Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Trichet Calls for Return to Bretton Woods

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Trichet Calls for Return to Bretton Woods

Unread postby pogoliamo » Wed 15 Oct 2008, 01:31:53

Trichet Calls for Return to the `Discipline' of Bretton Woods
Oct. 15 (Bloomberg) -- European Central Bank President Jean- Claude Trichet said officials reshaping the world's financial system should try to return to the ``discipline'' that governed markets in the decades after World War II.
"Perhaps what we need is to go back to the first Bretton Woods, to go back to discipline,'' Trichet said after giving a speech at the Economic Club of New York yesterday. "It's absolutely clear that financial markets need discipline: macroeconomic discipline, monetary discipline, market discipline.''
Brown, who has pushed for a decade to strengthen the hand of international authorities overseeing the financial system, said Oct. 13 in London that ``we must devise new rules for a world of global capital flows'' just as the founders of Bretton Woods ``devised rules for a world of limited capital flows.

link

OMG!!! Now it comes without saying it will be bellow market price. Or otherwise fixing it honestly like M1/ounces of gold owned by The Fed and ECB would imply a rate above 10 000$ per ounce. No that wont be allowed - they will come up with something like 100 or 200.
History is being made...
pogoliamo
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Trichet Calls for Return to Bretton Woods

Unread postby pogoliamo » Thu 16 Oct 2008, 02:42:53

Just few months ago Le Predisdent Sarkozy was saying it was all parfume and roses. Today - Lets Revamp The System!
EU Pushes for Overhaul of Post-World War II Financial System By James G. Neuger and Mark Deen
Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- European Union leaders pressed for an overhaul of the global financial system to prevent a repeat of the credit crunch that sparked the biggest stock-market selloff since the Great Depression.

EU leaders called for a global summit as soon as next month to rewrite the 1944 Bretton Woods accord that paved the way for Europe's post-World War II reconstruction and set up the institutions that oversee the world economy today.

"We had the emerging market crisis, we had the Internet bubble, now we have this massive crisis,'' French President Nicolas Sarkozy told reporters after chairing the first session of an EU summit late yesterday in Brussels. Europe insists on the ``re-foundation of the international financial system.''

link
pogoliamo
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Thu 16 Oct 2008, 02:50:02

What I do not understand is how this would work. We have a lot more players that would need to be at the table presently than at any other time in history. Each with their own set of priorities and interests to protect. What kind of agreement could we come up with now that we cannot just have a few very similar countries get together, make rules and then force everyone else to play by them.

Who would need to be at the table:

Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, India, OPEC, United States. Perhaps some representative of Africa and South America?

that would seem to me to be the short-list.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

"Tricky" Trichet Suggests Return To Bretton Woods

Unread postby mattduke » Thu 16 Oct 2008, 09:45:38

For those who are unfamiliar, the post WWII Bretton Woods agreement was a psuedo gold standard, whereby the dollar was a receipt for gold, and other major currencies were receipts for dollars. Thus we had fixed exchange ratios. The little guy could not cash in for gold. Of course every government ended up printing more receipts than they had reserves, and then France started cashing in all their dollars for gold, and that game was over.

Probably what they are working towards is a transnational reserve currency based on gold like IMF SDR's. Countries would then "peg" to that in a Bretton Woods fashion. That would be a major step forward towards a single transnational fiat reserve currency: the ultimate political power.
link
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pogoliamo » Thu 16 Oct 2008, 11:37:23

Indians will be freely buying and selling gold coins. These are the first steps back to the gold standard.

Post offices start selling gold coins

Wed, Oct 15 03:35 PM

New Delhi, Oct 15 (ANI): Post Offices have started selling 24-carat gold coins from today. The coins will be available in over 100 India Post outlets in Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Gujarat in the pilot phase.

link
pogoliamo
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 08:27:39

Bloomberg: Asia backs Sarkozy's call for revamping financial system
By Jennifer M. Freedman and Jonathan Stearns
Oct. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Asian and European leaders called for an overhaul of global banking rules that date to World War II, lending support to French President Nicolas Sarkozy as he presses the U.S. to join an effort to resolve the financial crisis.

The heads of state and government "pledged to undertake effective and comprehensive reform of the international monetary and financial systems,'' according to a statement released at a meeting in Beijing that ended today. Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao told a press conference after the gathering of more than 40 Asian and European Union leaders that "we need even more financial regulation to ensure financial safety.''

The two-day summit was the first meeting of Asian and EU chiefs since calls for coordinated action mounted along with bank failures and plunging stock prices that began last month. The U.S. will host the Group of 20 industrialized and developing nations on Nov. 15 at the urging of Sarkozy.

South Korea said it "highly valued'' Sarkozy's "strong leadership.'' The French president has compared the effort to the 1944 Bretton Woods conference in New Hampshire that fixed exchange rates, hitched the world to the gold standard and created the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.

The EU has floated the ideas of including more bank supervision, stricter regulation of hedge funds, new rules for credit-rating companies and changes at the IMF.

'Falling Behind'
"The IMF, World Bank and other agencies are falling behind the times,'' said Jeon Hyochan, a researcher at Samsung Economic Research Institute in Seoul. "The agencies need to strengthen their ability to take pre-emptive measures.''

more at the link
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 09:28:30

This is not really the time for fixing the exchange rates, the economies are in so much flux that there needs to be a market to price them. Today economies are far more volatile than they were when Bretton Woods I failed or the ERM was attacked and destroyed. Also the US dollar was able to act as a global reserve currency, replacing the pound in that role in the long term. Now no currency is able to do that.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 09:35:44

dorlomin wrote:This is not really the time for fixing the exchange rates, the economies are in so much flux that there needs to be a market to price them. Today economies are far more volatile than they were when Bretton Woods I failed or the ERM was attacked and destroyed. Also the US dollar was able to act as a global reserve currency, replacing the pound in that role in the long term. Now no currency is able to do that.

a basket of currencies?

gold/silver?

a barrel of oil?

a btu?
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Micki » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 10:46:50

dorlomin wrote:This is not really the time for fixing the exchange rates, the economies are in so much flux that there needs to be a market to price them. Today economies are far more volatile than they were when Bretton Woods I failed or the ERM was attacked and destroyed. Also the US dollar was able to act as a global reserve currency, replacing the pound in that role in the long term. Now no currency is able to do that.

The exchange rate and "no currency is able to do that" is resolved with the re-introduction of a gold standard.
Each nation adopting this standard just needs to divide their monetary base with the gold reserves and you already have a measure that works.
USD became global reserve currency as it was considered "as good as gold" (i.e. backed by gold and redeemable by foreign nations in gold therefore as good as gold).
In the new system, any currency linked to the gold standard would do and Gold would defacto be the global reserve currency.

For this to work a longer time, gold really needs to be redeemable or you get another Nixon/closing of gold window event.
Micki

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 10:57:07

Micki wrote:
The exchange rate and "no currency is able to do that" is resolved with the re-introduction of a gold standard.
Each nation adopting this standard just needs to divide their monetary base with the gold reserves and you already have a measure that works.
USD became global reserve currency as it was considered "as good as gold" (i.e. backed by gold and redeemable by foreign nations in gold therefore as good as gold).
In the new system, any currency linked to the gold standard would do and Gold would defacto be the global reserve currency.
For this to work a longer time, gold really needs to be redeemable or you get another Nixon/closing of gold window event.

How much per oz do you figure, Micki? I'd like to spend the day ruminating on the very tiny chance I might strike it rich. Sort of like "what I'd do if I won the lottery". Sometimes I think that virtual exercise is more fun than the actual. :lol:
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Micki » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 21:14:59

threadbear wrote:
Micki wrote:
Each nation adopting this standard just needs to divide their monetary base with the gold reserves and you already have a measure that works. USD became global reserve currency as it was considered "as good as gold" (i.e. backed by gold and redeemable by foreign nations in gold therefore as good as gold).
How much per oz do you figure, Micki? I'd like to spend the day ruminating on the very tiny chance I might strike it rich. Sort of like "what I'd do if I won the lottery". Sometimes I think that virtual exercise is more fun than the actual. :lol:

HAHA Don't get too caught up in the greedy dreams.
Have to admit I play with the thought a bit as well but there are just too many parameters to plug in to figure out what the end result is likely to be. For instance, if they link currency to gold and that amount is huge, that would put the breaks on inflation, but would other things jump up first, to catch up with what they saw happening with gold?
And would that be a static or dynamic relation? i.e. they can't print more money until they have more gold or they can continue printing and just adjust POG according to M3 or something (it would defeat much of the purpose of a gold standard but I am thinking there will be some middle ground to allow for flecible leverage.)

Jim Sinclair who has been talking about a quasi-gold standard for a few years now has been saying it will be introduced at $1650. It would still fluctuate after introduction a hundred or two with M3 figures etc. He has expressed several times though that this is a minimum figure. He seems to think it will be higher and has once or twice said possibly significantly higher.

The issue I have with this is that if global oil production is in decline, price of oil will go up even if total money supply remains fixed.
Mining cost will therefore go up. So if gold price is fixed, it will lead to 1) mines shutting down as their product can't keep up with increaing costs (faster than just because of oil supply issues) 2) a drain of reserves as those who can will redeem the gold knowing there is less and less new gold hitting the market and/or 3) a decoupling again between reserve prices and real market prices (if common people can't redeem gold for their currency and there is less availability of physical, this will make the physical more attractive than an irredeemable paper promise).

On the higher end we can look at backing up all currency with gold.
Say US for instance has 8,000 tonnes (officially) of gold which should be roughly 256Million ounces and M3 might be say around $15Trillion. So dividing M3 with 256M gives you about $58,000 per oz.

Just some lose thoughts around the subject and perhaps someone here cares to comment as I haven't thought these through thoroughly.
1) If the government(s) come to the conclusion that a gold standard needs to be reintroduced. Why not go for the big gun?
It would help wipe out debts. If the standard is introduced overnight, there would be no mainstream exodus of money from paper to gold as many would wake up to $50K-$100K gold prices.
Such a move of course requires outmost secrecy as ALL players otherwise would move money into gold. Is it possible such outcome is only known by a few power men who already positioned themselves in gold (see US Mint sales graph) and they can force the government and fed reserve to make such move with short notice?

Rather than brushing off %50K+ POG because you can't imagine this appreciation or think the CB's will resist, I would like some fair comments on why this isn't practically possible. A better place to continue this particular discussion may be this thread

2) Introduction of a gold standard may not be beneficial to Silver.
i.e. if money is backed up only by gold, silver would revert back to being just an industrial metal. With good fundamentals, but not benefitting from overnight revaluation as gold would if the new standard is introduced. If gold is somehow locked in at $1650, I think silver will outdo gold percentage wise juust based on supply deficits. If Gold is locked in at $58,000 silver might still be struggling towards it's $50-500 range. I guess diversification is still the prudent thing.
Micki

Unread postby SweetSmellofMoney » Sat 25 Oct 2008, 22:24:12

pogoliamo wrote:
Oct. 15 (Bloomberg) -- European Central Bank President Jean- Claude Trichet said officials reshaping the world's financial system should try to return to the "discipline'' that governed markets in the decades after World War II.
"Perhaps what we need is to go back to the first Bretton Woods, to go back to discipline,'' Trichet said after giving a speech at the Economic Club of New York yesterday. "It's absolutely clear that financial markets need discipline: macroeconomic discipline, monetary discipline, market discipline.''
Brown, who has pushed for a decade to strengthen the hand of international authorities overseeing the financial system, said Oct. 13 in London that "we must devise new rules for a world of global capital flows'' just as the founders of Bretton Woods ``devised rules for a world of limited capital flows.

link OMG!!! Now it comes without saying it will be bellow market price. Or otherwise fixing it honestly like M1/ounces of gold owned by The Fed and ECB would imply a rate above 10 000$ per ounce. No that wont be allowed - they will come up with something like 100 or 200. History is being made...

Its called Mass Distraction! You confuse everyone to the point that the Global Player are no longer interested in cooperation but rather indoctination rather than dealing with the problems at hand!

What are the problems at hand, first the BIS, IMF and WB are not in line with Globalization.

Second, China's refusal to join the Global Currencies.

Third, The overall lack of tranparency amoung nations states.

Fourth, in a rush to expand the EU lost focus of where its needed to be and absorbed many nations which were corrupt to start with.

Finally, the WTO must revisit China and the rest of the nations members in order to find a solution to counterfeiting and an overall disregard for IP protections.

These are but a few very important points of interest, before Bretton Woods can be revisited!
GL
SweetSmellofMoney
Wood
Wood

Unread postby pogoliamo » Sun 26 Oct 2008, 12:42:05

SweetSmellofMoney wrote:Its called Mass Distraction! You confuse everyone to the point that the Global Player are no longer interested in cooperation but rather indoctination rather than dealing with the problems at hand!
What are the problems at hand, first the BIS, IMF and WB are not in line with Globalization.
Fourth, in a rush to expand the EU lost focus of where its needed to be and absorbed many nations which were corrupt to start with.
Finally, the WTO must revisit China and the rest of the nations members in order to find a solution to counterfeiting and an overall disregard for IP protections.
These are but a few very important points of interest, before Bretton Woods can be revisited!

Some good points here, SweetSmellofMoney. They are pulling our legs again. Probably they are trying to confuse us just to gain some more time. :evil:

Or by offering us a moment of recognition and by pretending they are concerned they hope to appear more responsible so we keep our hopes assiciated with them?

Disgusting. :-x
pogoliamo
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SweetSmellofMoney » Sun 26 Oct 2008, 20:52:06

pogoliamo wrote:
SweetSmellofMoney wrote:Its called Mass Distraction! You confuse everyone to the point that the Global Player are no longer interested in cooperation but rather indoctination rather than dealing with the problems at hand!

Some good points here, SweetSmellofMoney. They are pulling our legs again. Probably they are trying to confuse us just to gain some more time. :evil:

Or by offering us a moment of recognition and by pretending they are concerned they hope to appear more responsible so we keep our hopes assiciated with them?

Disgusting. :-x

Although, we are going to see the Emerging Markets continue lower and Crude continue to weaken only to be followed by PM and Commodities!'

With the ECB becoming ever more imprudent with their every move we swhould expect the EURO will in fact continue this current decline while the JPY has found a base at 100 vs the USD, in fact what we have seen is a marked move across the FOREX with Central Banks moving interest rates lower.

This the Chinese rattle the cage with calls for a decoupling of the USD as the global hegemony, which I find quite interesting considering their currency is the worlds most counterfeited currency! What do they expect for the world to lock into the Renminbi/Yuan (HAHAHAHA) not likely or maybe the EURO as it continues on the downward slope.

Indeed what we should see this week is the Treasury/Fed shore up the Financials/Banks and Insurance Industries sending equities ever higher stability will find its way into the markets this week.

Today Japan should find a number of safty nets strengthening its base as their Financials/Banks and Insurance Industries continue to build momentum. Unfortunately, it may be a day or two before the equities realize a bottom has been in place.

With the Carry Trade Unwind the Central Bank can focus on stabilizing its Macro/Micro Monetary Economy even though their are 100's of Billions of Carry Trade deals yet to unwind we expect that with the AUD and NZD still rather high even at todays standards those trades may have found a safe haven for the moment.

As I have stated on so many other post I continue to be a buyer of Wealth Creation Equities and will do so through the end of the year, as I forecast the US has already begun to settle out of much of its Macro/Micro Economic Woes!

Again, all charts indicate an impressive bounce in the works and we should continue this trend through mid Dec!

Regards
SweetSmellofMoney
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SweetSmellofMoney » Mon 27 Oct 2008, 01:23:26

pogoliamo wrote:
Oct. 15 (Bloomberg) -- European Central Bank President Jean- Claude Trichet said officials reshaping the world's financial system should try to return to the "discipline'' that governed markets in the decades after World War II.
Brown, who has pushed for a decade to strengthen the hand of international authorities overseeing the financial system, said Oct. 13 in London that ``we must devise new rules for a world of global capital flows'' just as the founders of Bretton Woods ``devised rules for a world of limited capital flows.

link
OMG!!! Now it comes without saying it will be bellow market price. Or otherwise fixing it honestly like M1/ounces of gold owned by The Fed and ECB would imply a rate above 10 000$ per ounce. No that wont be allowed - they will come up with something like 100 or 200. History is being made...

I telling you give a man an inch and he thinks he's arrived!
link

Truly a Mess when the Radical Socialist Puedo Communist think they have a better handle on Market Economies! Considering they just recently entered the WTO!

I suppose the fact that they still haven't been able to grasp the Western International Accounting Standards or that they have the most counterfeited currency in the World makes them the best judge of the Global Markets!

LOL! Its madness I say nothing but sheer madness! The Communist Party gets their panties in a bunch and they know better than hundreds of years of Capitalist State Economies!

Here in the states we have labour to no end which in fact can compete hand in hand with the Chinese labor as a matter of fact just to the south of the US is a vast resource of labor at very Much the same cost as that in China!

Go figure the WTO, IMF, WB, BIS and the Western Global Central Banks and Governments thought that China would join the group!Again, more failures brought on by the lack of Risk Management and Due Diligence!
Regards
SweetSmellofMoney
Wood
Wood

Unread postby pogoliamo » Wed 05 Nov 2008, 09:17:34

LONDON/HONG KONG, Nov 5 (Reuters) - World leaders urged U.S. President-elect Barack Obama on Wednesday to help build a new economic order and lead the globe out of its worst financial crisis since the 1930s.

Excitement about the historic election of Democrat Obama as the first black U.S. President was tempered by an awareness of the challenges he faces as the world's biggest economy heads towards recession.

"We need to change the current crisis into a new opportunity. We need a new deal for a new world. I sincerely hope that with the leadership of President Obama, the United States of America will join forces with Europe to drive this new deal," said European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.

link
pogoliamo
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Economics & Finance