit from yelling Fire is to encourage everyone else to trample each other getting to the exit while one stays put.

I'd be very wary of following the suggestions of those in a panic.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Heineken » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:03:59

ritter wrote:What happened to your good feeling, Heineken?

I've got some cash on hand. If it gets to where the banks fail and your money dissipates, it won't matter if you've got thousands stuffed in your mattress. If things get to that point, it will be about survival on a daily basis, not about exchanging cash for goods. Best of luck to all and here's hoping for some more good years.

I carefully explained that my good feeling was flighty, ritter. It comes and goes but overall it's getting dragged down.

I think it's hard for any of us, including most especially me, to grasp how bad this is. Real estate is going to fall MUCH FARTHER and there will be a new wave of foreclosures.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:05:15

green_achers wrote:my safe deposit box

They're so cute when they're young...so innocent...so trusting...
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby HEADER_RACK » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:06:57

Pops wrote:Heinie, it surprises me you would advise people to help take down their bank.

POPS!! You Sadistic Fuuker You!!! and all this time I thought you had no sense of humor.
Nothing is more dangerous than a man with nothing left to lose but has everything left to gain.
HEADER_RACK
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dunewalker » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:08:19

Pops wrote:I'd be very wary of following the suggestions of those in a panic.

I'd be very wary of following the suggestions of those seemingly unable to adjust to today's reality. This is the number one requirement for future survival--ability to adjust to the day's reality and react, quickly. That's how it used to be and is again. Complacency is not the theme of the day, nor of the future.
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance