Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When The US Dollar Gets Devalued

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

When The US Dollar Gets Devalued

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 07:29:27

I think that probably after the US elections, and due to the trillions of US fiat dollars that are flying around the world. That there will be a devaluation of the US dollar. My question is, how will that impact Canada and Alberta in particular? Lets also add the Geopolitics of the world.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: When The US Dollar Gets Devalued

Unread postby sittinguy » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 10:17:39

Retail sales should push things over the edge. Enjoy the end, changes are coming.
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby RdSnt » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 12:54:25

Since the USD is still regarded as the global reserve currency, as it is devalued inflation will rise. All other fiat currencies, including Canada's will also be devalued. Thus, everything becomes much more expensive.

My opinion is that it is inevitable that the USD is done as the reserve currency. In reality it is worthless now. All the bailouts and currency inflation around the world is simply a delaying tactic. There is no rational purpose to the delay, it's like a bad tooth. You know it has to be pulled but you delay and delay cause you know it's going to hurt. All the while putting up with the pain of a rotting tooth.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 12:57:13

RdSnt wrote:Since the USD is still regarded as the global reserve currency, as it is devalued inflation will rise. All other fiat currencies, including Canada's will also be devalued. Thus, everything becomes much more expensive.

My opinion is that it is inevitable that the USD is done as the reserve currency. In reality it is worthless now. All the bailouts and currency inflation around the world is simply a delaying tactic. There is no rational purpose to the delay, it's like a bad tooth. You know it has to be pulled but you delay and delay cause you know it's going to hurt. All the while putting up with the pain of a rotting tooth.

yeah, but if your bad tooth had a gun pointed to your head and told you that if you even thought about going to the dentist, he'd pull the trigger... well then i guess you'd just have to live w/it, right? :P
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Snowrunner » Sat 18 Oct 2008, 13:06:20

nobodypanic wrote:
RdSnt wrote:Since the USD is still regarded as the global reserve currency, as it is devalued inflation will rise. All other fiat currencies, including Canada's will also be devalued. Thus, everything becomes much more expensive.

yeah, but if your bad tooth had a gun pointed to your head and told you that if you even thought about going to the dentist, he'd pull the trigger... well then i guess you'd just have to live w/it, right? :P
What kind of gun would that be though?

This is, I think, the biggest irony coming out of the Bush "doctrine": They got called on their own bluff, the idea to invade another country to "bring freedom and democracy" is a non-starter, even if the US would bring all their troops home tomorrow they are spent, both personell and equipmentwise.

I guess they could always press the big red button, but if that's the case then I think we all are going to have bigger problems (and I hope I am very very close to Ground Zero).
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance