Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Collapse Reaching Levels of Russia 1990's Collapse/Moneyw

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 22 Oct 2008, 19:59:11

"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: US Collapse Reaching Levels of Russia 1990's Collapse/Mo

Unread postby sittinguy » Wed 22 Oct 2008, 20:42:48

Well it must not be that big of a problem in Florida yet. Today at the Hotel I work at we had a Florida State Green team show up. We are trying to get a Green rating to qualify for state bissiness. 3 guys showed up, 2 hardly spoke a word in 6 hours, the main guy never shut up. We have the 4th highest rated Hilton in north america (really) and we failed. He had some wonderfull ideas like, motion sensors on the Coke machine face lights so that when the guest walks up the light would automaticly light up and then go back out on its own.

Never mind the refrigeration cooling 100 cans of soda, but the light in the front was such a waste.???//////';slniuyfb1;jvb[2

Then he suggested we get rid of our grass and replace it with drought tolerant shrubs.

I didn't say much through the inspection.

But the whole time I was thinking I would like to say

It must be nice to work for the only sector still growing,, The Government.

These people are why I hope it all goes to hell. And why I buy ammo in bulk.
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby WyoDutch » Wed 22 Oct 2008, 21:11:11

sittinguy wrote:It must be nice to work for the only sector still growing,, The Government.

These people are why I hope it all goes to hell. And why I buy ammo in bulk.

Well said Sir... well said.

I have those same thoughts every time a brand new, U.S. government 3/4-ton 4 wheel drive pickup truck stops in our little town and a fat-assed government employee whips out that GSA credit card and fills up at the taxpayers expense. The same resentment I suspect that the Iraqi people feel everytime one of our military kicks in their front door and pisses on their prayer rug.
WyoDutch
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 02:28:02

Obviously those who have written that article know next to nothing about Soviet collapse, doesn't matter.

US will get there for sure, but you have to wait a while more to see that.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jato » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 03:05:09

the San Diego County Sheriff's Department just implemented a hiring freeze. They are also look for ways to cut from 5% to 10% from the total budget.
jato

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 09:04:44

jato wrote:the San Diego County Sheriff's Department just implemented a hiring freeze. They are also look for ways to cut from 5% to 10% from the total budget.

Next they will eliminate some positions, thing is they are “existing positions” on the books and never have been filled in the first place. Them devils are pretty clever. Yeah - we made some cuts! :razz:
vision-master

Unread postby frankthetank » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 09:17:38

Wisconsin is suppose to have a $3 billion deficit... They raise my taxes anymore and i'll stop paying the mortgage and let the bank have it.

Let this economic mess work through the system. Job cuts lead to more cuts, lead to less income, lead to more crime, lead to less taxes, lead to complete meltdown.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby RSFB » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 09:23:02

WyoDutch wrote:The same resentment I suspect that the Iraqi people feel everytime one of our military kicks in their front door and pisses on their prayer rug.

Yes, that's exactly the same thing :roll:
RSFB
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 10:03:01

My county is forcing all employees to take one day off per month, unpaid.

This includes firemen, EMTs, and managers - all levels.

The newspaper said it might lead to a shortage of ambulance personnel, so managers are being prepped to staff the emergency services if needed.

But at the same time, they just opened a county owned multi-million dollar water park (which can only operate during warm months here) AND they are going to build a multi-million dollar pedistrian bridge downtown as part of a "redevelopment" project that is supposed to bring a multi-story office building and hotel.

Yeah, dream on...

My husband is a teacher and our sole source of income. I wonder how long until they shorten the school week? I think we will see teacher jobs cut next year and class sizes increased. I hope he can keep his job. I'm also a teacher (turned stay at home mom for now), so that won't help us much now. He did get a 2% raise but then our insurance cost went up by $50 a month and our deductible doubled from $400 to $800 per person.
IgnoranceIsBliss
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MadMarcus » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 10:55:19

I'm betting / predicting that while there will be trouble for educators (k-12) but few real lost jobs in core (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) areas. Longer work days, bigger class sizes, cuts in central office personnel, cuts to elective programs, and reduction in benefits are assured though.
MadMarcus
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SuperTico » Thu 23 Oct 2008, 11:53:35

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:My county is forcing all employees to take one day off per month, unpaid.

This includes firemen, EMTs, and managers - all levels.

The newspaper said it might lead to a shortage of ambulance personnel, so managers are being prepped to staff the emergency services if needed.

But at the same time, they just opened a county owned multi-million dollar water park (which can only operate during warm months here) AND they are going to build a multi-million dollar pedistrian bridge downtown as part of a "redevelopment" project that is supposed to bring a multi-story office building and hotel.

Yeah, dream on...

My husband is a teacher and our sole source of income. I wonder how long until they shorten the school week? I think we will see teacher jobs cut next year and class sizes increased. I hope he can keep his job. I'm also a teacher (turned stay at home mom for now), so that won't help us much now. He did get a 2% raise but then our insurance cost went up by $50 a month and our deductible doubled from $400 to $800 per person.

Dont you just love capitalizzm ? :x
Your health deductible is $800 ?
Ours is $920..... not the deductible but the whole policy for 2 for a year with international coverage and air transport ( if necessary) for both of us.
HOWEVER
It doesn't cover the good ole US of M-pyre whos health care quality is iffy at best.
Don't matter 2 me. My last flight out was one way and permanent.
SuperTico
Peat
Peat

Return to Economics & Finance