Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Acetonitrile?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Peak Acetonitrile?

Unread postby la2al2tex » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 16:12:10

link As a chemist, I wondered when stuff like this might happen...
I usually get my ACN from VWR. They just sent me a letter today that said and I quote:

'Due to a world-wide shortage of Acetonitrile, our leading suppliers have declared Force Majeure and ongoing supply is severely limited. Product is being allocated to VWR from our chemical suppliers, and as a result we will be allocating to our customers based upon a factor of their past usage. We intend to support our loyal customers with allocated quantities while product supply lasts; therefore, will regrettably be unable to fulfill orders from customers whom have not ordered Acetonitrile recently from us until the situation changes.'

I called up Fisher and they told me that they are also affected by the ACN shortage, but they are not allocating their supply.
I'm surprised that no one has heard of this.

Fixed link per COC: 3.1.2 "Graphic content: In addition, do not include long URLs that cause the page view to widen and requires the reader to scroll." Please use the hyperlink function (instructions in the 'How To Get Around This Site..." thread in the Welcome Forum.) Thank you.-FL
la2al2tex
Wood
Wood

Re: Peak Acetonitrile?

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 16:21:01

We're doomed!! :eek:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 16:30:53

Happily, I've been stockpiling acetonitrile for the last few years.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 17:22:34

Does this by any chance mean that nitrile gloves are about to shoot up in price? (I hope.)
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Delphis » Fri 17 Oct 2008, 17:54:25

Damn,

What else can I use to remove my black nailpolish and rhinestone baphomet nail embellishments?

Shoot!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."....Albert Einstein
Delphis
Peat
Peat

Location: Hobbiton, but it's looking more like Mordor by the day...oh! hey Sauron, I didn't see you behind me!

Unread postby la2al2tex » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 01:49:41

Delphis wrote:Damn,

What else can I use to remove my black nailpolish and rhinestone baphomet nail embellishments?

Shoot!

I hope you've been using acetone for that, not acetonitrile.
la2al2tex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 07:57:04

We use about 100 gallons of acetonitrile per year in our lab as one of the chief eluents for the HPLC. (We analyze air samples for aldehydes and ketones using the DNPH capture and extraction method. See EPA TO-11A method

The problem is that we can't have over 50 gallons of any one solvent on site at any one time due to fire regs, so we can't stock up.

EPA may not get carbonyl data from us if ACN shortages occur.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pinewillow » Sun 19 Oct 2008, 19:16:07

Acetonitrile is the cheapest way to make phelpropanolamine or a precursor to methamphetameen.

probably being sent to afganistan where it is converted to more expensive material.
pinewillow
Wood
Wood

Unread postby pup55 » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 16:21:35

Just FYI.....

acrylonitrile is the material for which acetonitrile is the by-product.

It is co-polymerized with butadiene to make "nitrile elastomer". This useful material is suited for applications which require exposure to oil (i.e. in oilfield ) there are a few alternatives, but they are costly.

Also, this material is popular when combined with PVC and blowing agents to make the foam insulating materials that we all love for our hot water pipes (and koozies).

Just saying....

Zeon Chemicals

The oil field presents a most demanding and diverse group of applications for elastomers. Elastomeric materials in oil field service play major roles in protecting workers, equipment, and the environment as well as enhancing drilling and zone isolation to maximize well production. From blow-out preventers (BOP) designed to seal off the well from potentially destructive pressures to down-hole packers used to isolate zones for further evaluation
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 21:34:34

I rant a lot about the evils of nitrile. I hate it because latex allergy is one of those really minor and generally insignificant problems that everyone loves to have so they can be "sick". All the big healthcare organizations have responded by banning latex. We used to use gloves that were really nice and stretchy, were made from sustainably grown tree sap, and were 100% biodegradable. Now we get gloves that cost 5 times as much, aren't very stretchy, are a petroleum product, and don't biodegrade. The people mandating it, somehow see it as being an improvement. Personally I'd be quite happy if nitrile gloves went up to $30 a pair.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 21:51:50

smallpoxgirl wrote:I rant a lot about the evils of nitrile. I hate it because latex allergy is one of those really minor and generally insignificant problems that everyone loves to have so they can be "sick". All the big healthcare organizations have responded by banning latex. We used to use gloves that were really nice and stretchy, were made from sustainably grown tree sap, and were 100% biodegradable. Now we get gloves that cost 5 times as much, aren't very stretchy, are a petroleum product, and don't biodegrade. The people mandating it, somehow see it as being an improvement. Personally I'd be quite happy if nitrile gloves went up to $30 a pair.

+1

They like it because the "answer" to the "problem" was easy and did not step on anyone toes. So they could leave the meeting thinking was good responsive people they are without needed to do anything difficult to make the system substantively better.

I'll stop before I start really rolling.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Energy Technology