Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Banks Borrowing $437 Billion Per Day From Fed

Unread postby mattduke » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:18:47

mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Banks Borrowing $437 Billion Per Day From Fed

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:27:56

"The banking system is going to become addicted to this very cheap money. Unwinding it will be very difficult," said Howard Simons, strategist with Bianco Research in Chicago. "We have effectively allowed the central banks to disintermediate the banking system. Why would I want to borrow from you if I could do it with the central bank, because they can always print it up and say 'here'...and they are in the business now of making sure I stay in business," Simons said.

Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby ubercrap » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:31:41

'We have effectively allowed the central banks to disintermediate the banking system. Why would I want to borrow from you if I could do it with the central bank, because they can always print it up and say 'here'...and they are in the business now of making sure I stay in business," Simons said.'

I think we can see where this is headed...

Edit: I see somebody cherrypicked the same paragraph- glad I'm not crazy...
Last edited by ubercrap on Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:33:41, edited 1 time in total.
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:32:01

Actually, it means the electronic equivalent of the printing presses are running 24/7.

Weimar here we come.

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:38:43

Cid_Yama wrote:Actually, it means the electronic equivalent of the printing presses are running 24/7.

Weimar here we come.

link

well i am waiting....

i mean if it has to be weimar, then get to it already so i can pay pay off some of my debts w/worthless money.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:46:52

You know how this works, they get to pay off their's, but your's will be 'adjusted'.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ubercrap » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:50:21

Cid_Yama wrote:You know how this works, they get to pay off their's, but your's will be 'adjusted'.

Exactly. They will not let you win that game. They make the rules and change them at will.
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby HEADER_RACK » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:50:22

Until I see semi-trucks backing up to banks to unload physical currency to the banks. I can't see weimar germany happening.
1s and 0s are fine when everything is running smooth but when confidence is gone and people want cash there isn't enough out there to go around.
Nothing is more dangerous than a man with nothing left to lose but has everything left to gain.
HEADER_RACK
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ubercrap » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:59:31

HEADER_RACK wrote:Until I see semi-trucks backing up to banks to unload physical currency to the banks. I can't see weimar germany happening.
1s and 0s are fine when everything is running smooth but when confidence is gone and people want cash there isn't enough out there to go around.

Who knows what will happen. Maybe your pay stays stagnant, but the nationalized banks start tacking zeros onto your account balance periodically A billion dollars in the bank now, debit card still works for a million dollar grocery bill, and now your indexed mortgage is a trillion dollars. Why, I don't see why the runup couldn't be higher and faster without the impediment of physical currency!
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:19:29

<b>The End of Money</b>

There are currently talks between banks for the conversion to a National Debit Card. In Europe it will be a Pan-European Debit Card under the auspices of SEPA.

Think what that will mean if there is no cash and all your transactions are electronic, and ultimately tracable.

They are also planning on including an RFID device on your card.

It will be the final nail in the coffin of your civil rights.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:38:54, edited 1 time in total.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:22:16

Header Rack-

I did some research and a little math this morning. My results may be interesting to you. I wanted to know how much physical money could be made in a day. My result: $700 million a day in 2007 (after taking into consideration the amount they destroy from old/ripped/etc bills).

About $4 billion a week, $16 billion a month, and about $200 billion a year of physical bills. Now this is all denominations. I guess maybe they could use all the presses to make all $100's? Although i doubt that. They could also work 7 days a week, where now i think they work 5 (government employees).

Still...it would take a long time to actually print all that money with the current equipment, although maybe the extra presses and paper are on their way.

Its a HELL of a lot faster to type the 1's and 0's into a computer and offer a debit card :) :) :)
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:24:34

Cid_Yama wrote:<b>The End of Money</b>

There are currently talks between banks for the conversion to a National Debit Card. In Europe it will be a Pan-European Debit Card under the auspices of SEPA.

Think what that will mean if there is no cash and all your transactions are electronic, and ultimately tracable.

It will be the final nail in the coffin of your civil rights.

There already is a pan-european chequing card. It has been in use since at least the mid-80s and essentially all accounts are enabled for this (as far as I know). So why a new card?
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Snowrunner » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:28:03

frankthetank wrote:Still...it would take a long time to actually print all that money with the current equipment, although maybe the extra presses and paper are on their way.

Maybe now would be a good time to invest into Heidelberger? [smilie=new_popcornsmiley.gif]
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:32:07

Cid-Yama-

Couple of thoughts.

First the drug trafficking. What would they do?

Another thought is if you did go to debit type system, i hope Microsoft doesn't create the software. I could see foreign governments using hackers to totally rip off the system (Russia, Cuba, Iran, N. Korea). I just read a report on MSNBC last week where people are putting scanners on gas station machines to read your debit card and that they say to use either cash or credit card when you pay for gas.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:45:10

I believe the conversion to a national and eventually transnational debit card has been a goal for years before this crisis. It is another move towards <b>CONTROL</b>.

If they can track your transactions and your location, and be able to put a stop on your card at any time, they've got you by the balls.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 14:52:02

Cid_Yama wrote:It is another move towards <b>CONTROL</b>.

I gotta say I agree with you there.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 15:01:43

Note that the name of the card is Maestro. If you look at the definition/derivation of the term it is MASTER. Somebody's sick joke?

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 15:11:34

<i>There already is a pan-european chequing card. It has been in use since at least the mid-80s and essentially all accounts are enabled for this (as far as I know). So why a new card?</i>

In continental Europe, Maestro is, de facto, the successor to the Eurocheque system, since most European banks issued Maestro cards after the Eurocheque card had been discontinued. link

1984, knocking on your door
will you let it come
will you let it run your life?

It's time you started thinking inside your head
that you should stand up and fight
Just where will you be when your freedom is dead
You're never out of their sight

link

link

link
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Fri 17 Oct 2008, 16:54:13, edited 3 times in total.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 15:54:11

Thanks for the excellent link on the Weimar economy, Cid.

First the drug trafficking. What would they do?

The organized crime per se has been having a ball with the housing bubble and financial instruments. Maybe the more savvy could launder the physical cash from the dealers, dunno. Or perhaps they'll take up using scrip. Or this is a NWO scheme to privatize/corpratize all forms of drug use?
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 16:10:19

tHEdude-

Or junkies will start trading scrap metal for their next fix? Bag of rice for some heroin?
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance