Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Barclays Capital Oil Sketches, November 2008

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Barclays Capital Oil Sketches, November 2008

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 07 Nov 2008, 15:36:37

From their research department. I had never crossed this report before, seems solid with all kinds of cool graphs.

November 2008

This intro sounds doomerish enough for PO.com :)

Burning violins
Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin,
Dance me through the panic ’til I’m gathered safely in,
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove,
Dance me to the end of love.
-- Leonard Cohen, Dance me to the end of love.

The titles we have used for Oil Sketches this year seem to have been conditioned by a gathering sense of gloom. In recent months, we have gone from Twist in My Sobriety, onto Twilight World, Dark Rainbow and Blue Moves. Not exactly cheerful then. If we were using Tanita Tikaram titles back in April, then we must now be in full-blown Leonard Cohen territory. Indeed, the global economic situation became gloomier so fast that we have not even had to pause at Lloyd Cole or Suzanne Vega. Straight to Leonard Cohen without passing go. And most worryingly for everyone involved, we have more than enough Leonard Cohen albums to provide enough titles to keep us going for a very long time.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Barclays Capital Oil Sketches, November 2008

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sun 09 Nov 2008, 13:49:06

On pages 5-7, this report shows a decline in oil sand production in 2008. Of the three major Canadian oil sand projects scheduled to come on-line in 2008 two are way over costs and the third has been halted.

I guess the 37 mbd in oil sand production estimated by 2030 by the cornucopians must be becoming ridiculous even to them. The Alberta oil sands group currently predicts 3 mbd by 2015. Of course, they have more oil than Saudi Arabia :)

If I didn't know otherwise, I would have guessed this report to be coming from a PO group.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models